🔮 TRANSFER PORTAL 🔮

Red90fly

• 5 months later...

4310B7D3-733A-48FA-AF8D-761098DA1064.jpeg

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-illinois-luke-ford-ncaa-transfer-appeal-20190607-story.html

Can we just call the NCAA Transfer Portal what it really is, QB free agency? You have non skill position players being denied waivers due to mileage, familial bonds not being close enough or health situations not being dire enough but Justin Fields can transfer over 500 miles from Georgia to Ohio State and be granted immediate eligibility? Bull!! The players, the coaches, the schools need to wise up and say to hell with the NCAA. 

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Has anyone looked at the history of that? Hint: one team has won 7 of the last 8 titles. Let’s replace “North Dakota State” with “Alabama”, “Clemson”, “Ohio State” or “Oklahoma” and see how many people break out in the warm fuzzies.

The other argument is that we need to give the teams from the G-5 conferences a fair shot. Ok, so you put them in and seed them favorably against a P-5 at-large team. What happens when a unbeaten SunBelt champ gets taken to the woodshed by the second place team out of the Big10? The argument that they didn’t belong there just got validation. Again, the rich get richer. Occasionally, you will get the December equivalent of a “March Madness Bracket Buster” but those will be few and far between, and pretty soon, the enthusiasm over those teams “getting in” will fade as the supporters of the idea grow tired of the blowouts.

My whole point is this: under the current system, the regular season is virtually 14 weeks of must-see TV, because all the games mean something.

First, more difficult to build a dynasty program in FBS because more teams are collecting up the big time talent. FCS, you have literally 4 or 5 schools snagging some top talent and when you add a talented coaching staff in with that better talent you get the dynasty. It does definitely work to those teams advantage too that the playoffs play at their home field "Fargo Dome" and the like. Loud, 10 feet of snow outside, etc to throw off the southern teams coming in trying to knock them off. There's a reason that they aren't having the FBS Championship game played at Michigan State Stadium, Washington Husky Stadium, Iowa Stadium, etc...they want near perfect weather...nothing inclement at all as to produce the near perfect result (same with Super Bowls now).

People would love the every couple two to three years when a "bracket buster" would storm through the football tournament...just like with basketball. Those are the years people are really freakin' out about the tournament. There would be quit a few teams that dropped a couple early because of injuries, upsets or whatever that locked it in after about the first 4 weeks and stormed to a title. Some truly scary teams, like last years Horns. Clearly they had talent on offense and had a stout defense...SEC fans mouthed and mouthed that Georgia would motorboat Texas...only to get manhandled. They would have been seeded lower and yet I doubt many teams would have enjoyed playing the split personality Horns. Upsets bring excitement.

Third, if more teams made a true playoff...more games would mean something! More teams would have a shot and so it would keep fans (and players on those teams) locked in, because they still could get a bid. Now if you lose a game in week 2, you have people checking out because it's "oh well, our season is over"...who cares about the Bluebonnet or Sun Bowl...unless you're one of the 2-3 SEC teams that despite losses even in the last couple weeks, miraculously are NEVER eliminated. 

The extra practices help...sure, but winning & having a championship opportunity nearly every year is what continues to draw in those big numbers of 4* and 5* players and would give them even more if they upped scholarship numbers. It's different from the college sport I coached, but when certain universities pressed me to recruit more players in (have a larger roster), etc...I could see it sometimes and in some places (I understood they wanted more students), but as I aged and got experience dealing with schools and my rosters...I pushed back saying that once you get to a "tipping point" on your roster where players have no chance to start or get significant playing time (and see that writing on the wall)...then those extra become a cancer to your team environment. Just like those teams of mine, where $$ can be scarce at times...you can't take all those extra players on the road for your cross country trips. There are D1 teams now that aren't rolling in dough and I guarantee the coaches say something along the lines of "we can only carry 70 this week" because of the space on the plane or whatever. The disappointment and disillusionment is what's led to so many in the transfer portal. They think about interest that other schools showed during their recruitment and they think they'll be more appreciated elsewhere...it's never the work ethic, time management skills, substance issues, or girl issues so many players have once away from mom, dad, grandma, whoever.

It happens at all levels and all sports.

Just my 2 cents...

• 1 year later...

