šŸ†Duncanville 28 Galena Park Northshore 21 FinalšŸ†

RETIREDFAN1

3 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

That #3 is most impressive to me. Single game. Not part of a triple header.Ā 

Yes, thatā€™s my take, too. Hate to be technical, and with all due respect to @MattSteppĀ and his list, you canā€™t compare a multiple game scenario like we have now to a single game matchup. With games before and after, thereā€™s so many fans who stay there or wouldnā€™t even be there had it not been for their team theyā€™re cheering for. It isnā€™t apples to apples.Ā 

10 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Glad Duncanville beat North Shore.

I donā€™t think Samples is a great coach, but glad he finally won state.Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I hear you, but the talent level at Duncanville and only one state championship. Ā Thatā€™s not good no matter how you slice it or try to make dumb excuses like demographics he has to deal with. Ā Bull.Ā 

Same thing for SOC, Tepper tweeted that a few months ago it was out of the question that an inner city team could win back to back state championships in 5A.

I think thatā€™s completely stupid. Ā Inner city usually means fantastic athletes throughout the team. Ā It takes one man, one coach to change it all and channel all that talent and boom, overnight you have a powerhouse.

Iā€™d love for people to quit making excuses for coaches who lead inner city teams saying they donā€™t have the resources other coaches do. Ā I think itā€™s just a bunch of bunk and SOC is proving that. Ā 

Ā 

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Hail mary by NS was just luck and Duncanville should have two titles under Samples.

You put Todd Dodge as HC at Duncanville and those suckers have 12 state championships.

All that, Dodge wouldnā€™t have the same success Samples has, because he wouldnā€™t know how to deal with the social issues Samples has navigated I think is a load of garbage.

Dodge would have a superior offensive philosophy established and always have a quarterback groomed to take over the reigns.

Samples has always just relied on the talent and out athleted other teams. Ā Dodge or Buchanan or others would have utilized the talent heā€™s had over the years much more efficiently and effectively.

Are you serious?Ā  Ā He lost to Northshore .Ā  NORTHSHORE!!!!!! The ONLY team in the state who can literally match them athlete to athlete and with coaching. Besides losing to a hail mary, they also lost one year because their starting 4-star qb missed the game with a torn acl he suffured the week before in the state semifinals.Ā 

Also...go check out Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skylines records since Samples left.Ā  Very clear he was the reasons the programs were winning.Ā Ā 

Last thing, who determine that state championships are the only metric that make you a great coach. In my opinion, a coach that can get to the state championship game 5 to 6 times is a great coach.Ā 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Are you serious?Ā  Ā He lost to Northshore .Ā  NORTHSHORE!!!!!! The ONLY team in the state who can literally match them athlete to athlete and with coaching. Besides losing to a hail mary, they also lost one year because their starting 4-star qb missed the game with a torn acl he suffured the week before in the state semifinals.Ā 

Also...go check out Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skylines records since Samples left.Ā  Very clear he was the reasons the programs were winning.Ā Ā 

Last thing, who determine that state championships are the only metric that make you a great coach. In my opinion, a coach that can get to the state championship game 5 to 6 times is a great coach.Ā 

Itā€™s my opinion a HC with an aggressive philosophy coupled with that traditional strong run game of Duncanville and their athletes - Dodge would definitely have more titles at Duncanville.

I donā€™t understand whatā€™s so outlandish about that or why people get so upset about it.

25 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Itā€™s my opinion a HC with an aggressive philosophy coupled with that traditional strong run game of Duncanville and their athletes - Dodge would definitely have more titles at Duncanville.

I donā€™t understand whatā€™s so outlandish about that or why people get so upset about it.

Just because you think Dodge would hypothetically have won more state titles than Samples at Duncanville, doesn't mean you have to diminish Samples as a Coach.Ā Ā 

What was Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline records before and after Samples?Ā  Even Duncanville, what was their record before Samples?

Last I check, SLC has remained very good since Dodge left. Even winning a state title.Ā  Westlake almost made it to state this yr.Show me where Todd Dodge has elevated a losing program, because his records wasn't that great at Newman Smith, Fossil Ridge, or Marble Falls. Todd Dodge has never elevated any programs in the way Samples. has.Ā 

I'm not here to say one is better. I think both are elite.Ā  But I don't see how you diminish what Coach Samples has done, because he has done much more with very little.Ā Ā 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

To get to the SC in the highest classification in itself is damn good...Ā 

Samples is a damn good coach, glad he finally got him one

+1000

I don't have a problem if someone says another coach is better, but to say Samples isn't a good coach is absurd.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Just because you think Dodge would hypothetically have won more state titles than Samples at Duncanville, doesn't mean you have to diminish Samples as a Coach.Ā Ā 

What was Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Skyline records before and after Samples?Ā  Even Duncanville, what was their record before Samples?

Last I check, SLC has remained very good since Dodge left. Even winning a state title.Ā  Westlake almost made it to state this yr.Show me where Todd Dodge has elevated a losing program, because his records wasn't that great at Newman Smith, Fossil Ridge, or Marble Falls. Todd Dodge has never elevated any programs in the way Samples. has.Ā 

I'm not here to say one is better. I think both are elite.Ā  But I don't see how you diminish what Coach Samples has done, because he has done much more with very little.Ā Ā 

I didnā€™t say Samples is a bad coach.Ā 

Ā 

4 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

+1000

I don't have a problem if someone says another coach is better, but to say Samples isn't a good coach is absurd.

