Carthage Rankings

HearEmaGrowlin

What do y’all think about this and both are debatable, because the differences are so minimal, especially at the top of both lists….

Team Ranking:

1) 2017
2) 2020
3) 2013
4) 2008
5) 2022
6) 2010
7) 2019
8. 1991
9) 2009
10) 2016
11) 1983
12) 1992

QB Ranking:

1) Anthony Morgan
2) Blake Bogenschutz
3) Connor Cuff
4) Kai Horton
5) Si Blackshire
6) Joey Blissett 
7) Kayson Davis

8. Gunner Capps

Edited by HearEmaGrowlin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

What do y’all think about this and both are debatable, because the differences are so minimal, especially at the top of both lists….

Team Ranking:

1) 2017
2) 2020
3) 2013
4) 2008
5) 2022
6) 2010
7) 2019
8. 1991
9) 2009
10) 2016
11) 1983
12) 1992

QB Ranking:

1) Anthony Morgan
2) Blake Bogenschutz
3) Connor Cuff
4) Kai Horton
5) Joey Blissett
6) Kayson Davis
7) Gunner Capps

I’m gonna figure out my rankings and reply with them when I can, but there is a few things I gotta come at you with right away… lol

1) What all are you looking at when deciding the placement of the teams and QBs? Because if looking at things statistically (I don’t have a list or numbers in front of me, just going off memory) it would seem like they are not quite in order. 

2) No Si’Darius Blackshire on the list? To me he has to be on there. And he wouldn’t be at the bottom either. 

Edited by mikehoncho

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

I’m gonna figure out my rankings and reply with them when I can, but there is a few things I gotta come at you with right away… lol

1) What all are you looking at when deciding the placement of the teams and QBs? Because if looking at things statistically (I don’t have a list or numbers in front of me, just going off memory) it would seem like they are not quite in order. 

2) No Si’Darius Blackshire on the list? To me he has to be on there. And he wouldn’t be at the bottom either. 

HUGE error on my part.  I totally left Si off there like a complete moron!

I wasn’t worried so much about their statistics.  I was basing it off of if my life depended on winning who would I want quarterbacking my team.

Updating the original post to include Si!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Team Ranking:

1) 2017
2) 2020
3) 2013
4) 2008
5) 2022
6) 2010
7) 2019
8. 1991
9) 2009
10) 2016
11) 1983
12) 1992

QB Ranking:

1) Anthony Morgan
2) Blake Bogenschutz
3) Connor Cuff
4) Kai Horton
5) Si Blackshire
6) Joey Blissett 
7) Kayson Davis

8. Gunner Capps

2022 1st  Kai Horton

2020 2nd Blake Bogenschutz

2017 3rd Conner Cuff and Anthony Morgan andSi Blackshire

2008 4th Kayson Davis and Joey Blissett

• Like 1

Statistically speaking 2022 is Carthage best football team. According to smoaky.com. They scored the most points offensively and gave up the least amount of points defensively. Now I don't watch Carthage like y'all do but going off the information that's provided to me. I'm a say 2022 is number one. 

54 minutes ago, VonG said:

Statistically speaking 2022 is Carthage best football team. According to smoaky.com. They scored the most points offensively and gave up the least amount of points defensively. Now I don't watch Carthage like y'all do but going off the information that's provided to me. I'm a say 2022 is number one. 

Not a bad thought process at all.

2022 was a great team.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

IMO competition was way down this season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Team Ranking:

1) 2017
2) 2020
3) 2013
4) 2008
5) 2022
6) 2010
7) 2019
8. 1991
9) 2009
10) 2016
11) 1983
12) 1992

QB Ranking:

1) Anthony Morgan
2) Blake Bogenschutz
3) Connor Cuff
4) Kai Horton
5) Si Blackshire
6) Joey Blissett 
7) Kayson Davis

8. Gunner Capps

I'm only going to rank the Surratt era teams and Qbs

Teams:

1) 2020

2) 2022

3) 2008

4) 2019

5) 2017

6) 2013

7) 2009

8. 2010

9) 2016

10) 2018

11) 2021

12) 2015

13) 2012

14) 2011

15) 2007

16) 2014

Edited by mikehoncho
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

IMO competition was way down this season.

