Rockwall-Heath HC Placed On Administrative Leave

Stoney

One of the Mom's who is a doctor was just on the Ticket, her son was hospitalized from Monday-Sunday.....she also mentioned her son who had a broken hand wasn't cleared for upper body workouts yet and was doing pushups....my question is was the AT aware of this and was that communicated to the coaches?? CPS is also involved now....I dont see the head coach surviving this honestly....

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

7 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

One of the Mom's who is a doctor was just on the Ticket, her son was hospitalized from Monday-Sunday.....she also mentioned her son who had a broken hand wasn't cleared for upper body workouts yet and was doing pushups....my question is was the AT aware of this and was that communicated to the coaches?? CPS is also involved now....I dont see the head coach surviving this honestly....

Nor should he. At the end of the day safety trumps all. 

4 hours ago, MattStepp said:

She said that they did 23 sets of 16 pushups (total 368) in an hour. If one person messed up, they had to start over. Her son was one that fell due to the broken hand & made the whole group start over again. 

On 1/16/2023 at 8:35 AM, JBizzle said:

Man, how did we not die back in the day!

Because back in the day they gave us "salt pills"......that must have saved us all, or that long hose with PVC at the end with holes in it. I do know a lot of my high school friends now have high blood pressure.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Because back in the day they gave us "salt pills"......that must have saved us all, or that long hose with PVC at the end with holes in it. I do know a lot of my high school friends now have high blood pressure.....

Also, many of us spent a considerable amount of our own spare time outside. Thus, when it came time for two-a-days, the adjustment was not quite as drastic.

Whether you were a country boy doing chores or a suburban kid running around town, you were out in the heat more often than not. Hell, I can remember some of the rednecks I grew up with actually looked forward to summer practice, because it was a relief from their usual day-to-day existence. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:15 PM, TrumpisDump said:

Sounds bogus... never heard of hospitalization for push ups and dark urine. 

I know you guys don't have any sort of training in medicine for the most part, but several causes of dark urine:
1) Dehydration
2) Liver and Kidney Failure
and 3) Extreme exercise (mostly lactic acid and ketone build up)

None of those are good.

Now for the push-ups:

Push-ups themselves are not bad.  You are basically bench pressing your upper body weight and using your core for the other.  However, there is such thing as overworking a muscle to the point of endangering someone.  
When you do a lift, you are actually breaking down the muscle and the tissue with strenuous exercises with the goal of the muscles adapting and coming back stronger and bigger.  This is why we practice when lifting, 1 day upper body, 1 day lower, 1 day core and alternate those constantly.  Working the same tissue day after day does not give it time to heal or come back with the desired results actually making them weaker and more prone to injury.

So in this case, imagine working it to the point of exhaustion then continuing to work it to the point where the tissue is literally causing the body to attack it.  This leads to illness and other other organ failures that is beyond irresponsibility for a coach.

When I was at Marshall Jr. High, Coach Lloyd (Harleton guys know him), was the Jr High FB coach for 7th and 8th grade.  There were days where we only did push-ups and sit-ups.  However, it was 50 push-ups, then 100 sit ups, rest, then repeat.  Over an hour, this is an okay workout.  You will be sore.  Kids will hurt, but unless they have some sort of kidney or liver problem, those kids are and were fine.  The crap this Rockwall coach did is incredibly stupid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Also, many of us spent a considerable amount of our own spare time outside. Thus, when it came time for two-a-days, the adjustment was not quite as drastic.

Whether you were a country boy doing chores or a suburban kid running around town, you were out in the heat more often than not. Hell, I can remember some of the rednecks I grew up with actually looked forward to summer practice, because it was a relief from their usual day-to-day existence. 

Being outside was all I was allowed to do. Before working age--mom got me up at 8:30, breakfast, sent outside not to come home until dark--ate lunch on the back porch where she put out the food. You had to beat the birds and dogs to the food....but that was summer only....

And like you said, once I started working--football practice was a relief from stocking at the brookshire bros and hauling hay when I was not at the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Being outside was all I was allowed to do. Before working age--mom got me up at 8:30, breakfast, sent outside not to come home until dark--ate lunch on the back porch where she put out the food. You had to beat the birds and dogs to the food....but that was summer only....

And like you said, once I started working--football practice was a relief from stocking at the brookshire bros and hauling hay when I was not at the store. 

When I was a kid, all I wanted was a Nintendo.  I finally got one.  I played 2 hours one time and my mom was so pissed that she literally threw me out of the house and made me play outdoors in our woods for about 6 hours before feeding me dinner.  During those 6 hours, I built a fort out of limbs, dug a mote around it, and made some traps to "catch dinner."  My wife laughs when I tell her that I had a 6 pack until college...  I just tell her that I started making more money and invested in a keg.

• Love 1
  • LOL! 1