AT&T State Championships

Ronster23

8 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

No one said anything about NS or that it was "the" single factor in any particular game this year. However, It is a completely settled sports fact that teams do better playing at home than on the road. 

How did Houston area teams do the last time it was at NRG? 

I think a large part of the reason for it only being held at NRG one time was the fact that NRG didn’t put on nearly as good of a “show” as AT&T. I remember reading on this forum posts from fans who were in attendance that NRG grossly disappointed in the welcome factor. I also seem to remember that the city of Houston didn’t really roll out the red carpet the way Arlington did in the first years it was held there. I don’t know that any of this was a factor in the UIL’s decision making, but it would be for me. 

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I think a large part of the reason for it only being held at NRG one time was the fact that NRG didn’t put on nearly as good of a “show” as AT&T. I remember reading on this forum posts from fans who were in attendance that NRG grossly disappointed in the welcome factor. I also seem to remember that the city of Houston didn’t really roll out the red carpet the way Arlington did in the first years it was held there. I don’t know that any of this was a factor in the UIL’s decision making, but it would be for me. 

AT&T was not available that year and NRG fleeced the UIL because they knew the UIL had little choice when it came to stadium selection. The Alamodome was also unavailable that weekend. Instead of welcoming the game they treated it like a one time business opportunity. They gained in the short term but left a bad taste for future business. 

4 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

AT&T was not available that year and NRG fleeced the UIL because they knew the UIL had little choice when it came to stadium selection. The Alamodome was also unavailable that weekend. Instead of welcoming the game they treated it like a one time business opportunity. They gained in the short term but left a bad taste for future business. 

That’s true. I remember the NFL scheduling a Saturday home game for the Cowboys, which forced the championship games to Houston 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

If I remember correctly, there were 4 champions from the Houston area and only Brock from DFW (if you consider brock DFW). 

Oh Lordy, it really doesn’t matter where the game is played.

If your team is worth its salt it should be able to show up and play without making excuses.

If you have a real chance to make it to state you’re staff should be planning before the season even begins.

Quit with the whining.  I just know for us, our team will arrive to play whenever, wherever and expect to win. 

Bunch of wimps griping about having to play in the best stadium in Texas and one of the best stadiums in the world.

Most teams and coaches would do anything they can within the law to be able to play in a state championship game no matter where it was being held.

Get over it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oh Lordy, it really doesn’t matter where the game is played.

If your team is worth its salt it should be able to show up and play without making excuses.

If you have a real chance to make it to state you’re staff should be planning before the season even begins.

Quit with the whining.  I just know for us, our team will arrive to play whenever, wherever and expect to win. 

Bunch of wimps griping about having to play in the best stadium in Texas and one of the best stadiums in the world.

Most teams and coaches would do anything they can within the law to be able to play in a state championship game no matter where it was being held.

Get over it.

Agreed 100%. Games should be played at NRG from this point forward. Location should not matter. 

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

If they could put on as good a product as Jerry World does that’s fine with me.

NRG isn’t as nice as AT&T though.

"Most teams and coaches would do anything they can within the law to be able to play in a state championship game no matter where it was being held".

Does not matter if AT&T is slightly "nicer" than the other billion dollar NFL stadium. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

"Most teams and coaches would do anything they can within the law to be able to play in a state championship game no matter where it was being held".

Does not matter if AT&T is slightly "nicer" than the other billion dollar NFL stadium. 

Totally with you, anywhere, anytime, we down.

So, I just watched the Refugio press conference after Hawley thumped that rump.

One thing R coach said was Hawley was able to sleep in their own bed and drive in and play.

That’s completely inaccurate, because Hawley stayed the night before in the Holiday Inn.

Next, R coach said Refugio is 7 hours away from AT&T, and it is 5 hours and 15 minutes away. 
Also, he didn’t just reference the change of practice schedule once, but harped on it throughout.  

I’d seen the beginning of that PC when it first happened, but quit watching.  This time I watched nearly all the way through and it was worse than I’d originally known.

😬😬🍷

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

It's more fair than Houston would be for teams in west Texas. And I'm sure teams like Canadian would enjoy their 10 hour drive.

Yep, equity for "Canadien" definitely exceeds the need for equity for the 6 million in the Houston area. 

59 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, equity for "Canadien" definitely exceeds the need for equity for the 6 million in the Houston area. 

HTown is the armpit of Texas and a S hole........Anyone who thinks different is either from there or lives there currently other than that Texas as a whole dislikes Houston an doesnt wanna spend anytime in that S hole.

Houston will never ever ever get the state title games again and everyone is happy but Htown ppl.

I'd rather play at Alamodome or Waco than Htown.

Get over it people it aint never ever ever evr gonna leave Cowboys stadium again unless NFL has Dallas playing on Saturday again.

If we start going down that road, we could wait until the semifinals and see who all is still standing, and decide which region of Texas will have the most teams playing in the championship games; whichever region has the most gets to host the event that year.

HAHAHAHA

Talk about a disaster that’d end up being..

This being fair thing or catering to anyone is silly.

AT&T Stadium is by far and away the best venue and location to host the UIL football state championships.

It doesn’t matter that DFW Metroplex schools have a home game for their title game, because life isn’t fair and we don’t always get what we want.

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin

I know we're talking about football, but I remember a few years back that top ranked Silsbee Tigers traveled up to Center for a early regular season basketball game and lost to Center in a very competitive game. And the first excuse Silsbee fans used was that they had to travel so far. smh

I'm a casual fan and I don't really mind them rotating the games. NRG got the chance and the blew it by holding the UIL hostage and fleecing them on the rental fees. You don't do that if you want the event to return. I would love for it to be at the Alamodome because I like visiting San Antonio. McClane Stadium in Waco would be the most neutral location but it is not covered. 50k fans are going to show up if it is cold and or raining. I think the San Antonio deserves it's chance to host the game. Jerry is starting to raise prices for parking and concessions because he does not have any competition. It will cost a family or four nearly $250 watch the game at AT&T. He is causing the casual fan to stay away due to the cost. $9 for a coke is beyond ridiculous. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

I'm a casual fan and I don't really mind them rotating the games. NRG got the chance and the blew it by holding the UIL hostage and fleecing them on the rental fees. You don't do that if you want the event to return. I would love for it to be at the Alamodome because I like visiting San Antonio. McClane Stadium in Waco would be the most neutral location but it is not covered. 50k fans are going to show up if it is cold and or raining. I think the San Antonio deserves it's chance to host the game. Jerry is starting to raise prices for parking and concessions because he does not have any competition. It will cost a family or four nearly $250 watch the game at AT&T. He is causing the casual fan to stay away due to the cost. $9 for a coke is beyond ridiculous. 

The cost thing, I don’t care about, especially if I’m only attending the Carthage game and leaving.

It happens once a year, if money is tight, but if you think your team will be there, plan for it just like the coaches.  Begin putting just a little bit of money back every week/month in preparation for spending a few hundred to take your family to watch your school play for a title.

It’s something people need to soak up when they get the opportunity.

The cost is never something that’ll going to keep me away.