UPDATE: Tyler High hires Rashaun Woods

cujoforlife

Saw on Twitter that Rashaun Woods has resigned his post at Enid, Oklahoma to head to Tyler. 

https://www.enidnews.com/oklahoma/ehs-football-coach-woods-resigns-effectively-immediately/article_5a123d3a-98d0-11ed-b11c-6f4c07fdea40.htmlE

ENID, Okla. — Enid High School’s head football coach Rashaun Woods announced Friday morning, Jan. 20, 2023, he has accepted a head football coaching position at John Tyler High School in Tyler, TX, effective immediately.

“I am thankful for the opportunity to work and coach for such a wonderful district and community here at Enid Public Schools,” said Woods. “The administration, faculty, and parents have been nothing but supportive in its football program and coaching staff. The friendships that my family and I have made over the course of my time here will be the main thing above all that I will remember. I have given my very best to these young men and I pray it leads to future success.”

Woods completed four seasons at EHS. During his tenure, he took the Plainsmen from an 0-10 record to 6-6. The total record was 11-32 during Woods time with Enid High School, according to an Enid Public Schools press release.

“We appreciate the work Coach Woods has put into the Plainsmen football program,” said Billy Tipps, EPS athletic director. “We look forward to building on the successful groundwork he has laid, and we hope to press on to even greater achievements in the future.”

Cameron Conder, offense coordinator, will be appointed the interim head coach while the district seeks a replacement for Woods, according to the release.

The head football coaching position has been posted at enidpublicschools.org/applytoday. Eligible candidates are encouraged to apply and send a resume with cover letter to Tipps at [email protected]. Applicants will be considered as soon as applications are received.

Edited by MoCo

8 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

If it is the coach from Oklahoma. I hope that he has done his research on Tyler High and Cujo nation. 

Ummm. Wowzers.   He ain’t gonna be in Kansas anymore Toto. 

About as opposite of Tyler and Cujo Nation as you can get  

Enid, Oklahoma:

C67DC4BD-7582-4F11-9E87-2720475B791B.jpeg

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Fire a coach with a bad record to bring in a coach with a bad record…… That’s the TISD way. And somehow legacy will get a state title bred coach.

Well didn’t that have that ? Didn’t do squat? Name wise seems like a decent hire. Expectations should be competitive and maybe contend with DC. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Ummm. Wowzers.   He ain’t gonna be in Kansas anymore Toto. 

About as opposite of Tyler and Cujo Nation as you can get  

Enid, Oklahoma:

C67DC4BD-7582-4F11-9E87-2720475B791B.jpeg

Was surprised but seems decent considering where the program is now.

Woods also coached in inner city OKC at Millwood and Marshall...and he did win a state title as a head coach.

Folks I talked with in Oklahoma said he did a very good job at Enid and they improved each year he was there

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/01/23/tyler-high-names-rashaun-woods-next-head-coach?ref=article_preview_title

• Like 2

This is official now they hired former wr from ok state rashaun woods don’t know much about him but he went 11-32 at the school he just left hmm https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/01/23/tyler-high-names-rashaun-woods-next-head-coach?ref=article_preview_img&fbclid=IwAR1uBS7TTKZIBUySjvZQ-nQkYn1NRBPajdBcwKHOBkXpoM4UlrLZ02i7tXg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by 3rdcoastent

7 minutes ago, 3rdcoastent said:

This is official now they hired former wr from ok state rashaun woods don’t know much about him but he went 11-32 at the school he just left hmm https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/01/23/tyler-high-names-rashaun-woods-next-head-coach?ref=article_preview_img&fbclid=IwAR1uBS7TTKZIBUySjvZQ-nQkYn1NRBPajdBcwKHOBkXpoM4UlrLZ02i7tXg&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Wow...11-32 in the past seasons...in Oklahoma... not really impressive to me at all. I would say that's a hell of a promotion and was a definite long shot. 

59 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Fire a coach with a bad record to bring in a coach with a bad record…… That’s the TISD way. And somehow legacy will get a state title bred coach.

He did win a state championship. You can only hire guys that apply for the job. I guess he had the best resume out of all the coaches who applied. 

His overall record I think is deceiving because he had to rebuild a bad program and took some lumps in the rebuild...thats why i think you cant always judge a coach just by record...I dont know how this will work out, but the resume IMO is solid..

Several coaches have come from OK to Texas and done well and won titles....I dont think being from OK will make or break Woods 

• Like 2

I remember him as a player but know nothing about him as a coach since he has been coaching in OK. After a bit of research he did win a 3A title 20217 at a different school in OK. His team gave up 77 and 63 points to Bixby while scoring only 14 last year. Bixby was the 6A state champs. I just don't see alot to be excited about this hire. Bixby did score 66 points in the state championship game so their is that.

Edited by Grainraiser

Taking the wait and see approach on this one before passing any judgement.

He's been great as HC (state title). Low records at his last spot but he literally brought them back from 0-10 to 6-6. 

For him to have beat out the Houston area coordinator though, very interesting....but he has more experience than Holmes did coming into JT as HC.

Edited by ANTI
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Grainraiser said:

How does a out of state guy put together a staff in a state he is not familiar with. Not saying it is not possible but I am assuming he is going to bring some guys from OK with him.

Louisiana and Arky coaches have done it.

Just posting some upside information on Coach Woods:

Woods joins the EPS team after serving Oklahoma City Public Schools as the John Marshall High School head football coach since 2012. He led the John Marshall Bears from a winless program the season before he took the helm to an Oklahoma football powerhouse, including three district titles and a state championship in just six years.

Woods began his coaching career in 2008, when he served as the offensive coordinator for Star Spencer High School in Oklahoma City, which won the state championship that year. His offense averaged 48 yards per game, and his team boasted, among its players, a 1,500-yard passer and two 1,000-yard rushers.

From 2009-2012, Woods coached for Millwood Public Schools before accepting the head football position at John Marshall. The year before his arrival, the Bears went 0-10. Under Woods’ leadership, the team won the state championship in 2017.

While at John Marshall, Woods earned the honor of Oklahoma City Public Schools Male Coach of the Year in 2016 and 2017. Thirty-nine of his players have received college football scholarships, including seven who accepted D1 offers.