🤘🏻 Texas Longhorns 2023 🤘🏻

Baron

On 12/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, bordertown said:

Or should not close. I think the issue is enrolling for the upcoming semester/quarter.

My understanding is that if have to enter the portal during the window but can commit at any time there after.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, Red90fly said:

Lost in the shuffle over the last two days is Texad added its third commit to the 25' class in a 4* DT out of Florida.  

Three commits and all from the deep south SEC territory. 😎

On 12/27/2023 at 4:46 PM, Red90fly said:

The QB commit for the 25' class has some smoke around him about an Auburn flip.  If a QB wants to leave a commitment from Sark to go to Freese, then I guess whatever.

This is what I don't like about extremely early commits. They seem more likely to decommit than those who do it within the cycle.

Name being mentioned as the new LB Coach is Johnny Nansen, current DC at Arizona.  Seems a little hard to believe a current P5 DC would come be a LB coach (probably would have the Co-DC title).  But he has worked with Sark in the past a good bit, and IT said his daughter is currently a freshman student at Texas and is a student assistant for football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Name being mentioned as the new LB Coach is Johnny Nansen, current DC at Arizona.  Seems a little hard to believe a current P5 DC would come be a LB coach (probably would have the Co-DC title).  But he has worked with Sark in the past a good bit, and IT said his daughter is currently a freshman student at Texas and is a student assistant for football.

The move may be a pay raise. That's the only reason I can think of.

• Like 2

Superdome pretty much a dump.  Had to use outside toilets as lines so long.  Also seats on lower level were terrible.  Couldn’t see over people.  We were few rows behind player families and line of sight was not good.  Can’t imagine selling tickets to saints games in that place.  

The difference in QB play was shocking. Penix made Ewers look like a JV QB. What an absolute stud. I thought the DB’s actually had pretty good coverage but Penix was absolutely dropping dimes on the long balls. One of the best bowl performances I have seen and I’m old. LOL. Texas had a hell of a Season and Sark proved to me and others were wrong about him.  They beat the SEC champion this Season and the future is very bright. Can’t wait for the spanking they will give to the Aggies this upcoming Season and look forward to another strong season and playoff appearance!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

The difference in QB play was shocking. Penix made Ewers look like a JV QB. What an absolute stud. I thought the DB’s actually had pretty good coverage but Penix was absolutely dropping dimes on the long balls. One of the best bowl performances I have seen and I’m old. LOL. Texas had a hell of a Season and Sark proved to me and others were wrong about him.  They beat the SEC champion this Season and the future is very bright. Can’t wait for the spanking they will give to the Aggies this upcoming Season and look forward to another strong season and playoff appearance!!!

Well Penix has been in college for 6 years so Quinn is kind of like a jv QB to him. 😂

• LOL! 1

11 hours ago, eagle34 said:

The difference in QB play was shocking. Penix made Ewers look like a JV QB. What an absolute stud. 

To be fair, Penix did that to pretty much every college QB this year. I don't understand how or why anyone drafts any QB ahead of him, dude's got the goods. He's as fully developed a college QB as I've seen since Burrow. 

57 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

To be fair, Penix did that to pretty much every college QB this year. I don't understand how or why anyone drafts any QB ahead of him, dude's got the goods. He's as fully developed a college QB as I've seen since Burrow. 

I would certainly hope so after 6 years. LOL

I think Penix is a great QB, don't get me wrong. But if I'm an NFL GM, that IS one thing I have to consider with some of these QB's. 

Penix - 6 years

Nix - 6 years

Gabriel - going into year 6

Alan Bowman - Going into year 7

I understand they didn't all 'play' the full season every year (except Nix), but when most players now don't spend but 3 years before going to the draft, and you've been there for 6!, you better be able to outplay them.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I would certainly hope so after 6 years. LOL

Jayden Daniels has been a starting collegiate QB since 2019. For all intents and purposes he's just as much an "old man" as Penix (who redshirted in 2018). Moreover, I don't recall Daniels being on any Heisman or NFL prospect lists until breaking through this year.

But it's an interesting topic, and one that I had with friends and family during the break: should more of these superstar college QBs bide their time before trying to make the jump? 

For some, nah, I get it. You gotta get while the getting's good. Your stock may never be higher. These guys are the exception. 

But others (the majority, I would argue) would be wise to study the career trajectory of dudes like Penix and Daniels. There's something to be said for growing and maturing in the game. The fastest path isn't always the best.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Some NFL teams will not have him on their draft board because of his big list of past injuries…….not saying those teams are smart or not, just stating facts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Because he is the same age as Trevor Lawrence who had already played in the NFL for 3 years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I posted maybe in the other thread, but several times in the game the Texas DB was right on the Washington WR's and Penix just put it perfectly where only the WR could catch.  Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.  Like you said, it was Burrow esque

Texas lost by a total of 10 points in both losses this year.  4/5 of the OL will return, stacked RB room.  Finding a starting 3 WR will be what to watch in the spring.  Plus TE.

Defensively lose the two studs at DT amd Ford.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1