👍🏻 Texas A&M Aggies 2023 👍🏻

Stoney

I’m not even mad at the hire. He has been successful offensively with all sorts of different talent levels and seems to adjust well. I think A&M is talented enough to do well even if it’s the same Jimbo special just a more efficient playcalling and tempo. 

What has me scratching my head is that this hire could have been made a month ago. Hell you could have finalized this deal the week after the lsu game and tried to recruit your tail off. Instead this turned into 6 weeks of pretty much wasting time on the recruiting trail and then hiring the guy you could have had all along… 

What will really set me off and I expect it to happen, is that there will probably not be any staff changes outside of this. Petrino will come in and call plays and the rest of the staff will remain the same. I’m okay with some, but major upgrades are needed at the oline and QB position coaches. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I’m not even mad at the hire. He has been successful offensively with all sorts of different talent levels and seems to adjust well. I think A&M is talented enough to do well even if it’s the same Jimbo special just a more efficient playcalling and tempo. 

What has me scratching my head is that this hire could have been made a month ago. Hell you could have finalized this deal the week after the lsu game and tried to recruit your tail off. Instead this turned into 6 weeks of pretty much wasting time on the recruiting trail and then hiring the guy you could have had all along… 

What will really set me off and I expect it to happen, is that there will probably not be any staff changes outside of this. Petrino will come in and call plays and the rest of the staff will remain the same. I’m okay with some, but major upgrades are needed at the oline and QB position coaches. 

I'm willing to let the QB and OL coaches hang around an extra year. The OL had tons of injuries but started to play better towards the end of the year. The QB, I blame mostly on scheme. I feel like better schemes will help both positions out. Remember, Winston won the Heisman with like a 65% completion percentage- this isn't a spread offense. Hopefully Petrino is being hired not just to call plays but to introduce more creativity to the offense and coach the players to understand it all. 

If the OL is healthy next year and struggles, then yes, get rid of Addaizo. As it is, I'm willing to give him a chance. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Bobby Petrino hired as OC. Great offensive mind, not the best character. 

Good thing you weren’t in the market for a preacher or this would be a bad hire.  As OC though, he will help the offense tremendously.  Good hire

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I'm willing to let the QB and OL coaches hang around an extra year. The OL had tons of injuries but started to play better towards the end of the year. The QB, I blame mostly on scheme. I feel like better schemes will help both positions out. Remember, Winston won the Heisman with like a 65% completion percentage- this isn't a spread offense. Hopefully Petrino is being hired not just to call plays but to introduce more creativity to the offense and coach the players to understand it all. 

If the OL is healthy next year and struggles, then yes, get rid of Addaizo. As it is, I'm willing to give him a chance. 

I don’t want Addazio gone simply because the oline wasn’t great. I get the injury situation. It’s his personal situation that makes me want him gone. He has health issues and missed time from them. Apparently enough time that his son was coaching the oline as a GA for few weeks. That’s not acceptable with these resources. Cut Addazio and get a younger stud recruiter at the position. 

As far as QB coach, I agree it’s system. I just meant it’s a dead weight positional coach if you’ve got Craig doing it. You know Jimbo doesn’t have Craig doing the heavy lifting there. 

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t want Addazio gone simply because the oline wasn’t great. I get the injury situation. It’s his personal situation that makes me want him gone. He has health issues and missed time from them. Apparently enough time that his son was coaching the oline as a GA for few weeks. That’s not acceptable with these resources. Cut Addazio and get a younger stud recruiter at the position. 

As far as QB coach, I agree it’s system. I just meant it’s a dead weight positional coach if you’ve got Craig doing it. You know Jimbo doesn’t have Craig doing the heavy lifting there. 

Yeah. Craig needs to be changed to what he is- a recruiting analyst. Killer recruiter, but I doubt he does much. Our receivers weren't great with him in charge. 

About Addazio, I feel bad but you might be right. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Good thing you weren’t in the market for a preacher or this would be a bad hire.  As OC though, he will help the offense tremendously.  Good hire

What's he gonna do, hold Jumbo's clipboard and signal in plays? ....

8 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

6 figures is solid. haven’t there been deals in the millions though for other teams? I thought I read even Saban talking about million dollar deals for players on his team. 

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

6 figures is solid. haven’t there been deals in the millions though for other teams? I thought I read even Saban talking about million dollar deals for players on his team. 

IDK I'm not paying the bills at neither university. But to say he was entirely recruited is moronic.

Petrino doesn’t seem like he’s a recruiter so I could see Jimbo keeping Craig and Coley around. I’m more of a Coley fan than a Craig fan. You never saw improvement with the WRs or QBs under Craig. I could be surprised but I don’t see there being a huge upheaval with the staff. Yet. This season goes to pot again and we kinda have an idea how that turns out. 

Addazio getting another year isn’t something I’m a fan of but I get it. You hope his health is good. You hope the o-line’s health is good too. Both of those with a year of continuity hopefully leads to improved results. 

Petrino is nowhere close to being my top pick but like we talked about in another thread, he checks a lot of the boxes we’ve wanted in an OC. He’s not Jimbo. He lets Jimbo CEO. He’s got enough skins on the wall that Jimbo can trust him to call plays. He’s had good offenses with QBs like Ryan Mallett and Lamar Jackson. Find me two more polar opposite QBs. 

• Mr. P locked this topic