🤘🏻 Texas Longhorns 2023 🤘🏻

Baron

On 1/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, Red90fly said:

I don't think so.  He's got a good NIL deal and will play more I'm the slot now with a presence on the outside in Mitchell.

Worthy is still a top WR in college football.

The optics at the end of the season weren't good. No adjustment, alligator arms and the trolling of Texas fans with his social media scrubbing of accounts. 

On 1/23/2023 at 9:09 AM, KirtFalcon said:

I'm more worried about the RB situation than the receivers ... not sure there is anyone on board that can pick up where Bijan and Roschon left off ... got to be able to consistently run the ball to make the passing game work  ....

Growth of the OL should take care of rushing the ball. Brooks, Baxter, and Blue should have plenty of talent to exploit the holes opened by the OL. My worry is blocking assignments. Young RB's always have trouble with pass protection.

22 minutes ago, Baron said:

Growth of the OL should take care of rushing the ball. Brooks, Baxter, and Blue should have plenty of talent to exploit the holes opened by the OL. My worry is blocking assignments. Young RB's always have trouble with pass protection.

Keilan Robinson will be a Senior.

Jonathan Brooks will be a 3rd year soph. 

They should be fine. 

59 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Keilan Robinson will be a Senior.

Jonathan Brooks will be a 3rd year soph. 

They should be fine. 

I wish I was as confident as you guys ... I just don't see the talent level at RB anywhere near Bijan and Roschon level  ....  hope I'm wrong .....

12 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I wish I was as confident as you guys ... I just don't see the talent level at RB anywhere near Bijan and Roschon level  ....  hope I'm wrong .....

I don't think anyone is saying they are on the same talent level as Bijan or Roschon, mainly because the RB's outside of Keilan Robinson have very little experience, but I do think that with quality experience Brooks and Baxter can live up to that potential. It will not be immediate, though.

My confidence lies with RB Coach Tashard Choice. He's played the position at the highest level, and has experience coaching the position. He certainly has the athletic talent needed to continue the legacy of Longhorn running backs. My biggest concern, which will always be a concern now with the NIL, is that we lose some really great talent due to lack of snaps. There's only so many snaps in a game, and it will be very difficult to keep everyone happy. It was easier this year at RB because Bijan was considered one of the best in the league, and Roschon earned his role through the year. It's wide open now, and I'm sure all feel they should be the next guy - including the incoming 5* freshman. It's a great problem to have. I just don't want locker room distractions.

3 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

My confidence lies with RB Coach Tashard Choice. He's played the position at the highest level, and has experience coaching the position. He certainly has the athletic talent needed to continue the legacy of Longhorn running backs. My biggest concern, which will always be a concern now with the NIL, is that we lose some really great talent due to lack of snaps. There's only so many snaps in a game, and it will be very difficult to keep everyone happy. It was easier this year at RB because Bijan was considered one of the best in the league, and Roschon earned his role through the year. It's wide open now, and I'm sure all feel they should be the next guy - including the incoming 5* freshman. It's a great problem to have. I just don't want locker room distractions.

If the defense develops quality depth, the offense can speed up the process and get 8-12 extra snaps a game - which means other than 2 or 3 games, three RBs could all get a lot of touches(including passes).  

On 1/25/2023 at 10:10 AM, Lhornfan said:

I agree with almost everything you said. I can't help but think that in todays roster and portal scenario if you have an accomplished upper classman, a talented 2nd who is looking to make his name will go to the portal because of NIL and the freshman or recruit moves to the #2 spot. Rinse and repeat.

On 1/25/2023 at 10:10 AM, Lhornfan said:

My confidence lies with RB Coach Tashard Choice. He's played the position at the highest level, and has experience coaching the position. 

Choice has Texas in a good spot with the #1 RB in the 24' class out of Florida.  Just visited last weekend.  

12 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Choice has Texas in a good spot with the #1 RB in the 24' class out of Florida.  Just visited last weekend.  

I figure Gibson is going to Alabama. Texas is in it for Peoples and Tatum.

32 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas schedule for the upcoming season. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be. No Cincy, UCF, West Virginia, Oklahoma St. 

Rice

@ Alabama 

Wyoming

@Baylor 

Kansas 

Oklahoma 

BYE

@Houston 

BYU 

Kansas St 

@TCU 

@Iowa St 

Texas Tech

Will be weird not having Ok State. I was hoping for a revenge game before leaving the conference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

17FB3742-306A-4CE1-B64C-A4DDBC421748.jpeg

Bummer.  I was looking forward to going to Morgantown for an away game.  I have always enjoyed traveling up there.  The scenery is spectacular driving up there.  Met some WVU alumni up there a few years ago and we still keep in touch and tailgate together at each respective home game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

There is a lot of hype for Texas right now. There is always hype but seems like more are expecting Texas to win the Big12 and contend for a playoff spot. 

10 starters back on offense and year three of Kwiatkowski's defense.  Defense showed a lot of improvement in year two and hoping another step is taken in year three.  

I think the defense needs to have a third LB emerge, a DT (maybe one of the RS Freshmen?) and Tapp/Burke to take a step up at EDGE.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 6:26 PM, Hookemhorns88 said:

Bummer.  I was looking forward to going to Morgantown for an away game.  I have always enjoyed traveling up there.  The scenery is spectacular driving up there.  Met some WVU alumni up there a few years ago and we still keep in touch and tailgate together at each respective home game.

some of the best white water rafting in the nation in WV too.

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

10 starters back on offense and year three of Kwiatkowski's defense.  Defense showed a lot of improvement in year two and hoping another step is taken in year three.  

I think the defense needs to have a third LB emerge, a DT (maybe one of the RS Freshmen?) and Tapp/Burke to take a step up at EDGE.

I’m hoping the offense takes a big jump this year in the passing game. 

I think the secondary for the defense will be really good and even better if one of those young edge guys you mentioned can add another pass rusher to help Sorrell. 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So wait. Is there no north and south?

They're gonna have the best 2 records play for the title and they don't all play the same teams/schedule? 

I haven't really heard how the 2 teams will be decided, but I'd imagine it'll be the 2 best conference records. 

As for the divisions, I wonder if they're waiting until after Texas and OU leave the conference before doing anything with that. 

• Mr. P locked this topic