🔴 Oklahoma Sooners 2023 ⚪

Valhalla

49 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

That kid played at Denton Guyer.  

22 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

well, we"ll give him a pass then...

he did choose OU, so mentally

Once of the most impressive self-owns I've seen on Smoaky in some time.

Well done sir.    :rofl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Texas should be the favorite to win the conference this year, so naturally they will find a way to blow it.

I hope the coaching staff devotes far more resources to beating Texas this year than last. 

OU would be better off at 8-4 with a UT win, rather than 10-2 with a UT loss.

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I hope the coaching staff devotes far more resources to beating Texas this year than last. 

OU would be better off at 8-4 with a UT win, rather than 10-2 with a UT loss.

I think we are dodging 3 of the better teams in the Big 12 next year. They had better be at least 10-2.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 10:34 AM, Mr. P said:

Short version: I expect more of the same next year. Somewhere around 8-5 (with a low-tier bowl win) or 7-6 (with a mid-tier bowl loss). 

Full version: There's a steep learning curve to the Venables system on defense, and it's even more obvious now that the kind of defensive players that have been recruited to OU for half a decade aren't a good fit for a physical, assignment-heavy defense. If you don't believe that, you must've missed yesterday's debacle in Dallas. 

I do expect significant improvement from the defense, but it's not going to be enough to counterbalance the ill-advised emphasis on tempo that our offense will force our defense to compensate for. It would be nice to lean as heavily on the run game as we did against Florida State, but someone has *got* to get in Lebby (or Gabriel's?) face about the clock management. Rolling up 600 yards doesn't matter if we give them the ball for nearly 40 minutes per game.

Hopefully we come out on the winning end of a couple of those single-digit losses we experienced this year, but I'm not counting on it. We'll lose to TCU. We'll split games with KU/KSU. We'll probably win 2 of 3 against TxTech, OkState, and WV, but will almost certainly lose at Baylor. UT is a crapshoot (there's no reason we beat them, so we might actually).

Oklahoma will never be in the conversation for a conference title. We'll finish the regular season 7-5 and either win a low-tier bowl or lose a mid-tier bowl. The temperature of Brent's seat going into '24 will depend on how we finish the post-season.

Ceiling: 8-5
Floor: 7-6

Yeah...  guess I need to update this. 

WEEK          OPPONENT                RESULT
 1                Arkansas State              WIN
 2                Southern Methodist   WIN
 3                at Tulsa                             WIN
 4                at Cincinnati                   WIN
 5                Iowa State                       WIN
 6                Texas                                     ?
 7                Central Florida                   ?
 8                at Kansas                             ?
 9                at Oklahoma State     WIN
10               West Virginia               WIN
11               at Brigham Young      LOSS
12               Texas Christian          LOSS
BOWL       Mid-tier opponent    WIN

There are seven clearly winnable games. Barring a historical meltdown (yet again) OU wins those.

There are two clear losses that I don't see OU having a legit chance at winning. 

There are three games that could go either way, including UT. 

8 hours ago, Mr. P said:

There are seven clearly winnable games. Barring a historical meltdown (yet again) OU wins those.

There are two clear losses that I don't see OU having a legit chance at winning. 

BYU wasn’t good this year and TCU lost their whole team. 

I’ll take my chances.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valhalla said:

BYU wasn’t good this year and TCU lost their whole team. 

I’ll take my chances.

Nah, I think BYU sees the emergence of a new quarterback who is equal parts Steve Young and Jim McMahon, with Ty Detmer's moxie. The combination will result in a 50-point shellacking that is illuminated by the pearly-white smiles of 63,470 giddy Mormons. The following week TCU injures all six QBs on OU's roster in the first quarter, resulting in Lebby sending  DJ Graham to run an all-pass two-minute offense that snaps the ball when the playclock is still at 40 seconds every play. The Horned Frogs win by 84 points and when the coaches meet at mid-field Spike Dykes pulls off his mask to reveal that he was Lincoln Riley all along. Venables is fired in the locker room immediately following the game. Caleb Williams wins a second Heisman. UT and USC both finish the season undefeated and the NCAA awards them both National Championships. President Joseph Biden announces that football is banned in Oklahoma, and the IRS forecloses on all university property. Radicals storm the monument plaza and pull down statues of OU Heisman winners and replace them with grotesque sculptures honoring serial killers in American history. Lincoln Riley gets a contract extension worth all the money in the world, and is appointed Emperor of the Western Hemisphere.  

• Love 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Be an improved group based on what? They return only 23 players, from a team that wasn't very good anyway. You can have great starters across the board (which they did not), but if you don't have depth, you're still going to lose a lot of games. Guys get hurt. They need breaks during the game. etc. 

OU could realistically field a worse team this season, but still win a couple more games, simply because of their schedule. I saw the comment above, 'BYU wasn't good, and TCU lost their whole team'. Both of those things are true of OU.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Be an improved group based on what? They return only 23 players, from a team that wasn't very good anyway. You can have great starters across the board (which they did not), but if you don't have depth, you're still going to lose a lot of games. Guys get hurt. They need breaks during the game. etc. 

