Crawford

State Championship  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Hawley Bearcats
    • Refugio Bobcats

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, WolfNation said:

Imo the real 2AD1 state game has been between R3 and R4 in the semi finals for the last few years, so my money is clearly on Refugio.

I agree, but I'm pulling for Hawley. They were here last season and got thumped by Shiner. Probably going to lose a lot of starters, so I hope they win it all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Hawley played a good first half last year in the title game…14-12 at half. They just got jumped on in the second half and couldn’t get going at all.

Watching both tonight on NFHS Refugio just looks quicker, faster, and more athletic. The DLine impressed me.

Agree with this 100%

Hawley played last years state championship game without their starting safety/RB who got hurt in the semifinals last year. We were sitting with the Hawley fans for the Championship game last year, they hung in there vs Shiner but those brothers were just too much for them. 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bears8T9 said:

The way Refugio players acted during the last minute of the game and especially after the game in the semis against Timpson…. I’m pulling for Hawley 

On 12/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, dfwfootballfan said:

What did they do?

Still no answer from @Bears8T9 on what Refugio players did?  Always classy to throw out an accusation like that and not give any details. 

1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

Still no answer from @Bears8T9 on what Refugio players did?  Always classy to throw out an accusation like that and not give any details. 

Yeh, oh well. I watched the game, I didn't see anything, and it was late late, like :17 seconds left when Refugio took the lead so they couldn't have been doing much during the last few minutes, otherwise they would have been penalized.  After the game both sides were absolutely gassed, they both were just physically spent. If something happened it must have been afterwards, I wasn't there so I wouldn't know. It was a great game...

From Refugio Sports Network Facebook:

Trivia for you:

The Refugio Bobcats have more playoff wins (3) at AT&T Stadium than the Dallas Cowboys have had (2) since 2011. Refugio will be playing for their 4th win at AT&T Stadium on Thursday.  Both teams are tied with 5 championships each.

FB_IMG_1670904432434.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, Bears8T9 said:

The way Refugio players acted during the last minute of the game and especially after the game in the semis against Timpson…. I’m pulling for Hawley 

Still no answer on what they supposedly did that was so egregious.  I was on the field the entire game and after.  I didn't see anything.

18 minutes ago, Everide2016 said:

Still no answer on what they supposedly did that was so egregious.  I was on the field the entire game and after.  I didn't see anything.

What was your thoughts on the late 4th down where Timpson came up short? I thought the D line shot the gap fast enough it forced Bus to make that cut a lot faster than he wanted to. I didn’t see it as a simple slip but as a good defensive play.

6 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

What was your thoughts on the late 4th down where Timpson came up short? I thought the D line shot the gap fast enough it forced Bus to make that cut a lot faster than he wanted to. I didn’t see it as a simple slip but as a good defensive play.

Yes, that could be.  My take from the Timpson v Refugio thread is below, posted the day after the game: 

Regarding "The Slip," since many have pointed out Timpson perhaps wins without it. 

The first down marker was just inside the 28 yd line.  Bussey slipped down at the 33 yd line.  The commentator from NFHS or Texan Live says, "Bussey had nothing but clear sailing in front of him," which wasn't the case.  Refugio had 3-4 defenders at the 29 directly in front of him.  We can speculate forevermore, but certainly a good chance those defenders make the tackle and we have the same result.  We'll never know.

What we do know is that Refugio took possession with 3:44 remaining and effectively drove the ball down for the win.  During this drive they had 5 players touch the ball on 9 plays, and a 6th player kicking the field goal, taking their first lead of the game with only 9 seconds left.  TEAM.

Edited by Everide2016
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1000 said:

I believe too soon for that guy. 

Yep, speaking from the heart, not the mind...amazing what fanatacism will do to a person...I am sure I've been there before, seems the older I get the more accepting of any circumstance I become...my wife tells me I am just passive aggressive lol!

• Like 1

• Crawford changed the title to 🏆2A D1 UIL State Championship Hawley 54 Refugio 28 Final🏆