Most unexpected win/Heartbreaking loss for your team in 2022

Mavchamp

This has been a pretty interesting question over on the Maverick message board.  Has brought about some interesting answers.  Thought I'd bring it here........

Most unexpected win in 2022?

Most heartbreaking loss in 2022?

The most unexpected win for Carthage, in my opinion, was the close call against Glen Rose.

I thought we’d beat them rather easily, and boy was I wrong.

Now, it very well could’ve gone that way had one of our receivers who’ll be returning next season hadn’t have made a poor decision on that play.

We were about to be up 35-14 in the 3rd quarter and scoring the first two touchdowns of the second half.

I really think had the TD stood the game was over then and there.  You have to tip your cap to Glen Rose for hanging in there and then being the only team all season to have a lead against Carthage.

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

This has been a pretty interesting question over on the Maverick message board.  Has brought about some interesting answers.  Thought I'd bring it here........

Most unexpected win in 2022?

Most heartbreaking loss in 2022?

The whitehouse game for sure as it turned out to be a fluke cause we didn’t win another game.

On 12/21/2022 at 5:53 PM, blueflu said:

Has to be Canadian to Gunter.  Canadian would have won state easily.

I can confirm. We had too many penalties, and missed opportunities. Could have sealed the game on GT final drive but our own player tipped an easy interception away from our own player. Before the final 1.5 minutes, I believe we held GT to 25 yards passing (like 2-9), and at 125 rushing. Canadian had 150 yards more offense, but too many drive stopping penalties. At least 3 false starts on 3rd and short.

I think a game with Poth would have been just as ugly as the GT/Poth game. 

Hopefully the kids lace them up against each other next year!

Unexpected win had to be vs Lufkin. Not that I didn't think Longview would win but the absolute domination shocked everyone. 

Loss to Aledo. Much respect to their great program but I honestly believed Longview had the better team this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Doomy you knew that whoopin’ was coming at SFA. The Rams were ready. Bearcats was not. Tru storie 

Bearcats was ready and played hard. Rams had a good game and caught a couple breaks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gtee2 said:

Unexpected win had to be vs Lufkin. Not that I didn't think Longview would win but the absolute domination shocked everyone. 

Loss to Aledo. Much respect to their great program but I honestly believed Longview had the better team this year. 

Bingo. Still believe we did but what can ya do.

• Like 1

Unexpected win:

This is a tough call.  Going into the season..... I don't think ANYONE was giving Marshall much of a chance to beat Tyler.  The Lions were loaded...and had one of the top ATL's on their team.  The Mavs were entering with a playoff team....but with new coach and new systems.  There were lots of blowout predictions.  

Game turned out to be a total blowout in the Mav's favor.  By the end of the season the win was diminished because Tyler turned out not to be very good.

That brings in Whitehouse in the regular season finale.  They were (8-1) and had just beaten the defending district champion Texas High Tigers the week before.  Marshall completely dominated the Wildcats... dropping them from first place to third in the district standings and the Mavs claimed the #2 slot.

Heartbreaking loss:

Also a tough call.  

The 35-34 playoff loss to Crandall (8-2)  was a tough one to accept.  Mainly because we were SO CLOSE.  Marshall's season ended on the Pirate 1 yard-line.  One yard short of the go-ahead score as time ticked away.  However.... battling back from a 14 point deficit was thrilling.  It was a great game....few people thought we'd compete.  And we almost got the W.

The Hallsville game was another tough one.  Back and fourth all night.  Mavs take a lead with just under 2 mins left in the game.  Hallsville scored the go-ahead score with 32 seconds left in the game.  That was a bitter one.

Two really tough losses that easily could have been wins.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Unexpected win:

This is a tough call.  Going into the season..... I don't think ANYONE was giving Marshall much of a chance to beat Tyler.  The Lions were loaded...and had one of the top ATL's on their team.  The Mavs were entering with a playoff team....but with new coach and new systems.  There were lots of blowout predictions.  

Game turned out to be a total blowout in the Mav's favor.  By the end of the season the win was diminished because Tyler turned out not to be very good.

That brings in Whitehouse in the regular season finale.  They were (8-1) and had just beaten the defending district champion Texas High Tigers the week before.  Marshall completely dominated the Wildcats... dropping them from first place to third in the district standings and the Mavs claimed the #2 slot.

Heartbreaking loss:

Also a tough call.  

The 35-34 playoff loss to Crandall (8-2)  was a tough one to accept.  Mainly because we were SO CLOSE.  Marshall's season ended on the Pirate 1 yard-line.  One yard short of the go-ahead score as time ticked away.  However.... battling back from a 14 point deficit was thrilling.  It was a great game....few people thought we'd compete.  And we almost got the W.

The Hallsville game was another tough one.  Back and fourth all night.  Mavs take a lead with just under 2 mins left in the game.  Hallsville scored the go-ahead score with 32 seconds left in the game.  That was a bitter one.

Two really tough losses that easily could have been wins.

The Crandall loss baffled us all. We expected Marshall and t high to advance 

Unexpected win for Lufkin was on the road against A&M Consolidated. 

I guess heartbreaking loss would be down in McKinney against North when we let a 17 point 4th qtr lead slip away to knock us out of playoff contention. 

(Honorable mention for unexpected performance would be against Lancaster) had’em on the ropes all night long. 

20 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

The Crandall loss baffled us all. We expected Marshall and t high to advance 

Did it?

Crandall was (8-2) and had competed well against the top seeds in their district.  Marshall was (6-4)..... even though Marshall was the higher seed..... it always felt like Crandall was the favorite.

Most people had Crandall picked to win comfortably.  I thought the fact that the game was as close as it was shocked most.

That was MY perception at least. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Did it?

Crandall was (8-2) and had competed well against the top seeds in their district.  Marshall was (6-4)..... even though Marshall was the higher seed..... it always felt like Crandall was the favorite.

Most people had Crandall picked to win comfortably.  I thought the fact that the game was as close as it was shocked most.

Yeah but with the game being in Marshall and the weather being the way it was it was perfect for y’all’s offense and the first series y’all drove it down and scored quickly. I thought y’all were going to win by at least two scores. I underestimated Crandall.

17 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Did it?

Game that surprised me was Carthage. I thought that would be somewhat competitive. District wasn’t too surprising but I expected more than 6-5 season.