⭐ Official 2023 Bowl Thread ⭐

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Why’d Texas accept the invite to a meaningless bowl?

That’s an easy one. It gives them 20 extra hours per week leading up to the game. Coaches typically refer to 15 extra practices, but the NCAA rule is actually hours per week with a max of 4 hours per day. Those practices are huge!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

That’s an easy one. It gives them 20 extra hours per week leading up to the game. Coaches typically refer to 15 extra practices, but the NCAA rule is actually hours per week with a max of 4 hours per day. Those practices are huge!

But they’re subjecting their players to injury for a meaningless game?

• SMH 1

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

There’s also the bowl game swag. Up to $550 for 125 participants as well as new bowl game clothing and shoes. NCAA also allows an extra $400 from the school and $400 from the conference. Other perks would be field trips for the team. Not sure what Texas did in SA, but there’s always fun team things going on as well as charity opportunities. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

But they’re subjecting their players to injury for a meaningless game?

Are you really that simple minded? There’s not much contact in post season practices. Practice rules are usually no going low and quick whistles. Blocking stops at first contact as well. Stop embarrassing yourself trying to make a moot point. You and others feel the players quit on their team while others understand the players sitting out. 

• Like 1

Do you really need it explained to you what we mean when we call it 'meaningless'? 

Yes, there is benefit to playing a bowl game...extra practices, younger players getting playing time, extra revenue, etc. But winning the Alamo Bowl, Cheez it Bowl, or even the Bourbon Bowl doesn't carry any clout. It's not a playoff game. It's not a championship. 

6 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Are you really that simple minded? There’s not much contact in post season practices. Practice rules are usually no going low and quick whistles. Blocking stops at first contact as well. Stop embarrassing yourself trying to make a moot point. You and others feel the players quit on their team while others understand the players sitting out. 

I’m talking about the bowl game.  His qb could break his neck or leg and be gimped for life.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Do you really need it explained to you what we mean when we call it 'meaningless'? 

Yes, there is benefit to playing a bowl game...extra practices, younger players getting playing time, extra revenue, etc. But winning the Alamo Bowl, Cheez it Bowl, or even the Bourbon Bowl doesn't carry any clout. It's not a playoff game. It's not a championship. 

So it’s meaningless?

36 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Just because the game is “meaningless” to players entering the NFL draft, it is not meaningless to those participating in the bowl games. As mentioned previously, the coaches and players get extra practices. My understanding, early practices were more like the summer practices and not game planning for the Washington. If you are a true freshman, this is very important to your development and impressing coaches. Then there is the almighty $. The Alamo Bowl was the second highest bowl payout ($8,250,000) behind TCU’s game. I am not well versed in the current Big 12 bowl payout arrangement, but in the past participating teams got an extra share. As a fan unless it is for a national championship, it is meaningless as to whether we win or lose. But it is another opportunity to watch my team in hopes of a win.

• Like 1

Just now, bordertown said:

Just because the game is “meaningless” to players entering the NFL draft, it is not meaningless to those participating in the bowl games. As mentioned previously, the coaches and players get extra practices. My understanding, early practices were more like the summer practices and not game planning for the Washington. If you are a true freshman, this is very important to your development and impressing coaches. Then there is the almighty $. The Alamo Bowl was the second highest bowl payout ($8,250,000) behind TCU’s game. I am not well versed in the current Big 12 bowl payout arrangement, but in the past participating teams got an extra share. As a fan unless it is for a national championship, it is meaningless as to whether we win or lose. But it is another opportunity to watch my team in hopes of a win.

Fully understand it.  But the players wanted to be compensated.  Now they are.  Shouldn’t they be obligated since they signed contracts to play/advertise for money?  What about those business decisions. We’re they meaningless.  I think we will see changes in the NIL very soon.  To me, the bowl against a team you might not play every 30 years is more meaningful than a season opener against UTEP or ULM.  Those are meaningless.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Fully understand it.  But the players wanted to be compensated.  Now they are.  Shouldn’t they be obligated since they signed contracts to play/advertise for money?  What about those business decisions. We’re they meaningless.  I think we will see changes in the NIL very soon.  To me, the bowl against a team you might not play every 30 years is more meaningful than a season opener against UTEP or ULM.  Those are meaningless.  

I never heard the three opting out was because they wanted additional compensation. You think Robinson’s value to Raising Cane’s was diminished more by opting out of the game or having his knee blown out playing. As to the early season games, I couldn’t disagree more. Ask A&M is their loss to Appalachian State was meaningless.

2 minutes ago, bordertown said:

I never heard the three opting out was because they wanted additional compensation. You think Robinson’s value to Raising Cane’s was diminished more by opting out of the game or having his knee blown out playing. As to the early season games, I couldn’t disagree more. Ask A&M is their loss to Appalachian State was meaningless.

Who said they wanted additional compensation?  They were already compensated and sat out.  Shouldn’t they give a portion back?  Raising Cain’s deal was for college games.  

those early season games are lose lose type games.  You win you were supposed to.  You lose, well….  They should be looked at as scrimmages.  

Any time a major university like Texas is playing on national tv it's not a meaningless game ... these games have all kinds of recruiting ramifications as well as influencing pollsters ... people saying these games are meaningless are full of it ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

I agree with almost everything you said except the second to last sentence. As a fan I want my team to win every game they play, ergo no game is meaningless, at least in my book.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Pitt beats UCLA 35 to 34 on a last second FG in the Sun Bowl.....

Notre Dame beats South Carolina 45 to 38 in the Gator Bowl......

From what I gather the ending of the Sun Bowl was pretty wild.