πŸ‘πŸ» Texas A&M Aggies 2023 πŸ‘πŸ»

Stoney

On 4/16/2023 at 6:38 PM, WETSU said:

They give out spring MVP trophies. It’s actually common at most universities. Including Alabama.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-football-players-recognized-for-achievement-in-spring-practice-following-A-Day-Game-included-transfer-running-back-Jahmyr-Gibbs-being-MVP-186321734/

Β 

Β 

Try harder. If this is the effort you put into things, I’m not surprised Jimbo was able to upset you.Β 

Do they even put any effort into it any more?Β 

This site is an absolute joke at this point, sadly. This kind of low hanging fruit trolling is what's apparently encouraged by mods and admins. And those losers are all too happy to embarrass themselves time and time again. No shame. Oh well.Β 

Edited by JohnnyFootball

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He was never going to start. He did convince a few friends to come here, but they all got kicked off the team except Nolen

We just picked up the transfer CB from Boston College Josh DeBerry today as well. Slowly but surely CB room shaping up.

33 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

Question once you get the portal are you allowed to come back? I heard Texas has a No take back policy. I wonder if this should be mandated. Grass isn’t always greener or be great full.Β 

It’s like your wife handing you divorce papers. She could change her mind, realize what she got and come back home. If she don’t cook, she don’t clean, she’s on your butt 24/7 would you want her back?Β 

• Thanks 1

Bobby Taylor posted this on his IG, after entering the portal...

"And don't think I wanted to leave."

Β 

With so many players transferring from A&M since December, and with this comment, does anyone know what's really going on?

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Β 

With so many players transferring from A&M since December, and with this comment, does anyone know what's really going on?

A transfer took his spot and all the friends who were there with him got kicked off the team.Β 

• Wow 1

29 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

A transfer took his spot and all the friends who were there with him got kicked off the team.Β 

I'd almost completely forgotten about him until this recent announcement. Doesn't seem like he was setting BCS on fire.Β 

42 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

But what does he mean by, "don't think I wanted to leave"? I'm just curious, if he's being forced out, why?

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

But what does he mean by, "don't think I wanted to leave"? I'm just curious, if he's being forced out, why?

As a fellow outsider, I took that as him being recruited over?Β 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

No he’s not being forced out. Sometimes the staff just tells kids β€œhey you’re a good kid and you’re trying hard, but we are bringing in some talented guys. There’s no hard feelings if you want to go get playing time somewhere.” 
Β 

It’s not kicking them out but just being honest with a kid that he will be facing uphill battles to get the kind of PT he wants. A&M has plenty of open scholarships and he’s a position of need so it’s not about pushing him out as much as it is just laying all the cards on the table. Some will look down on that but as a player I would prefer the honesty.Β 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stoney said:

It’s like your wife handing you divorce papers. She could change her mind, realize what she got and come back home. If she don’t cook, she don’t clean, she’s on your butt 24/7 would you want her back?Β 

Don’t mention wives and A&M/Jimbo in this thread. There are those among us who that sort of talk hits home a little too closely if you know what I mean.Β 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

No he’s not being forced out. Sometimes the staff just tells kids β€œhey you’re a good kid and you’re trying hard, but we are bringing in some talented guys. There’s no hard feelings if you want to go get playing time somewhere.” 
Β 

It’s not kicking them out but just being honest with a kid that he will be facing uphill battles to get the kind of PT he wants. A&M has plenty of open scholarships and he’s a position of need so it’s not about pushing him out as much as it is just laying all the cards on the table. Some will look down on that but as a player I would prefer the honesty.Β 

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I was curious if there was more to it.

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yeah, I know the feeling. Granted, I was just an 8th grader, but I appreciate the coaches being straight with me.Β 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Don’t mention wives and A&M/Jimbo in this thread. There are those among us who that sort of talk hits home a little too closely if you know what I mean.Β 

WET, I didn’t even make that connection until your brought up. There was talk even when we were recruiting Bobby that he’d be a safety at the next level, not a corner. Wish the kid best of luck at his next stop and thank him for his time at A&M.

36 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I was curious if there was more to it.

Ultimately, you'd have to talk to Bobby.Β 

Everything else is speculation, sadly. Matthew Wykoff left recently too. He's one of like 4 scholarship centers on the team. And he left during/after spring ball. You do the math.Β 

Edited by JohnnyFootball
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ultimately, you'd have to talk to Bobby.Β 

Everything else is speculation, sadly. Matthew Wykoff left recently too. He's one of like 4 scholarship centers on the team. And he left during/after spring ball. You do the math.Β 

Another question for you, why is Fisher being so stubborn on naming Weigman the starting QB? Certainly he's not actually considering starting Johnson over Weigman, is he?Β 

19 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Another question for you, why is Fisher being so stubborn on naming Weigman the starting QB? Certainly he's not actually considering starting Johnson over Weigman, is he?Β 

