🐺 Longview Lobos football 2023

Lion7000

49 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ooohhh I misunderstood.

Yeah we were super conservative calling plays. I’d like to think it was due to the rain but you’re not wrong- Starting about the time of Lancaster game, things went super conservative and never turned around. We know Vallery missed a game or two right? Did he miss more than we thought? Cause at times it did feel like different people calling plays. 

Regarding handing to a sophomore, what is the extent of injury to AJ/Tatum? 

Vallery did miss some time, health issues.

Handing off the ball to Boosie in that situation was bizarre. He will be a stud but there is a time for everything...

Reminded me of 2005 when we handed off to not Vondrell, not Ivory....but a sophomore Mark Johnson in a key moment late during that South Garland game.

Luckily though, Longview's backfield will be beyond loaded next season. Tatum, Johnson, both Washington boys, Bolden, Lee....

I'm actually intrigued to see who all remains at their positions in the backfield. That's how loaded it'll be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ooohhh I misunderstood.

Yeah we were super conservative calling plays. I’d like to think it was due to the rain but you’re not wrong- Starting about the time of Lancaster game, things went super conservative and never turned around. We know Vallery missed a game or two right? Did he miss more than we thought? Cause at times it did feel like different people calling plays. 

Regarding handing to a sophomore, what is the extent of injury to AJ/Tatum? 

I wouldn’t call Hales first TD a bomb, it was more like a deep out thrown into double coverage.  The QB trusted him and he went up and got it.  Helluva play.  

I would love to see Longview implement slip screens, some air raid route concepts, etc…. To get their guys in better space.  

Don’t Change anything in the defensive side of the ball though!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I wouldn’t call Hales first TD a bomb, it was more like a deep out thrown into double coverage.  The QB trusted him and he went up and got it.  Helluva play.  

I would love to see Longview implement slip screens, some air raid route concepts, etc…. To get their guys in better space.  

Don’t Change anything in the defensive side of the ball though!!!!

All Longview needs is to get all of their talent involved next year

On 12/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, ANTI said:

Yes.

BTW, I know you're looking forward to seeing the freshmen next year.

Kaidon Graves...🔥🔥

Yes! But he tore his whole hamstring off his leg and missed entire football season. I just wonder if injury like that will hamper him rest of his career. If he is fully all go...woooweee man. Crazy a player that damn talented with the ball in his hands might not see the field until his senior season

On 12/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, ANTI said:

Yeah.

And yes, there's a QB in that class too. 

Boy is there!!

21 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Yes! But he tore his whole hamstring off his leg and missed entire football season. I just wonder if injury like that will hamper him rest of his career. If he is fully all go...woooweee man. Crazy a player that damn talented with the ball in his hands might not see the field until his senior season

Sounds like an avulsion fracture, happened to my son summer before his freshmen year. Hamstring didn’t tear. The growth plate where it attaches to the pelvis broke loose, about the size of a quarter. They repaired it by reattaching it with screws, longer rehab but he recovered well. His ortho said it’s a rare injury but happening more frequently in kids 14-16 due to bone maturation not keeping up with strength/muscle growth or overuse. 

It’s also similar injury Tyron Smith just came back from accept his tore loose from the knee vs the pelvis.

Edited by dfwfootballfan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

RB position crazy loaded.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ToddG said:

Aledo QB will be on fire next season, especially with Finley at WR..that kid will be a monster just like his dad was..if Longview gets past Lancaster next season, maybe the Lobos will get another shot at the Bearcats. 

It'll come down to Longview-Aledo again. Both return a lot.

But yeah, Aledo is loaded at every position. Keys was probably the best LB I've seen us (LV) play in over a decade....and we have seen some great ones including recently, Anthony Hill (multiple times).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ToddG said:

Longview’s history is rich, and deserves great respect, despite the lack of a lot of championships..next season they will have to fight off Lancaster, possibly 2 meetings, and Timberview will be there as well..and after that, be staring an Aledo team on a roll, right in the face. It’s never easy, not even for teams like Aledo, Katy etc. gonna be a long 8 months to find all this out!!

No doubt that Aledo, Longview, Timberview and Lancaster will open up as top 4 in 5A DI.

In that order.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 9:36 AM, bansheefan03 said:

I'm sure this has already been said but longview needs a new offensive identity they when alot of games now just cause there guys most time across the board are better but when they line up against a team that can match them or may actually be better there current offense turns into a liability. There is a reason that offense isn't ran that much anymore

I don't have a problem with the offense at all. I haven't seen another ETX program that runs the amount of formations we do...and it has won Longview a 6A title. Playbook is fine. It'd be perfect with a little more underneath to intermediate route concepts.

Now, playcalling and personnel utilization is another topic in itself...there's a difference.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ToddG said:

Longview’s history is rich, and deserves great respect, despite the lack of a lot of championships..next season they will have to fight off Lancaster, possibly 2 meetings, and Timberview will be there as well..and after that, be staring an Aledo team on a roll, right in the face. It’s never easy, not even for teams like Aledo, Katy etc. gonna be a long 8 months to find all this out!!

You literally just done saying it would be easy lol

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

Random question. LV ended up playing both of these teams so yall would be the best to answer it. Which O-line had more size, '15 Lake Ridge or '22 Timberview? Physically these are some of the biggest in 5A I can remember.  

'22 Timberview legit looked and performed like a SEC OL.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

Random question. LV ended up playing both of these teams so yall would be the best to answer it. Which O-line had more size, '15 Lake Ridge or '22 Timberview? Physically these are some of the biggest in 5A I can remember.  

'22 Timberview, by far. That was the biggest high school line I've ever seen in my life.

Agreed with Anti. That was a D1 offensive line across the board, in high school.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

'22 Timberview, by far. That was the biggest high school line I've ever seen in my life.

Agreed with Anti. That was a D1 offensive line across the board, in high school.

Guyer '08 and Katy '97 OLine was pretty damn big also

Tackle to tackle, Timberview went....

6'6 345 (D1, Texas commit)

6'3 325 (D1, Adidas All American)

6'1 315

6'0 305 (D2)

6'6 310 (D1, Texas State commit)

They weren't just big in stature, these boys were big 5A/6A talented. They also had the length in conjunction with mass. Thank goodness 3 of them were seniors.

It's an easy answer for me.

By the way, Timberview's DL was well fed too. They'll have a 6'3 315 pound monster returning to the middle of it this fall.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ANTI said:

Tackle to tackle, Timberview went....

6'6 345 (D1, Texas commit)

6'3 325 (D1, Adidas All American)

6'1 315

6'0 305 (D2)

6'6 310 (D1, Texas State commit)

They weren't just big in stature, these boys were big 5A/6A talented. They also had the length in conjunction with mass. Thank goodness 3 of them were seniors.

It's an easy answer for me.

By the way, Timberview's DL was well fed too. They'll have a 6'3 315 pound monster returning to the middle of it this fall.

Timberview has been on a nice little run lately. 4th round this year and made it to the 3rd round the two years before that. Knocked out Ennis twice, once when they were #1 in 5AD2.