👍🏻 Texas A&M Aggies 2023 👍🏻

Stoney

1 hour ago, KirtFalcon said:

Jumbo didn't hire him, A&M hired him .... has anyone heard Jumbo even agree publicly that he needs an OC? ....  I haven't heard anything he has said or written that even acknowledges anything about even looking for or needing one .... maybe I have missed it ....

"Texas A&M Coach shall recommend the hiring and termination of employment of all assistant football coaches and other staff members, with the terms and conditions of such hirings and terminations to be finally determined by the Director, and with certain hirings subject to approval by the University president, System chancellor and System board of regents when required by System policy due to the terms of the contract for the proposed hire."

Many people want to read into this as that the people above Fisher can dictate to him who he hires and fires. However, the language essentially states that those people can get involved in the terms of the arrangements (length of contract, salary, etc.) as opposed to the naming of the personnel themselves. Pressure (not contractually based) can be placed on Fisher to make changes but ultimately Fisher decides who is going to be on his staff.

8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

"Texas A&M Coach shall recommend the hiring and termination of employment of all assistant football coaches and other staff members, with the terms and conditions of such hirings and terminations to be finally determined by the Director, and with certain hirings subject to approval by the University president, System chancellor and System board of regents when required by System policy due to the terms of the contract for the proposed hire."

Many people want to read into this as that the people above Fisher can dictate to him who he hires and fires. However, the language essentially states that those people can get involved in the terms of the arrangements (length of contract, salary, etc.) as opposed to the naming of the personnel themselves. Pressure (not contractually based) can be placed on Fisher to make changes but ultimately Fisher decides who is going to be on his staff.

Ok .... that sounds good .... now show me where he has "recommended the hiring" of an OC .... or specifically Petrino .... or even that he wanted or needed one ....

Looks to me like Jumbo's heart isn't really in it .... 

“There's a lot of things going on now in football that my job has changed so much in the last two years it's ridiculous. Probably moreso as head coaches, things you've got to deal with away from ball more in the last two years than it ever has in college football, maybe ever. All of the things that go on and all of the new things that go on. We'll see when we get them in here."- Jimbo 

“Nonetheless, I wrote in December that Petrino "coached against Fisher, runs a similar offense, has coached quarterbacks, and would call plays (Fisher friendly items). The coordinator, play calling, and quarterback coaching roles would meet the minimum requirements of donors and admin types that want to free Fisher up to be a CEO and not be so involved on the offensive side of the ball."- Tarp

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35379116/texas-hiring-bobby-petrino-offensive-coordinator?platform=amp

Fisher has always called his own plays on offense and is one of the diminishing number of head coaches to do so, and although he will still be heavily involved in the Aggies' offense, sources told ESPN that Petrino will take over primary playcalling duties.

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

There’s just no logical reason why someone like Petrino takes the job if that’s the case. Petrino will be given full control. If Jimbo wanted a yes man he could have hired a nobody for cheaper and easier to deal with. 

I believe Petrino has been told he has control of the offense otherwise he wouldn’t be there. I’m sure he’s hoping to use this opportunity to get his name in the job pools of P5 schools. There has to be some concern as to how Jimbo will handle it especially if things don’t go how he feels they should. 

Still no news conference or statement from Jumbo?

#1 admitting he needs an OC

#2 Offering or selecting Petrino

#3 Enthusiastically welcoming Petrino

Silence is golden ....

Why nothing from Jumbo if he is on board with this?

Looks like a shotgun wedding 💑  doesn't it?

• Grumpy 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:25 PM, Stoney said:

Why are you dignifying that mental midget with a response? Lol

Truly surprised by the hire and the acceptance of the hire by the Aggie faithful on this thread. Since the age of the Women’s Lib movement, the number one taboo principal was you don’t have affairs with subordinates. Petrino rose through the ranks during this time period and knew better but ignored rule number one. That is in my mind a serious character flaw. Aggies have always prided themselves as a “high character” university. Does this reflect negatively on Fisher’s character? Beard lost his job at Texas because he violated the new no no … don’t get involved in domestic abuse. I suspect the Aggie offense will improve under Petrino.