My opinion is this is just his way. I don’t think you’ll see many cases he names a starter in the spring unless it’s an obvious incumbent. I mean even though he looked good, Johnson has a lot of SEC experience and is very capable.Β 

13 minutes ago, WETSU said:

My opinion is this is just his way. I don’t think you’ll see many cases he names a starter in the spring unless it’s an obvious incumbent. I mean even though he looked good, Johnson has a lot of SEC experience and is very capable.Β 

I just think Weigman is your guy. I said that last year, before they finally put him in, and he proved it to me when I saw him play. The offense seemed to open up more with Weigman. Johnson may have more experience, but that doesn't mean he's the better choice. Just my opinion.Β 

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I just think Weigman is your guy. I said that last year, before they finally put him in, and he proved it to me when I saw him play. The offense seemed to open up more with Weigman. Johnson may have more experience, but that doesn't mean he's the better choice. Just my opinion.Β 

What about Weigman's play made you think he's "the guy"?Β 

He had a big game in a loss against Ole Miss (ranked 55th pass defense in the country last year) but otherwise was not effective in the slightest. In his other starts, here is how he looked:

Auburn - 14/36 for 121 yards and 1 TD

UMass - 11/19 for 191 yards and 1 TD

LSU - 12/18 for 155 yards and 2 TD

So many people are saying that it's "clear" Weigman is the way forward. I just don't see it. He broke 200 yards through the air only once, against an average pass defense.Β 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

What about Weigman's play made you think he's "the guy"?Β 

He had a big game in a loss against Ole Miss (ranked 55th pass defense in the country last year) but otherwise was not effective in the slightest. In his other starts, here is how he looked:

Auburn - 14/36 for 121 yards and 1 TD

UMass - 11/19 for 191 yards and 1 TD

LSU - 12/18 for 155 yards and 2 TD

So many people are saying that it's "clear" Weigman is the way forward. I just don't see it. He broke 200 yards through the air only once, against an average pass defense.Β 

A couple of things first.

When I say I think Weigman is 'the guy', I simply mean on the roster right now. Is he the best option for the next 2-3 years, I don't know, but I do think he's the better option between he and Johnson.

I'm also not here to defend any Aggie (ha), just giving my opinion.Β 

Β 

All that said, I think you already know what you have in Max Johnson. He's going into year 4, and I think he's the same QB he was 3 years ago.Β 

Conner Weigman was a true freshman last year. I'm not saying he blew me away, but he did impress me...and I'm not basing any of this on his numbers, simply what I saw from him.

He was more mobile in the pocket than Johnson, and seemed to feel the pressure a little sooner (not that it always mattered, because the OL didn't provide a lot of pass protection). I also think he's quicker and faster.Β 

He seemed to read the field better, and gets rid of the ball quicker. I also think he was a bit more accurate.Β 

Overall, I think he has far more upside than Johnson.Β 

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

A couple of things first.

When I say I think Weigman is 'the guy', I simply mean on the roster right now. Is he the best option for the next 2-3 years, I don't know, but I do think he's the better option between he and Johnson.

I'm also not here to defend any Aggie (ha), just giving my opinion.Β 

Β 

All that said, I think you already know what you have in Max Johnson. He's going into year 4, and I think he's the same QB he was 3 years ago.Β 

Conner Weigman was a true freshman last year. I'm not saying he blew me away, but he did impress me...and I'm not basing any of this on his numbers, simply what I saw from him.

He was more mobile in the pocket than Johnson, and seemed to feel the pressure a little sooner (not that it always mattered, because the OL didn't provide a lot of pass protection). I also think he's quicker and faster.Β 

He seemed to read the field better, and gets rid of the ball quicker. I also think he was a bit more accurate.Β 

Overall, I think he has far more upside than Johnson.Β 

I agree with all of this. He has better pocket presence and has more potential to extend plays with his legs to make throws. Johnson is either take the sack or bail out early a lot of times because he doesn’t press much. That’s fine if you’ve got a great oline or a good running game that you’re just asking him not to make mistakes. I do not believe A&M can get to the level it should be at with this much talent by just having a bus driver at QB (which I think Johnson is). They need a little more juice at that position that can make teams pay for stacking the box.Β 
Β 

Fishers legacy and his future at A&M to me is in the hands of Connor Weigman being able to elevate this team to a different level. If he’s still putting up mediocre numbers and this team stumbles to 7-5 this season Fisher is done. But there’s just enough talent on this roster that with the right breaks health wise and some big jumps in production from last years freshman that saw tons of minutes, they could win 10 and bring some momentum back to save Fishers tenure. Big ifs in there but to me you have to hope Weigman is that guy.Β 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:47 AM, Lobo97 said:

Β 

So NOW I feel like something fishy is in the air. He's decided to stay. Weird.Β 

• Mr. P locked this topic