OU could realistically field a worse team this season, but still win a couple more games, simply because of their schedule. I saw the comment above, 'BYU wasn't good, and TCU lost their whole team'. Both of those things are true of OU.

I believe that comment was specifically about the secondary. 

BUT

Oklahoma will not go 0-5 in one possession games this next year. 

They lost 4 games by 3 points. You flip two of those and they have the same exact record as the Texas team who people are hyping up right now to win the Conference. Who lost the player that kept them from being 6-6.

Edited by Valhalla
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I believe that comment was specifically about the secondary. 

BUT

Oklahoma will not go 0-5 in one possession games this next year. 

They lost 4 games by 3 points. You flip two of those and they have the same exact record as the Texas team who people are hyping up right now to win the Conference.

I did say, I believe they could win more games this season.

As to the one possession games, the final score may have indicated a one score final, but that doesn't reflect the true outcome of the game. 

They scored with 30 seconds left against KSU. Otherwise, that's a 14 point game.

Similar thing against Baylor. They trailed by 10 before scoring late. 

The other 3, they blew a 4th quarter lead against WV. That secondary he was referring to, got torched by TT and FSU. 

You can make the argument as to how close their record was to Texas', but everyone knows those two teams were not close last year in terms of talent. I could give my opinion as to why, as well as why many are high on Texas going into this season, but that's another conversation. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Be an improved group based on what?...

7 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I believe that comment was specifically about the secondary... 

Correct, it's about the Secondary in particular. 

Venables addressed the depth when talking about the LBs: 

“I feel like we got exactly what we need. But… I think that’s — you look at it like I do like golly we really can’t afford an injury here,” he said. You know if that happens to me it’s a different conversation. The margin for error is small there. But I love the group of guys. And we’ve made exponential improvement from where we were a year ago at this time.”

And yes, OU had a losing record last year, and they underperformed, and they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on multiple occasions. Etc. 

But I think it's still a bit early to close the casket on OU football. The possibility for improvement in Year One is not a far-fetched concept. A team can certainly rebound from a sub-500 record to have a shot at a conference title. Surely this can't be hard for a UT fan to believe.

It's all a matter of how well they make the most of their opportunities, rather than squandering them. Last season OU was, more often than not, their own worst enemy.  

There's been a lot of attrition, and addition by subtraction. No, I don't think OU is "back" or anything, but I think they'll be better. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Correct, it's about the Secondary in particular. 

Venables addressed the depth when talking about the LBs: 

“I feel like we got exactly what we need. But… I think that’s — you look at it like I do like golly we really can’t afford an injury here,” he said. You know if that happens to me it’s a different conversation. The margin for error is small there. But I love the group of guys. And we’ve made exponential improvement from where we were a year ago at this time.”

And yes, OU had a losing record last year, and they underperformed, and they snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on multiple occasions. Etc. 

But I think it's still a bit early to close the casket on OU football. The possibility for improvement in Year One is not a far-fetched concept. A team can certainly rebound from a sub-500 record to have a shot at a conference title. Surely this can't be hard for a UT fan to believe.

It's all a matter of how well they make the most of their opportunities, rather than squandering them. Last season OU was, more often than not, their own worst enemy.  

There's been a lot of attrition, and addition by subtraction. No, I don't think OU is "back" or anything, but I think they'll be better. 

Their pass defense was one of the worst in the country last year. That's why I have a hard time with any positive comments regarding their secondary. 

I do agree that you can see massive improvement from one year to the next. Typically, however, that happens by adding the missing pieces to what you already have. Again, OU is only bringing back 23 players. That's not adding to anything, that's rebuilding. And rebuilds usually take more than a year.

I will say, I think anyone arguing against Venables is ridiculous. I don't believe last season was his fault. If anything, OU probably outperformed their ability last season because of Venables. Riley left him nothing! I do also believe if he's given time, he will have them looking more like we all expect OU football to look like within just a couple years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Their pass defense was one of the worst in the country last year. That's why I have a hard time with any positive comments regarding their secondary. 

I do agree that you can see massive improvement from one year to the next. Typically, however, that happens by adding the missing pieces to what you already have. Again, OU is only bringing back 23 players. That's not adding to anything, that's rebuilding. And rebuilds usually take more than a year.

I will say, I think anyone arguing against Venables is ridiculous. I don't believe last season was his fault. If anything, OU probably outperformed their ability last season because of Venables. Riley left him nothing! I do also believe if he's given time, he will have them looking more like we all expect OU football to look like within just a couple years. 

Good points, I would also add the caveat that OU's schedule *looks* like it might be easier this season:

On 2/7/2023 at 2:46 PM, Mr. P said:

OU is trading Kansas State, Baylor, and Texas Tech...   for Cincinnati, Brigham Young, and Central Florida

Those are hardly gimme games, but it's certainly a more welcoming schedule for a rebuilding program. 

• Mr. P locked this topic