AT&T State Championships

Ronster23

24 minutes ago, JR88 said:

Unless it’s raining. They talked a good game in 2004 when we played them at SFA. Only a few hundred compared to us filling up the away side 

To be fair, if I recall it was an absolute Monsoon that evening.  I, for one, was miserable in the stands. lol

One of my favorite things to do this time of year is compare the crowds for college bowl games to the crowds at the State Championship games in Arlington. Traditionally, the 2A games outdraw some of the lower tier bowl games. You generally have to get to the New Years Six bowls before you see crowds that match the 5A/ 6A games. It will be very interesting to see this year. 

Was able to attend in person and catch the last 9 games. Had a great time. Met some interesting people and had good discussions. A bit disappointed in the lopsidedness of most of the games. Incredible talent out there that is for sure. Since I had no emotional or physical connection with any team it was enjoyable to just sit and watch and admire the skill of the players and the emotions shown. Also really enjoyed observing the different fan bases and the passion for the sport and their teams. Looking forward to doing it all over again next year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Was able to attend in person and catch the last 9 games. Had a great time. Met some interesting people and had good discussions. A bit disappointed in the lopsidedness of most of the games. Incredible talent out there that is for sure. Since I had no emotional or physical connection with any team it was enjoyable to just sit and watch and admire the skill of the players and the emotions shown. Also really enjoyed observing the different fan bases and the passion for the sport and their teams. Looking forward to doing it all over again next year.

Hope you enjoyed our lopsided game.

I know folks have argued this in the past and I suppose that everyone has decided to have the State Championship at AT&T forever from this point forward. It would be interesting to see the outcomes if the Championships were played at NRG on occasion.

Seems the southern teams have faired better when the Championships were played in Houston.

6 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

I know folks have argued this in the past and I suppose that everyone has decided to have the State Championship at AT&T forever from this point forward. It would be interesting to see the outcomes if the Championships were played at NRG on occasion.

Seems the southern teams have faired better when the Championships were played in Houston.

GO North Shore hasn’t been hindered.  Know they lost this year, and their coach whined about it before playing the game, but I think it’s just an excuse.

Scott Surratt has always said the Bulldogs will play anybody, anywhere.

If Carthage had to play in NRG or at UTEP for the state championship I’m picking the Bulldogs to win.

Bunch of wimps crying about the state championships being played in the greatest stadium in Texas.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

GO North Shore hasn’t been hindered.  Know they lost this year, and their coach whined about it before playing the game, but I think it’s just an excuse.

Scott Surratt has always said the Bulldogs will play anybody, anywhere.

If Carthage had to play in NRG or at UTEP for the state championship I’m picking the Bulldogs to win.

Bunch of wimps crying about the state championships being played in the greatest stadium in Texas.  

No one said anything about NS or that it was "the" single factor in any particular game this year. However, It is a completely settled sports fact that teams do better playing at home than on the road. 

How did Houston area teams do the last time it was at NRG? 

7 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

No one said anything about NS or that it was "the" single factor in any particular game this year. However, It is a completely settled sports fact that teams do better playing at home than on the road. 

How did Houston area teams do the last time it was at NRG? 

From my perspective, we could play in NRG or the Alamo Dome, AT&T or McLane Stadium on BU’s campus, I don’t care, because our team and HC doesn’t care.  

The Refugio coach embarrassed himself.

20 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

The best part about Bally taking over Fox Southwest is I haven't seen anything of that goofball Ric Renner yet at the State Championship games at Jerruh World .... 

image.png

Ric is a great dude, really one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He doesnt work for Bally any longer, thanks to whoever gave the compliment to the DCTF crew on Bally...Tepper and Pickle work super hard to bring a good product 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Ric is a great dude, really one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He doesnt work for Bally any longer, thanks to whoever gave the compliment to the DCTF crew on Bally...Tepper and Pickle work super hard to bring a good product 

DCTF Team does well in bringing the championship week to the masses.  I just wish y’all hadn’t have hidden them away this year in that section no one could get to.

That one year Tepper picked against Carthage I was able to go talk to Tepper the next day at the set and we had a fun chat. Tepp said he’d never pick against Surratt in a state championship game ever again, ha!

That was the year the set was above the west end zone kind of in the northwest corner where the stands begin to turn. 

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin

30 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

From my perspective, we could play in NRG or the Alamo Dome, AT&T or McLane Stadium on BU’s campus, I don’t care, because our team and HC doesn’t care.  

The Refugio coach embarrassed himself.

Understood, it is also worthy of note that the majority of small schools (like Carthage and who Carthage meets in the playoffs, also 3A/2A) are not located in urban areas. 5A and 6A schools are typically found at a greater frequency in areas such as Houston or Dallas where the Championship games are played and a corresponding "homefield" could be found. 

Edited by 89Falcon

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

DCTF Team does well in bringing the championship week to the masses.  I just wish y’all hadn’t have hidden them away this year in that section no one could get to.

That one year Tepper picked against Carthage I was able to go talk to Tepper the next day at the set and we had a fun chat. Tepp said he’d never pick against Surratt in a state championship game ever again, ha!

That was the year the set was above the west end zone kind of in the northwest corner where the stands begin to turn. 

I'm not sure why they moved it to a more secluded and secure area I know a couple of years ago there was a bit of security issue on set with some oversealous fans but not sure it was that or Covid that caused them to move the set to the location they have it at now

40 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood, it is also worthy of note that the majority of small schools (like Carthage and who Carthage meets in the playoffs, also 3A/2A) are not located in urban areas. 5A and 6A schools are typically found at a greater frequency in areas such as Houston or Dallas where the Championship games are played and a corresponding "homefield" could be found. 

You’re definitely correct in that statement.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I'm not sure why they moved it to a more secluded and secure area I know a couple of years ago there was a bit of security issue on set with some oversealous fans but not sure it was that or Covid that caused them to move the set to the location they have it at now

Ah, well, I wasn’t overzealous, I promise, haha!

I was able to speak to Tepper and RR (and he is a nice man).  I do understand the desire for a secure location and I’d hope high school football fans in attendance would act appropriately and treat the Bally folks well, but I guess there’s always an idiot wherever you go. 

56 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ah, well, I wasn’t overzealous, I promise, haha!

I was able to speak to Tepper and RR (and he is a nice man).  I do understand the desire for a secure location and I’d hope high school football fans in attendance would act appropriately and treat the Bally folks well, but I guess there’s always an idiot wherever you go. 

Yep. Half the people in the world are stupid. The other half are questionable at best!