🏆Finals: South Oak Cliff 34, PNG 24 🏆

RETIREDFAN1

Final   

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

SOC can't pay what the suburban schools can pay. Their last coach moved on to Texas Tech. I guessing they have some great assistants in place but don't be surprised at all if other schools don't poach their coaching staff. Remember coach Samples loses coaches every year.

That was an opportunity Jones couldn’t give up but honestly Jones and Todd are two different guys. Todd is as Dallas as they come, his grandfather or dad was a longtime principal for SOC back in the day. Several of the coaches on staff are real Dallas guys born and breed in the South. They’ll stick around for sure, last year after winning state DISD gave all head coaches in the district a raise. I think the district understands how important this SOC program is and they do a lot to keep Todd and his staff. 

PNG had a good game plan. I think they got away early from what was working  and got in a fight to score with soc and thats hard to do. They had to many errors and with 2 safties its hard to beat a team like soc.

37 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

What do you mean ??? He didn’t do the usual coach speak ??? 

I thought it was a little over the top.  Lots of bulletin board material for the next year or two.

IMHO....

Winning state is hard.  Winning it twice is REALLY HARD.  Particularly in the bigger classifications.

But what's hardest..... winning annually and staying there long-term.

Ask Converse Judson, Odessa Permian, Plano, Aldine Eisenhower, Midland Lee, Lufkin, Waco...list seems to go on and on.

Austin Westlake, Katy, Lake Travis, SLC are more anomalies compared to the list of former powerhouses.

And it's foolish to think the same thing couldn't happen to Katy, LT, SLC....that we've seen happen to Permian, Plano, Lee, etc......

SOC isn't immune to it either.  Coaches move around to better opportunities, players move around to better opportunities, luck runs out, work ethics change, realignment makes the path more difficult.....

So many things work against you doing it again...and again.

Seems like he would have rather concentrated on his amazing 2022 squad that just did something spectacular instead of boasting about things to come in 2023 and 2024. 

Live in the now.  You never know when the shoe may drop.  No program is immune to it.  Not one.

JMHO

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I thought it was a little over the top.  Lots of bulletin board material for the next year or two.

IMHO....

Winning state is hard.  Winning it twice is REALLY HARD.  Particularly in the bigger classifications.

But what's hardest..... winning annually and staying there long-term.

Ask Converse Judson, Odessa Permian, Plano, Aldine Eisenhower, Midland Lee, Lufkin, Waco...list seems to go on and on.

Austin Westlake, Katy, Lake Travis, SLC are more anomalies compared to the list of former powerhouses.

And it's foolish to think the same thing couldn't happen to Katy, LT, SLC....that we've seen happen to Permian, Plano, Lee, etc......

SOC isn't immune to it either.  Coaches move around to better opportunities, players move around to better opportunities, luck runs out, work ethics change, realignment makes the path more difficult.....

So many things work against you doing it again...and again.

Seems like he would have rather concentrated on his amazing 2022 squad that just did something spectacular instead of boasting about things to come in 2023 and 2024. 

Live in the now.  You never know when the shoe may drop.  No program is immune to it.  Not one.

JMHO

Did you miss the part where he said he told the kids last year was for the community and everyone else. But this year was about them and it was time for them to go out there and do this for themselves. Then he proceeded to say that his class of 2022 was the best class to ever come through DISD and he repeated the statement in emphatic passion and he said that it could only be topped by his 2023/2024 class. This is were its a difference of culture in how a coach relays his message to his players and his community. I know several folks that loved what Coach Todd had to say at the end, even him saying to call him “Coach Todd 2 Tymes” from now on. That’s a cultural reference that I’m sure went over your head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Did you miss the part where he said he told the kids last year was for the community and everyone else. But this year was about them and it was time for them to go out there and do this for themselves. Then he proceeded to say that his class of 2022 was the best class to ever come through DISD and he repeated the statement in emphatic passion and he said that it could only be topped by his 2023/2024 class. This is were its a difference of culture in how a coach relays his message to his players and his community. I know several folks that loved what Coach Todd had to say at the end, even him saying to call him “Coach Todd 2 Tymes” from now on. That’s a cultural reference that I’m sure went over your head.

I didn't miss any of it.  I just didn't agree with all of it...... that doesn't mean it went over my head....

37 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

Absolutely. 😎

SOC culture is not your normal culture "or is it? . What maybe normal to some may be different to others.  We are all accustomed to a certain way whether we like it or not. I commend SOC for doing it their way, not changing who they are. Much respect to those young men, coaching staff and community. Crazy thing is listen to last years post game interview (Same message)

Edited by pigskinbobby
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, collincountyfootball1 said:

He focused in the now and pointed at trying to continue long success. Like i said it’s a cultural thing. Im sure you were just looking for regular bland coach talk…

Did he?

He claimed it was the greatest senior class to ever come through DISD. 

He may very well be correct. I'm not a historian of DISD football by any stretch.  

But everything I've ever heard/read about DISD football greatness is the 1988 Dallas Carter team....often times called one the greatest teams in ALL of TXHSFB.  All the off field shenanigans aside with grades, cheating, UIL, judges.  We all know they cheated....BUT...it doesn't change the fact that was a generational senior class lead by Coach Freddy.

I'm not saying 2022 SOC isn't better.....but I have no doubt some would balk at that statement. 

Carter was blowing out teams left and right....won 16 games in the largest classification.  SOC has 3 losses and won it all in the fourth largest division.

