🤘🏻 Texas Longhorns 2023 🤘🏻

Baron

On 1/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, iRockNewbzz said:

So a potential Depth Chart on O could look like:

QB- Ewers/Manning or Manning/Ewers

RB- Brooks/K Robinson/Baxter Jr {Don't know order}

WR- J-Whit, Isiah Neyor, Worthyish (maybe), Savion Red, Johntay Cook, DeAndre Moore potentially

[Insert potential portal transfers also]

TE- J Sanders, {Would be nice to lock up Duce next month}

OL- Banks, Conner, Majors, Hutson, RT?????

On paper it looks pretty decent to me, but I hope we allow to see Baxter get some carries early in the season {not saying he's the best player on roster yet, but his hype certainly is exciting}! Hook'em \m/ \m/

I think you will see the starters as JWhitt, Worthy and Neyor. The rotation will be Red, Cain and Cook

Duce ain't happening after what Brock Bowers did last night.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:55 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I'd like to see a more dynamic game changer at RB ... to me, that's what's lacking ....

The RB room should be deep with Baxter as the lead back. Watch his high school video, he is large and fast with a one cut type of running style.

13 hours ago, Baron said:

The RB room should be deep with Baxter as the lead back. Watch his high school video, he is large and fast with a one cut type of running style.

Baxter is 6'2 215 but runs and cuts like Jamaal Charles. Kid can be really special.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:09 PM, Mr. P said:

I agree. He needs time in the system and game-speed reps.

Peyton only played his freshman season because both QBs ahead of him were injured, and the offense was run-heavy (at the time). Eli didn't start 'til he was a redshirt Soph.

I can't imagine how Arch just beats Ewers out right away. I just don't see it. I've been wrong before, but I just don't see it. 

I'm pretty sure Eli did an interview not too long ago and basically said that Arch will redshirt his freshman year. In fact, he's not taking the NIL money people assume he is.

Those who think Manning is going to start over Ewers just because Ewers didn't win the Heisman this year tells me all I need to know about how much they actually pay attention.

• Thanks 2

On 1/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, Valhalla said:

Texas fans were calling him the best WR coach in the country when he was hired last year. 

Of course he failed on his biggest recruiting job when Jordan Addison went to USC.

I was one of those that was excited bringing him on. I don't hate that he's leaving now, though.

It was apparent that the WR room strongly regressed under his tenure. I think Whittington was the most consistent receiver this year, but he was not utilized nearly enough imo. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'm pretty sure Eli did an interview not too long ago and basically said that Arch will redshirt his freshman year...

Yeah, I trust y'all far more than the yahoos I see on 'Horn Twitter. (Likewise for OU fans, I'm sure. 😉)

56 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Those who think Manning is going to start over Ewers just because Ewers didn't win the Heisman this year tells me all I need to know about how much they actually pay attention.

For sure. Yeah, I know Ewers struggled here and there, but my word: dude hasn't played live action in, what, like two years? He's still a redshirt freshman. Is he even 20 years old yet? Some of your fellow 'Horns are acting like he's Tony Romo failing to bring Dallas to the Super Bowl or something. 

Texas has a lot to work on this offseason, but the QB play is more than adequate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Yeah, I trust y'all far more than the yahoos I see on 'Horn Twitter. (Likewise for OU fans, I'm sure. 😉)

For sure. Yeah, I know Ewers struggled here and there, but my word: dude hasn't played live action in, what, like two years? He's still a redshirt freshman. Is he even 20 years old yet? Some of your fellow 'Horns are acting like he's Tony Romo failing to bring Dallas to the Super Bowl or something. 

Texas has a lot to work on this offseason, but the QB play is more than adequate. 

My favorite thing I see on twitter is Texas fans wanting to bench Quinn, a true freshman who had zero college experience prior to this season, for.... wait for it....

...an incoming freshman with no college experience lol.

I really hate Texas "fans" sometimes😆

• Thanks 1
  • Grumpy 1

Ewers had a good bowl game, he is still young and learning about the college game. I think his Soph year in HS was his last full season, he was injured part of his junior year and was at OSU last year. Only thing I wanted was to put Card in when Ewers struggled against Okie St and someone else to see if it would give the offense a spark. 

5 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas picked up a commitment from their 2024 QB Trey Owens of Cy Fair. 