Interesting....

Desperate people do desperate things, Paul Finebaum contends.

That’s the reaction the SEC Network analyst shared Thursday during an appearance on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 when asked about Jimbo Fisher’s decision to hire Bobby Petrino as his offensive coordinator.

“We forget about JetGate Petrino,” Finebaum said. “We fixate on the Harley motorcycle Bobby Petrino, but this guy has always been a snake in the grass.”

Petrino was last in the SEC in 2011, his fourth season as head coach at Arkansas. He was fired the following spring after it was revealed he was untruthful about an extramarital affair with an athletic department staff member. The photo of Petrino - with a neck brace on - will forever commemorate the incident in which he misled officials about being alone on a motorcycle.

Long before that, in 2003, on the Thursday before the Iron Bowl, Auburn officials flew to an airport near Louisville to talk to Petrino, who, at the time, was the head coach of the Cardinals, to talk about the job at Auburn behind then-coach Tommy Tuberville’s back. Petrino had worked at Auburn under Tuberville the season before.

“We act like Bobby Petrino is a savant, that he’s never failed, but, quite frankly, he did fail at Louisville. He got fired there in his second go round. That’s on top of the other malfeasances that has occurred in his clock.”
Finebaum is referring to December of 2007, when Petrino - the head coach of the 3-10 Falcons - resigned to become head coach at Arkansas for the second time. The move was less than 24 hours after personally promising owner Arthur Blank that he was staying in Atlanta. Petrino informed his players of his departure with a four-sentence note left at each player’s locker.

While Petrino brings luggage with him, Finebaum contends, the hire is more of a reflection of Fisher than Petrino.

“I don’t know how to interpret this,” Finebaum said. “Jimbo Fisher finally woke up and realized he may be down to his last swing. He’s going to go down in flames or roll the dice with someone who is, quite frankly, one of the most disliked people in modern football history.”

2 hours ago, bordertown said:

Truly surprised by the hire and the acceptance of the hire by the Aggie faithful on this thread. Since the age of the Women’s Lib movement, the number one taboo principal was you don’t have affairs with subordinates. Petrino rose through the ranks during this time period and knew better but ignored rule number one. That is in my mind a serious character flaw. Aggies have always prided themselves as a “high character” university. Does this reflect negatively on Fisher’s character? Beard lost his job at Texas because he violated the new no no … don’t get involved in domestic abuse. I suspect the Aggie offense will improve under Petrino.

What am I supposed to do? Denounce everything Texas A&M, burn my jerseys, sell my season tickets, melt down my Aggie Ring, and shred my diploma? 

The man screwed up like 10 years ago. If I were perfect, maybe I'd care more about his mistakes, but I'm not. I'm not his friend. Tons of coaches have "character flaws" in the SEC West alone. Hugh Freeze running the ship at Auburn, Joey Freshwater at Ole Miss, Nick Saban at Alabama lol... Then you've got other teams that hire coaches who can't stop drinking... literally in the locker room! 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Interesting....

Desperate people do desperate things, Paul Finebaum contends.

That’s the reaction the SEC Network analyst shared Thursday during an appearance on “The Opening Kickoff” on WNSP-FM 105.5 when asked about Jimbo Fisher’s decision to hire Bobby Petrino as his offensive coordinator.

“We forget about JetGate Petrino,” Finebaum said. “We fixate on the Harley motorcycle Bobby Petrino, but this guy has always been a snake in the grass.”

Petrino was last in the SEC in 2011, his fourth season as head coach at Arkansas. He was fired the following spring after it was revealed he was untruthful about an extramarital affair with an athletic department staff member. The photo of Petrino - with a neck brace on - will forever commemorate the incident in which he misled officials about being alone on a motorcycle.

Long before that, in 2003, on the Thursday before the Iron Bowl, Auburn officials flew to an airport near Louisville to talk to Petrino, who, at the time, was the head coach of the Cardinals, to talk about the job at Auburn behind then-coach Tommy Tuberville’s back. Petrino had worked at Auburn under Tuberville the season before.

