This is what got North Carolina State Football announcer suspended.

BlahBlah

Had an acquaintance say, “He should’ve known better, it’s a football game”.  So I’m wondering, it’s a football game so there’s no place for the truth?  Indefinite suspension seems a bit overboard for what was a mixture of truth & humor.  But as I said on the other site, wokism has no place for humor, and this is Wokism Gone Wild.  Heck, all Wokism is insanity gone wild.

• Like 2

True or not it was not really appropriate to say while on the job. If that was the extent of it imo he should have just been reprimanded and warned to keep his personal thoughts to himself. Your freedom to speak and act are limited when you are on company time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

What if he commented on El Paso being the site of the Walmart massacre? Would that have been appropriate? What's he getting paid to do? 

Ahh, so you agree that ESPN and the others should keep politics out of sports?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Olduy said:

Ahh, so you agree that ESPN and the others should keep politics out of sports?

I think there is a place for commentary and opinion, and playing a sport or coaching shouldn't negate someone's ability to advocate or take stances. That may have consequences for them.
I don't think someone doing play by play should do anything but that job, much less pop off randomly. Clear enough for you? 

Even though I usually don’t agree with what LeBron says his being a basketball player doesn’t make his opinion any less than my opinion does as a non-professional athlete.

I always find it odd how people say just play your sport and don’t mention politics.

My thought is everyone is entitled to their opinion and if they want to share their political ideas they can, but not while on the job whatever their job is.

I am in the same boat at my job.  I nor my coworkers discuss politics with our customers.

Now, when I come to SDC I am not on the job and can say I think Joe Biden is a poor POTUS.

If Bron Bron wants to go on a talk show and say he loves the Democrats he’s free to do that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ctown81 said:

So politics do have a place in sports?

Unless it disagrees with your point of view.....But you have to wonder, how many people in the stands were actually ILLEGAL, considering it would be a place to sit, rest, possibly eat, or even work for some.......But since our government administration will not follow the Laws on the books, it is expected that the liberal will complain about the truth being told and then complain that there is NO place in sports for politics, unless it follows their sheep mentality. 

I think professional athletes can say whatever they want.  I don't think that their opinion on an issue means more than anyone else's.  Just because you get paid to play a sport doesn't make you an expert on any situation facing the country.  They just have a tv camera and a microphone to make their thoughts known and we have twitter and SDC.

And it's not like the guy said anything derogatory about anyone or even said the Biden administration wasn't doing anything.  He mentioned an current event at the location they were playing.  If he mentioned a parade that was happening that day or a tragedy that had just occurred in El Paso, nobody would have said anything.  It was that he brought up something that the media doesn't want to talk about.

17 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

What if he commented on El Paso being the site of the Walmart massacre? Would that have been appropriate? What's he getting paid to do? 

If we only did what we got paid to do, we all need to get the hell off of Smoaky 

9 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

So you're saying it's OK to take a stand -- "off the clock"?

In the privacy of your home, I think you can say anything you want. In a public setting OR on social media, educators can't just spew forth anything they want to say without possible consequence. It's built into my code of professional conduct at my school. Is that what you are asking? 

Edited by BarryLaverty

4 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

In the privacy of your home, I think you can say anything you want. In a public setting OR on social media, educators can't just spew forth anything they want to say without possible consequence. It's built into my code of professional conduct at my school. Is that what you are asking? 

I'm not talking about you specifically. I don't spout off on social media or in Public settings just because I don't think it's a very smart thing to do. My social media footprint is small, and I'm generally judicious about what I say on social media and who I follow.

In fact, if you looked at my social media, you probably wouldn't be able to tell my political affiliation based on my posts and who I follow. I don't follow ANY politicians, and I try to avoid following anyone I feel could be "controversial".

Some of the people I follow who are in the tech industry will occasionally post political stuff. But I don't follow them for that. I follow them for their technical expertise.

Edited by Monte1076
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Unless it disagrees with your point of view.....But you have to wonder, how many people in the stands were actually ILLEGAL, considering it would be a place to sit, rest, possibly eat, or even work for some.......But since our government administration will not follow the Laws on the books, it is expected that the liberal will complain about the truth being told and then complain that there is NO place in sports for politics, unless it follows their sheep mentality. 

Nice try. What you're stating is the Conservative argument. Conservatives have ALWAYS said this about Kapp, Lebron....etc. Please don't try to warp reality. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy. NOW it's ok to do something when it goes with your views. I DEFINITELY agree with your very first sentence. That's evident now. Like I said, calling out the hypocrisy. 

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Nice try. What you're stating is the Conservative argument. Conservatives have ALWAYS said this about Kapp, Lebron....etc. Please don't try to warp reality. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy. NOW it's ok to do something when it goes with your views. I DEFINITELY agree with your very first sentence. That's evident now. Like I said, calling out the hypocrisy. 

But where it the truth by "kapp & lebron"? This guy was telling the truth, ILLEGAL ALIENS are coming across our borders in droves, I see it in the schools, I see it on the streets, I see it in the stores......Police brutality--are there bad cops, yes.....but not 99% as bad as the ILLEGAL ALIEN problem in this country. 

But point of view will do that to you won't it. :rofl:

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

But where it the truth by "kapp & lebron"? This guy was telling the truth, ILLEGAL ALIENS are coming across our borders in droves, I see it in the schools, I see it on the streets, I see it in the stores......Police brutality--are there bad cops, yes.....but not 99% as bad as the ILLEGAL ALIEN problem in this country. 

But point of view will do that to you won't it. :rofl:

Ok.... your truth is your truth. Won't argue your truth. Hope your new year is prosperous.