Don’t know much about him but he was the only Qb offer for Sark and I would assume he’s a guy that will stick around despite Arch being taken in the class ahead of him. 

I’m not sure many QBs that do a little research on Arch are scared to follow him. He’s not that great. 

• LOL! 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:55 PM, Baron said:

I think you will see the starters as JWhitt, Worthy and Neyor. The rotation will be Red, Cain and Cook

Duce ain't happening after what Brock Bowers did last night.

Yeah that's the starters/rotation I would expect. 

Unfortunately I think you're right about Duce

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

I’m not sure many QBs that do a little research on Arch are scared to follow him. He’s not that great. 

Depends on your definition of great for an incoming freshman Qb. 

His body type is great, 6’4 215lbs and well built, probably been on a good eating and weight program for years.

His mechanics are great, his quick release is great, he’s going to be very polished as a passer from day 1.

His arm strength and accuracy are very solid but here is where competition level and speed of the game will start to hinder him until he can catch up.

His persona is going to instill a lot of belief in him by his peers. He’s going to get a ton of respect from his fellow teammates because of who he is and who his Qb coaches are.

Some guys are going to be more anthletic and going to get on the field quicker. Some guys are going to make more dynamic plays. He’s not going to be the type of greats like VY or Tebow or Manziel but if Texas and Sark can keep stacking talent around him, he’ll be plenty great for Texas. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

Based on what?

BTW, I don't see him playing until after Ewers is gone. #1 recruit? Probably not, I personally believe that he's probably the 4th or 5th best player that we brought in this year but I do find it funny that the QB gurus from A&M are so sure that Arch isn't that great when they haven't seen him throw a pass yet.

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Really?!?!

Can you show me how he is other than name? Honest question. He hasn’t competed in camps, he didn’t play in any all star games, he put up just average stats in small classification ball in Louisiana. He lost in the playoffs and in some of his pre district games with embarrassing stat lines. Like 8/23 for 87 yards and 2 ints type stat lines. 

I know he’s got good size. I do believe he’s got a good arm. I do think his pedigree is good. But can you honestly show me a 5 star one of the highest ranked QBs ever? To me he’s just your average high 4 star that we get yearly. It’s not like he’s just the most athletic specimen ever and his stats are not great either. If this kid was named anything but manning he’s probably a mid 4 star based on physical tools and game film. And there’s no shame in that. But why do Texas fans treat him like he’s the second coming? Why when I ask a simple question like prove to me why he’s one of the best ever the argument instantly turns to “aggy doesn’t know you’re just jealous” type childish behavior. I’m asking a simple question. If this kid was committed to any other school with any other last name would you all still feel he’s one of the greatest qb prospects ever?

46 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Can you show me how he is other than name? Honest question. He hasn’t competed in camps, he didn’t play in any all star games, he put up just average stats in small classification ball in Louisiana. He lost in the playoffs and in some of his pre district games with embarrassing stat lines. Like 8/23 for 87 yards and 2 ints type stat lines. 

I know he’s got good size. I do believe he’s got a good arm. I do think his pedigree is good. But can you honestly show me a 5 star one of the highest ranked QBs ever? To me he’s just your average high 4 star that we get yearly. It’s not like he’s just the most athletic specimen ever and his stats are not great either. If this kid was named anything but manning he’s probably a mid 4 star based on physical tools and game film. And there’s no shame in that. But why do Texas fans treat him like he’s the second coming? Why when I ask a simple question like prove to me why he’s one of the best ever the argument instantly turns to “aggy doesn’t know you’re just jealous” type childish behavior. I’m asking a simple question. If this kid was committed to any other school with any other last name would you all still feel he’s one of the greatest qb prospects ever?

1) Manning was the consensus #1 QB in the class by “so called experts”. He chose Texas over Saban’s Alabama and Smart’s Georgia. History has shown that those two have difficulty evaluating talent based on the subpar QB play.

2) I think it is a fair comment on the level of play in high school. I don’t know anything about the school, but suspect his parents selected the school for its academics versus athletic prowess. If they were putting his football future first, they would have moved to Carthage or Westlake. I have heard all along he is being redshirted. I suspect his redshirt year is a development year. When the depth chart comes out in August, I think he will be 3rd string. So don’t read anything into the depth chart.

3) Last question you asked… I would have been bummed if he chose Alabama or Georgia.

4) Time will tell.

5) Not sure the importance of camps when 3 close family members played the position in the NFL.

