Spread Question vs Ground and Pound

JGlass

In your opinion is there a cutoff somewhere to when a spread offense would not be the best to install at a certain school due to numbers?

OR is it simply a philosophy thing, a coach's ability thing, or a current personnel thing?

For example, is a 2A school (in general) too small in numbers of skilled athletes to run the spread consistently good. I know there's always an exception to the rule (a small school has a great QB, or an deep class) but overall is there a cutoff to where a run oriented offense is definitely the better choice?

We (DeKalb) are small school 3A and I don't see it being our better option, but Daingerfield may be the exception to the rule because of the number of skilled athletes for a small school 3A. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JGlass said:

In your opinion is there a cutoff somewhere to when a spread offense would not be the best to install at a certain school due to numbers?

OR is it simply a philosophy thing, a coach's ability thing, or a current personnel thing?

For example, is a 2A school (in general) too small in numbers of skilled athletes to run the spread consistently good. I know there's always an exception to the rule (a small school has a great QB, or an deep class) but overall is there a cutoff to where a run oriented offense is definitely the better choice?

We (DeKalb) are small school 3A and I don't see it being our better option, but Daingerfield may be the exception to the rule because of the number of skilled athletes for a small school 3A. 

Thoughts?

I don’t think it’s a numbers related thing. Canadian is small, but has ran the spread pretty good. Same with Mart and Refugio. 

katy is huge, and they run the I and power I very well. I think it comes down to coaching and personnel.

• Like 1

Gotcha. I know Canadian snaps the ball as soon as it's spotted. Didn't realize Refugio was a spread team.

Is personnel usually limited in some small communities and that's why they run power running offenses of some sort?

I just can't see not having enough skill kids at a 4A or higher to not run spread unless you just don't want to or don't have the coaches who can. 

46 minutes ago, JGlass said:

Thoughts?

The spread concept is predicated on having a talented passer, at least one reliable run threat (often it's a mobile QB in lieu of an RB), and at least one receiver with adequate speed to provide a deep threat. You can get by with mediocre talent in the other positions, provided you coach them up. But you need at least those three main points. 

Most small schools have a limited number of talented guys. Your average 2A program generally has a couple of speedy guys, a couple big guys, and one or two above-average talents who usually gravitate toward being QB (since the position requires multi-faceted skills). Thus, you'll see some 2A programs do fairly well in the regular season running spread concepts. 

That said, most of the time the teams that make deep runs into the playoffs and/or win multiple state titles are those teams that have either 1.) developed a deep K-12 athletics culture with strong consistent coaching and intense community buy-in, or 2.) are the beneficiary of a generational player who is surrounded by above-average talent.

Now, if you're a program like #1, you probably run a complex and specific assignment system that your players have been perfecting since grade school. But if you're a program like #2 you can throw just about any system you want in there, so long as your superstar gets plenty of touches.

2 hours ago, JGlass said:

Thoughts?

just my opinion, but yall would have been deadly this year running the spread. I hear yall are going to switch to it this next season. 

16 minutes ago, Cannon85 said:

just my opinion, but yall would have been deadly this year running the spread. I hear yall are going to switch to it this next season. 

That can be said about a lot of teams , but, at the same time the opposite can be said about a lot of spread teams . I watched a team some this year that went from the motion wing t to a variation of the pistol- spread and did not turn out too well. That put a lot of pressure on your defense because you run 3 plays and punt in a matter of 90 seconds. Coach better not try to run something he can’t coach.

3 minutes ago, Destry said:

That can be said about a lot of teams , but, at the same time the opposite can be said about a lot of spread teams . I watched a team some this year that went from the motion wing t to a variation of the pistol- spread and did not turn out too well. That put a lot of pressure on your defense because you run 3 plays and punt in a matter of 90 seconds. Coach better not try to run something he can’t coach.

i was just saying Dekalb had so many athletes that the spread would have killed teams. i agree with the coaching though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cannon85 said:

i was just saying Dekalb had so many athletes that the spread would have killed teams. i agree with the coaching though.

Yeah, there are years that I feel we are athletic enough and skilled enough to run some variation. Then there are years when we are thinner in skilled talent that I think we're better off running the ball. Of course, I guess we could be more run oriented out of the spread if we wanted to.

39 minutes ago, DKBear123 said:

You can run the ball out of spread. So many people think spread means air raid. 

It can be used that way, but if nobody is worried  about you throwing it out there to your WRs then they will just keep the box loaded.

Edited by Valhalla
  • Like 1

Its all about personal philosophy and personnel.  Dont let your personal philosophy be so set that your personnel struggles.  If you are a air raid guy but are at a school that cant throw and catch then you better figure out how to run the ball.  Theres always a way to be decent at offense but sometimes coaches get so caught up in this is what I do, that they dont think about what WE should do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slickarick said:

image.png question is do you think this is spread?

image.png or this?

Spread Formations Best 6 Proven Evolution Spread Offense Playbook       Or  this?

Everything I have been taught or learned aims that if the qb is under center then you are running “one back offense” but the same formation with the qb in shotgun then you are spread. I could care less.

3 hours ago, DKBear123 said:

Right. And ground and pound teams like the slot-t keep everyone in the box. What's the difference?

I feel like it’s easier to get by with non athletic QB in a system like the slot t.

In my experience the unblocked guy in the spead can cause more damage if you snapping from shotgun depth.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I feel like it’s easier to get by with non athletic QB in a system like the slot t.

In my experience the unblocked guy in the spead can cause more damage if you snapping from shotgun depth.

This is true, but if you happen to be able to fill the QB spot with a great athlete, a system like the Slot-T can really stress a defense.