Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Florida)

Wild74

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

To be honest, DeSantis is not the best shot. The GOP has not got much of a chance unless they learn to get to "vote out", like the democrats do......

Ballot harvesting and delay tactics until they manufacture enough votes to win? ....

• Thanks 1

Tragic story of one of his closest friends committing suicide, after years of special privileges and insider status, because he was accused of a crime. Was it suicide? Was it? (Just taking a page from the GOP playbook and the Clintons.)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prominent-florida-donor-intertwined-desantis-185619297.html

Prominent Florida Donor Intertwined With DeSantis—and the Law—Found Dead by Suicide

Corbin Bolies

Florida Board of Governors

Florida Board of Governors

An influential Republican donor and close ally to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis who died by suicide was under active investigation by the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, officials said.

“This investigation remains ongoing at this time and will continue until its completion. As with all active investigations, there is limited information available to release at this time,” Jacksonville Sheriff T. K. Waters told the Florida Times-Union of Kent Stermon’s death. “However, as soon as this investigation has been completed, all applicable information will be available for release to the public.”

Sources close to the office told the Times-Union the investigation involved alleged sexual misconduct. Stermon was found dead in a truck at an Atlantic Beach, Florida, post office parking lot on Thursday, though foul play is not suspected.

Stermon’s death marked a confounding moment within Florida politics because of his close kinship with a myriad of political figures including DeSantis, whose political operations have received more than $60,000 of his and his family’s funds. When DeSantis was iced out of his congressional district in 2016 after redistricting, he moved into a condo co-owned by Stermon in order to run again, according to a 2018 Politico story. The governor later named Stermon to his transition team.

Stermon, who ran the defense contractor Total Military Management, has spent an overall $140,000 in state political contributions.

“The Governor and First Lady were shocked and saddened to hear of Kent’s passing, and their prayers (and our entire office’s prayers) are with his family during this difficult time,” the governor’s office told Politico, though it said it had no prior knowledge of the investigation.

His connections weren’t limited to the governor’s mansion. An investigation by WJXT found Stermon—a prolific donor to former Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams—had an access card to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office headquarters for the last five years despite not working there.

After hundreds of swipes since 2017, it stopped being used on Nov. 15—just after Sheriff T. K. Waters was sworn in as sheriff.

The disclosure was first made by attorney John Phillips, who is representing a former JSO deputy, on Twitter, noting a rumor that his badge access was set to change. It prompted a reply from, of all people, Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry. “You aren’t worth a reply as you are a media #### with no compass,” Curry wrote in a since-deleted tweet. “But you mention my friend, Kent, and I am compelled to reply. Pound sand, chump.”

He was also paid handsomely in political appointments. In 2019, DeSantis appointed Stermon to the state’s 17-member Board of Governors, the influential body that oversees its state university system. Stermon’s appointment was set to run through 2026, according to its website.

“We are deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Governor Kent Stermon,” the Board of Governors told Politico. “For the last three years, Kent has served on this board with distinction. He has been a champion of higher education and student success in Florida and a long-time supporter of the University of North Florida in many ways throughout the years. The Board of Governors sends its heartfelt condolences to Kent’s family during this difficult time.”

• LOL! 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

You should follow the money in all politicians, try following the money for those that want to test students in schools....635 million dollars per year for testing students....always follow the money & you'll find the corruption. 

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

You should follow the money in all politicians, try following the money for those that want to test students in schools....635 million dollars per year for testing students....always follow the money & you'll find the corruption. 

100% correct

Its a sick story in education. Not just testing, curriculum etc.

Be surprised who///.what group pushed this. Well you wouldn't be surprised.

Has not been a coincidence.

6 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

The old saying that politics makes strange bedfellows would apply to any politician.  I don't care who they have been associated with at Social Parties or who donates money to them.  What I care about is if they make America or their States stronger for their citizens something the Democrats don't do.  

9 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

The old saying that politics makes strange bedfellows would apply to any politician.  I don't care who they have been associated with at Social Parties or who donates money to them.  What I care about is if they make America or their States stronger for their citizens something the Democrats don't do.  

Or...

People who haven’t met him think he’s a hot commodity. People who have met him aren’t so sure: https://archive.vn/I1mlL

DeSantis works harder than Trump does, and is more disciplined and capable of adapting. He attended Yale and Harvard Law School and clearly took some classes in populism. He could conceivably grow more adept at carrying on conversations in diners and pretending to care about the pet issues of self-important state reps in the North Country.

But certain political skills are more innate, and require an ability to ad-lib that DeSantis lacks. He can appear needlessly snappish and reactive (earlier this year, he scolded a group of high-school students for wearing masks onstage behind him). One particular interlude during DeSantis’s 2022 campaign bears revisiting. It occurred during a debate with his Democratic opponent, Charlie Crist, who attempted to pin down the governor on whether he would commit to serving out his four-year term if reelected. In other words, was DeSantis running for president in 2024 or not? “Yes or no, Ron?” Crist pressed him. DeSantis froze. “It’s a fair question and he won’t tell you,” Crist said, filling the silence.

Finally, a moderator jumped in and reminded the candidates that they were not permitted to ask each other direct questions, allowing DeSantis to regroup. “Well, I know that Charlie is interested in talking about 2024 and Joe Biden,” DeSantis said, delivering what was clearly a rehearsed line. “But I just want to make this very, very clear. The only worn-out old donkey I’m looking to put out to pasture is Charlie Crist.” Cute recovery. But still awkward.

DeSantis probably figured—rightly—that he was in no danger of losing to Crist and might as well suffer through the silence rather than complicate things when he decides to bolt from Florida to run for president. But a fluid politician could have better finessed that exchange. And Trump likely took note and filed this away. “He knew and assessed the weaknesses of DeSantis on the debate stage and in the media space,” Wilson wrote in his Resolute Square essay, concluding that Trump will tear him to pieces. “He smelled blood.”

Republicans who want to save the party from Trump are investing great hope in a blank slate. The New York Post has dubbed him “DeFuture.” I would dub that DeBatable.