HearEmaGrowlin hasĀ  S Surratt expectations I guess.. big boy 6a ball on a different playing field then 4a down

Edited by BoyzNdaHood

Just realize that there are a lot more ā€œextracurricular activitiesā€ for kids to ā€œget intoā€ Ā in the inner city than just football. The fact that back to back championships had never been won by a DISD team says something might be a bit more challenging in the city than it is else where.Ā 

• Like 1

Each coaching spot has a different set of issues a coach has to deal with. Part of being in a great coach is being in a situation that his good for your methods. Coach Dodge was not the goat at when he coached at Marble falls. Westlake and SLC are programs in his wheelhouse and he was exceptional at those stops. There is a huge difference between coaching at a one school ISD and multi-school ISD.Ā  Coaching is alot more than just X's and O's. There is a reason why Saban and Meyer failed at the NFL level. They are still HOF worthy coaches but the NFL was not a good fit for either of them. You need to be in a good situation in order to flourish. One size certainly does not fit all.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LionHated said:

The ignorance in the backwudz of ETX never ceases to amaze. I wonder has he ever even been anywhere near the Oak Cliff area. Justā€¦.nevermind. Iā€™ve probably already said too much. Geez.Ā 

I lived in DFW for seventeen years.

I know a whole lot more than just Panola County.

All of this ā€œyou canā€™t win because inner cityā€ is a load of Ā junk. Ā SOC has just proven it and here yā€™all are still saying it canā€™t be done. Ā 
Yā€™all having low expectations doesnā€™t mean I am wrong for having higher expectations.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

Each coaching spot has a different set of issues a coach has to deal with. Part of being in a great coach is being in a situation that his good for your methods. Coach Dodge was not the goat at when he coached at Marble falls. Westlake and SLC are programs in his wheelhouse and he was exceptional at those stops. There is a huge difference between coaching at a one school ISD and multi-school ISD.Ā  Coaching is alot more than just X's and O's. There is a reason why Saban and Meyer failed at the NFL level. They are still HOF worthy coaches but the NFL was not a good fit for either of them. You need to be in a good situation in order to flourish. One size certainly does not fit all.

I do agree with this, but like we discussed yesterday maybe Dodge does win a ton at Duncanville, maybe he doesnā€™t.Ā 

11 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Ā 

Ā 

You do realize youā€™ve made my point for me. Ā 

Thereā€™s truly only one team in the state who can match Duncanville athlete for athlete, still only one state championship. Ā 

The best coaches and programs are most definitely determined by championships won in every sport. Ā Why do you think they reference it and present it multiple times every year while broadcasting from AT&T? Ā 

Think about it and quit being so emotional.

11 hours ago, BoyzNdaHood said:

Ā 

HearEmaGrowlin hasĀ  S Surratt expectations I guess.. big boy 6a ball on a different playing field then 4a down

What about 5a ball. Ā Is that no manā€™s land? Ā You left it out. Ā Carthage beats 5a teams with regularity. Ā 

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You do realize youā€™ve made my point for me. Ā 

Thereā€™s truly only one team in the state who can match Duncanville athlete for athlete, still only one state championship. Ā 

The best coaches and programs are most definitely determined by championships won in every sport. Ā Why do you think they reference it and present it multiple times every year while broadcasting from AT&T? Ā 

Think about it and quit being so emotional.

Dude, that ONE team is the team he is playing every yr for state.Ā 

And yes, the best coaches and programs are judge by championships.Ā  Obviously Northshore is a better program because of the rings.Ā  However, just because a coach doesn't have a ring or multiple rings, doesn't mean he isn't a great coach.Ā 

by the way, this is just a gentlemans discussion. You and this debate don't really matter enough for me to get emotional about. Sorry!

Ā 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Dude, that ONE team is the team he is playing every yr for state.Ā 

And yes, the best coaches and programs are judge by championships.Ā  Obviously Northshore is a better program because of the rings.Ā  However, just because a coach doesn't have a ring or multiple rings, doesn't mean he isn't a great coach.Ā 

by the way, this is just a gentlemans discussion. You and this debate don't really matter enough for me to get emotional about. Sorry!

Ā 

Ok, I mustā€™ve misinterpreted your level of passion over this discussion. Ā However, surely you agree you did come at me with some care about the topic, what with the backwudz ignorance reference and such.

For the record, I am glad Duncanville and Samples won state.Ā 

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Question...How many titles does Samples win if he is at Westlake or SLC?

Probably not very many, if any. Ā 

He doesnā€™t have an offense good enough to compete at those schools as he has always and probably always will just rely on the plethora of great athletes he has on both sides of the ball.

Samples just runs what people like to call, ā€œbig boyā€ high school offense, which is just code for extremely vanilla and let your athletes make plays.

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

What about 5a ball. Ā Is that no manā€™s land? Ā You left it out. Ā Carthage beats 5a teams with regularity. Ā 

Carthage beats most 5a squads... they won't beat Longview SOC aledo etc... hell I'll put franklin, gunter, Gilmer PG and others up against 5a schools and have good chancesĀ 

Point being 6a ball is different, pretty much college level players throughout the roster

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ok, I mustā€™ve misinterpreted your level of passion over this discussion. Ā However, surely you agree you did come at me with some care about the topic, what with the backwudz ignorance reference and such.

For the record, I am glad Duncanville and Samples won state.Ā 

I didn't make the backwudz comment.

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I didn't make the backwudz comment.

Lol I made a comment like that years ago because people SWARMED when I dared to say the 83 Daingerfield Tigers were one of the most dominant teams pound-for-pound but wouldn't win heads up against some of the best 5A teams in history. Fun times.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

59 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Probably not very many, if any. Ā 

He doesnā€™t have an offense good enough to compete at those schools as he has always and probably always will just rely on the plethora of great athletes he has on both sides of the ball.

Samples just runs what people like to call, ā€œbig boyā€ high school offense, which is just code for extremely vanilla and let your athletes make plays.

hmmm