---------

Lined them up as one the best defenses in the nation with the best defensive staff in the nation.  Which....again....may be true.  But is that even quantifiable?  

Gave up 42 points to DeSoto (who got blown out in an out of state game).  Their shutout games were against TERRIBLE DISD teams.  Lovejoy got 37 on them.  

Great defense?  ABSOLUTELY!!!  Best in Texas?  Show me the statistics of the best defensive teams in Texas.  Best in the nation?  That's harder to digest.

----------

And I agree....SOC is a totally different culture.  And if they can continue it.... their winning ways will continue. 

All I was saying was that..... SAYING it and DOING it are two different things.  Lots of schools use to be perennial winners that aren't anymore.  

And as someone else pointed out..... staff turnover is all but inevitable in TXHSFB.  Esp for schools NOT in the highest classification.  Who on the SOC staff would say no if Euless Trinity, or Plano called for a HFC position?  Esp with $$$.  

----------

I won't be shocked if SOC wins it again in 2023.  But also won't be shocked if they don't.  

That's not a slam against them..... it's just respect for all the great competition TXHSFB has to offer every year.  

Makes it hard.

32 minutes ago, 3rdcoastent said:

It crazy how soc came out of nowhere I remember Longview blowing them out few times they went from bad to winning state I wonder what changed I’m hoping jt can do a turn around like this congrats to soc 

I wouldn't say bad prior to when they started winning state........

2007: (9-4)- Region Semis
2009: (9-3) Area
2010: (10-2) Area
2011: (10-1) Area
2012: (9-2) Area
2013: (11-2) Region Semis
2014: (10-4) Quarterfinals 
2015: (8-4) Area
2016: (9-4) Area
2017: (9-3) Area
2018: (11-1) Area
2019: (9-3) Area
2020: (9-3) Area
2021: (15-1) State Champs
2022: (13-3) State Champs

They had been averaging 9.4 wins per season from 2007-2020.

That's pretty dang good by most accounts.

It would be interesting to see which teams all those 2nd round teams were to.  Powerhouses?  

IMHO......it looks like they've pretty good for a while.  They just figured out how to "take the next step".

• Like 1

• RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to 🏆Finals: South Oak Cliff 34, PNG 24 🏆

Mann.. 

What a game, glad I made the trip

Only thing that could've made this trip better was watching the rocking L compete for a SC this morning..

PNG came in with a great game plan on shutting down the run for SOC and it worked early and often, eventually the pass game for SOC kept PNG honest and on their toes... the rest is history congrats again to Todd, his boys and the community... well deserved

Nonetheless, last day of HS football SMH going to be a boring off-season 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Did he?

He claimed it was the greatest senior class to ever come through DISD. 

He may very well be correct. I'm not a historian of DISD football by any stretch.  

But everything I've ever heard/read about DISD football greatness is the 1988 Dallas Carter team....often times called one the greatest teams in ALL of TXHSFB.  All the off field shenanigans aside with grades, cheating, UIL, judges.  We all know they cheated....BUT...it doesn't change the fact that was a generational senior class lead by Coach Freddy.

I'm not saying 202

2 SOC isn't better.....but I have no doubt some would balk at that statement. 

Carter was blowing out teams left and right....won 16 games in the largest classification.  SOC has 3 losses and won it all in the fourth largest division.

---------

Lined them up as one the best defenses in the nation with the best defensive staff in the nation.  Which....again....may be true.  But is that even quantifiable?  

Gave up 42 points to DeSoto (who got blown out in an out of state game).  Their shutout games were against TERRIBLE DISD teams.  Lovejoy got 37 on them.  

Great defense?  ABSOLUTELY!!!  Best in Texas?  Show me the statistics of the best defensive teams in Texas.  Best in the nation?  That's harder to digest.

----------

And I agree....SOC is a totally different culture.  And if they can continue it.... their winning ways will continue. 

All I was saying was that..... SAYING it and DOING it are two different things.  Lots of schools use to be perennial winners that aren't anymore.  

And as someone else pointed out..... staff turnover is all but inevitable in TXHSFB.  Esp for schools NOT in the highest classification.  Who on the SOC staff would say no if Euless Trinity, or Plano called for a HFC position?  Esp with $$$.  

----------

I won't be shocked if SOC wins it again in 2023.  But also won't be shocked if they don't.  

That's not a slam against them..... it's just respect for all the great competition TXHSFB has to offer every year.  

Makes it hard.

come on Mav...all coaches say they have the best kids, especially after they win state.

Besides...was he lying about SOC having the best DISD team of all time. Last I check, Carter won ONE state title. SOC senior class won TWO. Going 15-1 last yr. 

And you can't compare Carter winning the highest class then, because the highest class at that time had schools with 1500 kids.  You didn't have the amount of mega schools then like you do now. And just because you are in a smaller class doesn't mean your school is weaker. I would pick Carthage to win both 4a divisions and 5a div.2 most yrs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfwfootballfan said:

That 88 Carter team WAS the best football talent ever on a single team. No question.

Carter is all-time no doubt.  But they won ONE title.  SOC won TWO. 

and go look at SOC 247 recruits. They have 15 div.1 recruits.  FIFTEEN!!!!!! If you include the juniors and sophs, its easily over 20 kids.

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/Recruits/?&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=20874

Edited by JTFAN99
  • Like 2