Maybe.  But hard to say.  Regardless they did exactly what they should have done in 15 out of the 16 games they played! So I got them as my #2.  I feel like 2008, had they been in Surratt's program and system from 7th grade onward and had the tutelage of Preston, they could be higher on this list.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Team Ranking:

1) 2017
2) 2020
3) 2013
4) 2008
5) 2022
6) 2010
7) 2019
8. 1991
9) 2009
10) 2016
11) 1983
12) 1992

QB Ranking:

1) Anthony Morgan
2) Blake Bogenschutz
3) Connor Cuff
4) Kai Horton
5) Si Blackshire
6) Joey Blissett 
7) Kayson Davis

8. Gunner Capps

For QBs in Surratt era:

1) Kai Horton

2) Anthony Morgan

3) Blake Bogenschutz

4) Si Blackshire

5) Connor Cuff

6) Gunner Caps

7) Kayson Davis

8. Jared Blissett

• Like 1

I'll get back to y'all with my list, but I think there is some forgetfulness going on here. I feel like y'all are remembering the lord recent teams a little more fondly. And I think the competition has been down.

Also, I think the coaching staff has gotten better and the recent teams have benefited.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I'll get back to y'all with my list, but I think there is some forgetfulness going on here. I feel like y'all are remembering the lord recent teams a little more fondly. And I think the competition has been down.

Also, I think the coaching staff has gotten better and the recent teams have benefited.

This is all a matter of opinion anyways. Can’t truly prove it one way or another if one team is better than another or if competition was down or not. 

I guess people can have different opinions, but I’m not sure how anybody doesn’t believe 2017 was the best team to come through Carthage. Still one of the best teams I have seen in person at any level. I don’t think any of Surratt’s teams executed at that high of a level prior to that team or since.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SmoakyBandito said:

I guess people can have different opinions, but I’m not sure how anybody doesn’t believe 2017 was the best team to come through Carthage. Still one of the best teams I have seen in person at any level. I don’t think any of Surratt’s teams executed at that high of a level prior to that team or since.

I’m totally with you, SB.

What that team did to Silsbee in the playoffs….wow.

6 hours ago, SmoakyBandito said:

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’m totally with you, SB.

What that team did to Silsbee in the playoffs….wow.

2017 was great. I don’t think they are hands down the best by any means. I look back at their defense Vs some of the others I’ve listed ahead of them and I just think it was not one of our best defenses. Other years had better defenses and as good or better offenses. 

Not gonna worry about if I think their competition was down or not. You can only play the people in front of you right then and there. 

Just now, mikehoncho said:

2017 was great. I don’t think they are hands down the best by any means. I look back at their defense Vs some of the others I’ve listed ahead of them and I just think it was not one of our best defenses. Other years had better defenses and as good or better offenses. 

Not gonna worry about if I think their competition was down or not. You can only play the people in front of you right then and there. 

I am of the opinion the ‘17 defense was way better than people remember.

The 2017 defense had the best two linebackers in the SS Era.  I know Kip Lewis was awesome, but man as a LB unit I’d say 2017 was the best.  Look how we went from defensive production/performance from ‘17 to ‘18, huge drop off then got better again in 2019.

Of course, ‘17 was peak Keaontay and we had really good receivers, one of which was I think the best (when we desired, not out of necessity) two way player we’ve ever had, Mekhi Colbert.  Remember Bowens torching Kennedale - that was fun. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I am of the opinion the ‘17 defense was way better than people remember.

The 2017 defense had the best two linebackers in the SS Era.  I know Kip Lewis was awesome, but man as a LB unit I’d say 2017 was the best.  Look how we went from defensive production/performance from ‘17 to ‘18, huge drop off then got better again in 2019.

Of course, ‘17 was peak Keaontay and we had really good receivers, one of which was I think the best (when we desired, not out of necessity) two way player we’ve ever had, Mekhi Colbert.  Remember Bowens torching Kennedale - that was fun. 

Keaontay, Colbert and Bowens were all lethal and could make you pay on any play.  And I would agree that Colbert was probably the best two way player we have had.  Though some others that deserve consideration I think are Tee Goree, Jalen Claiborne, Edward Pope, Jason Teague.  I'd love to have seen Teague and some others players from before then play in Surratt's program.  

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

Keaontay, Colbert and Bowens were all lethal and could make you pay on any play.  And I would agree that Colbert was probably the best two way player we have had.  Though some others that deserve consideration I think are Tee Goree, Jalen Claiborne, Edward Pope, Jason Teague.  I'd love to have seen Teague and some others players from before then play in Surratt's program.  

Could you imagine the original RB combo of Edwards and Boo Beechum in Surratt’s offense.  Talk about scoring points, good grief. 

This year, in the final two games Fat did his very best Colbert impersonation in excelling on both sides of the ball.

Fat was just great against GR and Wimberley.