You guys are a lot more positive about it than I am. All I see in the future is top high school seniors opting out of their senior years to get paid. They may not get a million bucks, but it won't take much to pull them from the weekly grind. I'm just glad I'm not a big basketball fan because that sport is going to be totally ruined IMO. Play for travel team, opt out your senior year to get paid to attend a certain university. Play one year at that school and go pro or transfer to the highest bidder. At least in football and baseball, the player has to stay for 3 years prior to going pro.

I also think there should be a limit on the NIL $ received in order to be able to enter the transfer portal. In a few years, college sports (especially basketball) is basically going to be a free agent market every year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I haven't followed all of this NIL stuff that closely for multiple reasons.  One reason is that I have a hard time about offering a large amount of money to kids which have largely yet to prove themselves in their chosen field of work.  The cost of supporting these deals will ultimately fall back on us fans (consumers).  Should they receive a "salary"?  Sure, but it should be a flat consistent rate across the board.  The whole issue of collegiate athletes getting paid has been around forever.  In fact, recently on TCM, there was a movie about it.

Saturday's Hero was released in 1937 starring Van Heflin with Marian Marsh.

Heflin is a college football star that is scalping his tickets to get by because it is hard to make ends meet as a collegiate athlete.  He is caught doing this and loses his position on the team.  He confronts the college president about this because the schools, collectively, are making $40 million per year on football and the athletes are getting "nothing" for the money that they are bringing in for the schools.  Sound familiar?

The movie was a fun watch despite the plot gaps and the unbelievability of some of it which was typical of the day.  Plus it was enjoyable watching old football clips.

College athletes nowadays can basically make money off of endorsements without being contractually obligated to a team/school (i.e transfer portal). 

It's literally a Gen Z kids dream. You don't really have to commit, because if you don't like being somewhere you can transfer, while at the same time making millions of dollars simply because you have X amount of social media followers.

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Fully expected this, but not until the summer. Wonder if Jimbo still takes it slow getting king back or if he uses this game for experience. 

my money says A&M starts the walk-on with king in an emergency capacity. 

The way Jimbo’s talked about King, I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Bost.

I love this though. I DO NOT want Calzada starting in 2022. I know some thought he did fine and it was on receivers a lot but I just do not think he’s the guy moving forward. I was concerned Jimbo might value his experience and give him the nod and I’m glad that will not be an option now. 

Going to be a hell of a battle with King and Weigman through the spring and summer. 

• Like 1

A&M needs someone that will stand back there and throw darts to some elite WRs then run when its not there.  I feel like King gave you a lot more of that than Calzada, but I think the ability to make smart runs by the QB is the key to getting over the Alabama and LSU humps in the SEC.

11 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I love this though. I DO NOT want Calzada starting in 2022. I know some thought he did fine and it was on receivers a lot but I just do not think he’s the guy moving forward. I was concerned Jimbo might value his experience and give him the nod and I’m glad that will not be an option now. 

Going to be a hell of a battle with King and Weigman through the spring and summer. 

It should be a fun battle. King seems like the QB we’ve been wanting in Aggieland for awhile. Smart. Athletic. Gamer. Weigman is the young gunslinger. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LOL said:

King's long-term recovery is too important to waste on a bowl game. Believe me, I would love for him to play, but there's no reason to rush him into action. Playoffs? Maybe. But not a regular bowl game. 

It’s less about the game and more about his reps. The reps would be huge heading into the spring. But I agree with you he doesn’t need to rush back and I hope he sits. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

A&M needs someone that will stand back there and throw darts to some elite WRs then run when its not there.  I feel like King gave you a lot more of that than Calzada, but I think the ability to make smart runs by the QB is the key to getting over the Alabama and LSU humps in the SEC.

To me a QB that has the pocket presence to know when to take that scramble and get down without getting hit is more valuable than any form of arm strength or speed. A 4.7 guy that can grab 5-8 yards consistently instead of throwing into cover or taking a sack is deadly. King is that and some. 

Weigman has the tools to be something special. He’s got more arm than King and is a more elusive runner. Physically he’s the better prospect but I thing King has a little moxy about him. 

42 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

The Incarnate Word Qb is in the portal Cam Ward 

Going to be interesting to see where he ends up

Dude is a baller...Hard to find an in-state landing spot for him. Maybe Tech, but I feel like he will get plenty of offers...

UT - Card/Thompson
A&M - King/Weigman
Tech - ?
Baylor - Bohanon/Shapen
Houston - Tune
SMU- Mordecai
UTSA - Harris