🔴 Oklahoma Sooners 2023 ⚪

Valhalla

29 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Good points, I would also add the caveat that OU's schedule *looks* like it might be easier this season:

OU is trading Kansas State, Baylor, and Texas Tech...   for Cincinnati, Brigham Young, and Central Florida

Those are hardly gimme games, but it's certainly a more welcoming schedule for a rebuilding program. 

That goes back to what I was saying in my initial comment. Their schedule sets them up to likely have a better record this season, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be a better team....yet. 

I think the first 4 games are wins. I would consider Iowa State a toss up, today, but with it being a home game, we'll say they win that one. The next three could all be losses. Mike Gundy could have his worst season with Ok State this year. I'm not sure what all WV returns. BYU, I think, will be better, and playing in Provo is tough. TCU will be a bowl team, but they'll take a big step back with Duggan gone. 

If I were making a prediction today, I'd say 8-4. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

If I were making a prediction today, I'd say 8-4

Yeah, that's a fair appraisal.

Anyone predicting more than 9 wins is far too optimistic. Anyone predicting less than 7 wins is drunk on haterade. 

• 2 weeks later...
SOONERS

OU Board of Regents approve $175 million football operations 'facility of tomorrow'

6f405f09-2a89-455b-b6d3-0ec700cabdf1-e9fRyan Aber
Oklahoman

NORMAN — OU athletics director Joe Castiglione said the plan to move forward with a new football operations facility is about much more than just competing in the SEC arms race.

“Sometimes you all frame it as, ‘Keeping up with the Joneses,’” Castiglione said following the OU Board of Regents meeting Tuesday at the Stephenson Research and Technology Center.

“I don’t think it’s that as much as it is the quest to recruit the best and the brightest is as competitive as it’s ever been, and it’s an entirely new landscape. … So you have to provide a comprehensive approach that makes Oklahoma the most attractive destination for the best and the brightest, and do what we do best. Facilities are definitely part of that.”

At Tuesday’s meeting, the OU Board of Regentsapproved the next step in the facility, approving the selection of a construction manager for the project.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Smart the get another OC in line for the eventual Jeff Lebby departure.

I'm hoping someone *anyone* gets in his earhole about using the game clock effectively. 

Posting it here for later reference: 

The Sooners ranked 121st in the nation in total defense (461 yards per game) and 98th in scoring defense (30.0 points per game). 79th in the nation in overall defensive grade, 54th in pass coverage grade, 79th in run defense grade, 26th in pass coverage grade, and 71st in tackling grade.

Anything less than finishing 2023 on "another planet" is unacceptable. Those are his words

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spring game hot takes:

1.) The defense has made considerable improvement already. Not so much X's and O's stuff (because the sets are very basic/vanila in Spring Game) but in pursuit angles and tackling ability. This defense is already significantly more physical than previous years. If the schemes and assignments are there, this D will be quite salty. 

2.) Line play and wideout depth are a problem. We still don't have a star receiver or a line anchor. This will cost us in close games. Clock management is gonna have to be elite this season, or we'll continue to snatch defeat from the jaw of victory.

3.) Dillon Gabriel is what he is. Not great, but not terrible. Beville/Booty are not suited for Lebby's system. They're just not. Arnold plays like a talented college freshman. No surprises there. 

If Venables can't win 10 with that schedule then he probably isn't the guy.  No P5 OOC game.  No K-State, Baylor, or Tech, who all beat OU last year.  What's the hardest game?  UCF?  Cincy?  Texas game can always be unpredictable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

If Venables can't win 10 with that schedule then he probably isn't the guy.  No P5 OOC game.  No K-State, Baylor, or Tech, who all beat OU last year.  What's the hardest game?  UCF?  Cincy?  Texas game can always be unpredictable.

I think 8 wins is the floor....  UT is a toss up. We shouldn't beat them, but that doesn't mean we won't.

Also, we almost always inexplicably lose to someone we shouldn't. This season I think it'll be someone like Kansas or Central Florida.

I also think we lose to TCU or BYU, or both. See below:  

On 2/7/2023 at 2:46 PM, Mr. P said:

Yeah...  guess I need to update this. 

WEEK          OPPONENT                RESULT
 1                Arkansas State              WIN
 2                Southern Methodist   WIN
 3                at Tulsa                             WIN
 4                at Cincinnati                   WIN
 5                Iowa State                       WIN
 6                Texas                                     ?
 7                Central Florida                   ?
 8                at Kansas                             ?
 9                at Oklahoma State     WIN
10               West Virginia               WIN
11               at Brigham Young      LOSS
12               Texas Christian          LOSS
BOWL       Mid-tier opponent    WIN

There are seven clearly winnable games. Barring a historical meltdown (yet again) OU wins those.

There are two clear losses that I don't see OU having a legit chance at winning. 

There are three games that could go either way, including UT. 

31 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Georgia was on the schedule, but the SEC canceled that series.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

It's also why I'm not getting too hyped or bummed about certain recruits that I want to play at my alma mater (cough cough, Taylor Tatum, cough cough).

Just because they sign at one school doesn't mean they might not portal out to my school. 

The milestone of the "big name commitment" is becoming smaller and smaller. 

How serious is that kid about baseball? Is he trying to do both? Is even good at baseball?

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

How serious is that kid about baseball? Is he trying to do both? Is even good at baseball?

I think he's serious about trying to do both on the college level. And yeah, he's pretty good. 

• Mr. P locked this topic