Edited by bordertown
  • Like 1

I will be shocked if Manning redshirts…….The main reasons to redshirt is an injury that doesn’t allow you to play or not good enough to play  and expected to stay for 5 years……Most 5 star guys are thinking NFL after 3 years of college, not 5 years. 

5 hours ago, WETSU said:

He played with mostly small school talent, and they won.  You claim his stats are weak but then talk about his small school ball.  If the comp is weak what about the rest of his teammates. He played with one good quality player.  So explain how they won the games they did WITH small school talent.  Yea they lost to Many.  To claim that’s an issue shows me you don’t know Louisiana football at all.  Quit worrying about stats.  Hell you’ve argued that stats are useless metrics before.  He has the size, the arm, has demonstrated he understands the game.  His last name is just icing.  If all he ever accomplished at Texas is bringing in top talent to play with a Manning…..I say hallelujah 

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He played with mostly small school talent, and they won.  You claim his stats are weak but then talk about his small school ball.  If the comp is weak what about the rest of his teammates. He played with one good quality player.  So explain how they won the games they did WITH small school talent.  Yea they lost to Many.  To claim that’s an issue shows me you don’t know Louisiana football at all.  Quit worrying about stats.  Hell you’ve argued that stats are useless metrics before.  He has the size, the arm, has demonstrated he understands the game.  His last name is just icing.  If all he ever accomplished at Texas is bringing in top talent to play with a Manning…..I say hallelujah 

I live in Louisiana. I know far more about it than most who talk about Arch and his schedule. 

What I am saying is he is ranked as one of the best ever. When you see him play do you see a guy take over the game like a generational player? Do you watch him against his competition, big or small, and think (this guy is one of the greatest prospects I’ve ever seen? If you do that’s fine. I just don’t. 

11 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Depends on your definition of great for an incoming freshman Qb. 

His body type is great, 6’4 215lbs and well built, probably been on a good eating and weight program for years.

His mechanics are great, his quick release is great, he’s going to be very polished as a passer from day 1.

His arm strength and accuracy are very solid but here is where competition level and speed of the game will start to hinder him until he can catch up.

His persona is going to instill a lot of belief in him by his peers. He’s going to get a ton of respect from his fellow teammates because of who he is and who his Qb coaches are.

Some guys are going to be more anthletic and going to get on the field quicker. Some guys are going to make more dynamic plays. He’s not going to be the type of greats like VY or Tebow or Manziel but if Texas and Sark can keep stacking talent around him, he’ll be plenty great for Texas. 

Same High school competition and he's more athletic than his Uncles. Did the competition level at the New Orleans private school hinder Peyton or Eli? You are greatly underestimating these bloodlines. Arch is going to be great at Texas! Isn't he the #1 or #2 QB in the entire nation? What in the world are you talking about?? 

1. Texas fans did not have anything to do with Arch being the #1 recruit. I hope he is deserving of his ranking and hope Sark did his own research and scouting and got this right.

2. The best ever you are talking about is his ranking number which was something like .987 or something close to that. One of the highest ranked 5 stars at UT. I think this is what most fans are using the term best ever about.Nobody really knows how good he is going to be but the tools are all there, and so is the pedigree. 

3. Everyone is entitled to there opinion so it’s fine if some of you want to say he is an average 4star. History has proven that QBs with the last name Manning have a good track record of being a good competitor and good Qb. I believe most fan bases and programs would take him in a heartbeat.

19 hours ago, bordertown said:

1) Manning was the consensus #1 QB in the class by “so called experts”. He chose Texas over Saban’s Alabama and Smart’s Georgia. History has shown that those two have difficulty evaluating talent based on the subpar QB play.

2) I think it is a fair comment on the level of play in high school. I don’t know anything about the school, but suspect his parents selected the school for its academics versus athletic prowess. If they were putting his football future first, they would have moved to Carthage or Westlake. I have heard all along he is being redshirted. I suspect his redshirt year is a development year. When the depth chart comes out in August, I think he will be 3rd string. So don’t read anything into the depth chart.

3) Last question you asked… I would have been bummed if he chose Alabama or Georgia.

4) Time will tell.

5) Not sure the importance of camps when 3 close family members played the position in the NFL.

The high school he went to is the same school Peyton and Eli went to. Odell Beckham Jr. Also went to Newman. 

All three have won super bowls. 

• Mr. P locked this topic