“We act like Bobby Petrino is a savant, that he’s never failed, but, quite frankly, he did fail at Louisville. He got fired there in his second go round. That’s on top of the other malfeasances that has occurred in his clock.”
Finebaum is referring to December of 2007, when Petrino - the head coach of the 3-10 Falcons - resigned to become head coach at Arkansas for the second time. The move was less than 24 hours after personally promising owner Arthur Blank that he was staying in Atlanta. Petrino informed his players of his departure with a four-sentence note left at each player’s locker.

While Petrino brings luggage with him, Finebaum contends, the hire is more of a reflection of Fisher than Petrino.

“I don’t know how to interpret this,” Finebaum said. “Jimbo Fisher finally woke up and realized he may be down to his last swing. He’s going to go down in flames or roll the dice with someone who is, quite frankly, one of the most disliked people in modern football history.”

A shock jock said something for a story. News at 11. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Why are you dignifying that mental midget with a response? Lol

I don’t know. Trying to show proof and have honest conversations with someone who can’t go beyond the derp derp aggy jumbo jokes is useless.

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I don’t know. Trying to show proof and have honest conversations with someone who can’t go beyond the derp derp aggy jumbo jokes is useless.

Correct. The REALLY sad part? He actually thinks he's clever/funny! Like legitimately! 

@WETSU @Stoney let’s just ignore the loser. He’s not got enough sense to just go away when nobody gives him attention but he clearly can’t comprehend an actual honest football conversation. 

Man law?

Edited by JohnnyFootball

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Correct. The REALLY sad part? He actually thinks he's clever/funny! Like legitimately! 

@WETSU @Stoney let’s just ignore the loser. He’s not got enough sense to just go away when nobody gives him attention but he clearly can’t comprehend an actual honest football conversation. 

Man law?

What kind of loser has the amount of time to troll that way? I hope I never reach the point where my life’s purpose is to troll on the internet. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:26 PM, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I'm playing here but my son reads this forum but doesn't comment. He has a question- Is WET under under the base drum or playing the symbols?

I guess we can laugh at this…

I mean have you seen ANY schools band? Even high schools? Band kids are usually the weirdest group of people you’ll find at any school. 

Btw I wish you weren’t the type to run to mods over things. I’ve got some pretty good responses to this post but it’s not worth getting banned again. 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I mean have you seen ANY schools band? Even high schools? Band kids are usually the weirdest group of people you’ll find at any school. 

Btw I wish you weren’t the type to run to mods over things. I’ve got some pretty good responses to this post but it’s not worth getting banned again. 

Man let me tell you about band kids...  They are great kids in the classroom generally.  However, we are talking about some of the wildest outfits that Marilyn Manson wouldn't wear at his concert.  Make-up that you couldn't find at a circus.  Genders that are so unreal that they literally made the #### up, and the ability to roleplay to it.  Some of the oddest couples, homosexual, triangle dating, and normal dating....  just in a group of 50-60 kids at my high school.

Now, they are also extremely talented.  Several have gone on to play in D1 marching bands etc.  But, they are an odd group.  I have 2 kids in the Aledo middle school bands.  The kids are awkward but so far, mostly normal.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Yes plenty of them including the Aggies. Like I said, I was just kidding.

But, get after your responses I could care less about your thoughts. I mean seriously, you are the one that's wrong on here most of the time. :rofl:

Edited by Sportsfanatic1

49 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Yes plenty of them including the Aggies. Like I said, I was just kidding.

But, get after your responses I could care less about your thoughts. I mean seriously, you are the one that's wrong on here most of the time. :rofl:

If you hadn’t already got me banned for what I thought was a perfectly acceptable exchange of back and forth between two grown men I might believe you. But lessons learned on who has the backbone to joke around and who doesn’t have already been learned the hard way. Sadly I’ll have to keep my mic drops to myself.  

• Mr. P locked this topic