My final 4A D2 Rankings:

1. CarthageΒ 

2. Gilmer

3. Glen Rose

4. Pleasant GroveΒ 

5. Wimberly

Β 

My reasoning for Gilmer over Glen Rose:

Football is all about matchups. The strength of the Glen Rose team was its offense. Β The defense was good but not great. Carthage scored on every possession without a fumble or interception, and the Carthage offense pulled away from Glen Rose defenders in space. With the speed of the Gilmer skill possession players, I think Gilmer would have been able to score on them as well. Which means the key matchup of the game would have been the Gilmer defense Vs Glen Rose offense. And I think the Gilmer D line led by Ward would have made enough stops for Gilmer to win.Β 
Β 

enough of my rant. Congratulations Carthage on championship #9. I would LOVE to see a Carthage / China Spring battle royal for all of 4A

1 hour ago, bossman1 said:

I think he takes pretty good care of them otherwise I don’t think they would stick around if they felt that they were being cheated on the $$$…most of the ones that have left tried coming back at some point

I can think of at least three assistants who not only tried to come back after leaving, but did come back. One of those is still on the staff.

51 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

My final 4A D2 Rankings:

1. CarthageΒ 

2. Gilmer

3. Glen Rose

4. Pleasant GroveΒ 

5. Wimberly

Β 

Football is all about matchups. The strength of the Glen Rose team was its offense. Β The defense was good but not great. Carthage scored on every possession without a fumble or interception, and the Carthage offense pulled away from Glen Rose defenders in space. With the speed of the Gilmer skill possession players, I think Gilmer would have been able to score on them as well. Which means the key matchup of the game would have been the Gilmer defense Vs Glen Rose offense. And I think the Gilmer D line led by Ward would have made enough stops for Gilmer to win.Β 
Β 

enough of my rant. Congratulations Carthage on championship #9. I would LOVE to see a Carthage / China Spring battle royal for all of 4A

Carthage would have beat China Spring just as bad as wimberly the way they played today.Β 
The absolute best defense in all of 4A.Β 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CasualObserver70 said:

My final 4A D2 Rankings:

1. CarthageΒ 

2. Gilmer

3. Glen Rose

4. Pleasant GroveΒ 

5. Wimberly

Β 

Β 

We would kill them. Β I stayed and watched their game and they are nowhere near as good as they were last year.Β 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Carthage would have beat China Spring just as bad as wimberly the way they played today.Β 
The absolute best defense in all of 4A.Β 

From what I saw this is correct. I believe Cs would give a much better game but ultimately Carthage would have won soundly.

12 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

Gonna go with De la Salle in Concord, CA. A 12 year, 151 game winning streak with multiple β€œnational championships β€œ. But Carthage, Aledo, & Katy have to be on the very short list of greatest program in Texas.Β 

Kalifornia has far and away the most watered down State Championship system in America ... a few of those "great" De la Salle teams got embarrassed playing out of state teams ...Β 

On 12/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

Ball will get at least half of that based on the number of carries and sheer determination. Β  Ball is a baller.

He had 93 yards.Β 
That Dawg D punished him all game.Β 
I thought he was the best player on their team.Β 
I knew the Dawg D was going to show the state that they were the best in 4A but I sure didn’t know they were going to dominate like they did.Β 

17 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Johnny Ball ran hard all night and never quit. He got next to 0 help from his O-line. He was hit at or behind the line on pretty much every play. He had no chance to make anything special happen.

I'm not going to judge him off that performance.

Agree. Β He still had close to 100 yards and probably 50 broken tackles. Β Put him behind the Carthage OL yesterday with equal carries and he gets 40-50 more yards.

The INT by Rock was insane, he was covering another receiver. He turns his head to look back at the QB and see’s him throwing the ball and leaves the receiver he was on, takes off and like a thief. Catches the ball a split second before it hits the receivers hand. Returns it 42 yards. You know the Wimberly fans, went, Β what the heck, where did he come from. Absolutely amazing.Β 

Thinking back about 4 months before the season began, many -and maybe most - were predicting that Carthage would win their 9th state championship yesterday. What hardly anyone - and maybe no one - was predicting was that the defense would be as dominant as it was (at least for 15 of the 16 games).

Only 2 defensive starters returned from the great defense of 2021. Roquemore and Harper were expected to play like the veterans they were, and they didn’t disappoint. But the other 9 starters stepped in and played like champions from the very start.

To be continued…

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BevBrownJr said:

Thinking back about 4 months before the season began, many -and maybe most - were predicting that Carthage would win their 9th state championship yesterday. What hardly anyone - and maybe no one - was predicting was that the defense would be as dominant as it was (at least for 15 of the 16 games).

Only 2 defensive starters returned from the great defense of 2021. Roquemore and Harper were expected to play like the veterans they were, and they didn’t disappoint. But the other 9 starters stepped in and played like champions from the very start.

To be continued…

The 2 leading rushers from 2021 both moved to defense for their senior seasons. OLB V. Cabada, a 2nd-team Academic All-Stater, and S Z. Williams joined fellow seniors Roquemore, Harper, MLB Marry, and DEs KD Bell and A. Lewis to lead the way on the defensive side of the ball. Marry and Lewis had given evidence of what they were capable in 2021 with stellar play on special teams and solid play as reserves. Bell, the starting TE in 2021, was the only 2-way starter for the Bulldogs for most of this championship season.

And the contributions of the underclassmen were spectacular. CB Pipkins, D-linemen Morrow, Allison and Hodges and OLB Ingram had unbelievable first years on the varsity. (Actually, Morrow was the 1st reserve at DL on the varsity for a good portion of his freshman season.)

Add it all up, and the Bulldogs never missed a beat defensively in 2022 despite losing 9 starters from the outstanding 2021 defense.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know this would never happen now. But I would have liked to see Carthage play Aledo when they were 5a d2. It could have happened. Marshall, Nac, and Texas High is 5a d2. I know it won't happen now. That would have been a great chess match between two great coaches and programs.

• Like 1