Destry

11 hours ago, Destry said:

78, so the 2 fouls on Buffalo were both missed 3 point shots so Fairfield shot 6 free throws and missed all 6 of them in order to have made the score 84?

Sorry that was just second half the first half the fouls were 3 for buffalo and 2 for fairfield.

So a total of 5 fouls buffalo and 3 fouls fairfield.

55 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Sorry that was just second half the first half the fouls were 3 for buffalo and 2 for fairfield.

So a total of 5 fouls buffalo and 3 fouls fairfield.

The old saying that the officials let them play would apply here.😂

• LOL! 1

I have witnessed 2 games worse than this already this year and they both could have been 150-0 if the opposing coaches wanted... Sometimes it just cannot be helped and you cannot expect the other team to just stop playing.... Run the clock and hope no one gets injured.  I do have a problem if the winning team keeps running full court pressure or refuses to run the clock. I have been reported to the UIL for runnng the clock in a 90 point blow out and the winning coach refused to get out of press or allow clock to run so I just ran it anyway

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On the girls side its not uncommon for the top teams to destroy other girls teams. The Tenaha and Lipan girls for example have dominated their district opponents by some wild scores.

But for a varsity team to not score a point. That is.... just unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Fairfield is top notch man wow!

How about my girls with the upset last night in Franklin!

Yes it was a good game. I believe the last 4-5 years the road team has won the girls game between the two. Either way we both got our hands full with ranked teams in the first round

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destry said:

Do teams not run a slow down or stall offense anymore? That could hurt them down the line also.

Against FF it is very hard they have a suffocating defense and they do not let you hold it.

The only way to beat FF is to have the athletes to match them and beat them at their own game.

Maybe some programs should withdraw their team from UIL competition and just do some practice and scrimmage stuff to build the program until they can compete?  At some point the schools that are getting beat like this have to look at what they are doing, right?  I know theres some powerhouses out there that are gonna lay it on a lot of teams, but I don't think we have a huge problem with coaches running it up on hapless teenagers.

There's no rule that says you have to compete participate in all sports.  

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Maybe some programs should withdraw their team from UIL competition and just do some practice and scrimmage stuff to build the program until they can compete?  At some point the schools that are getting beat like this have to look at what they are doing, right?  I know theres some powerhouses out there that are gonna lay it on a lot of teams, but I don't think we have a huge problem with coaches running it up on hapless teenagers.

There's no rule that says you have to compete participate in all sports.  

This post has some merit to it but what if it was a baseball team getting beat badly, how many schools in the state of Texas would tell the team that y’all are losing so badly that from now on you can come out and practice baseball and we will play a couple of intrasquad game this year.?

1 hour ago, Destry said:

This post has some merit to it but what if it was a baseball team getting beat badly, how many schools in the state of Texas would tell the team that y’all are losing so badly that from now on you can come out and practice baseball and we will play a couple of intrasquad game this year.?

If they care that much about baseball, they will have been putting in the work to build the program and not be in that situation.  Or they will realize the talent is not there.  Either way, why put rules on other teams or make them responsible for the lopsided outcome of games?

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

If they care that much about baseball, they will have been putting in the work to build the program and not be in that situation.  Or they will realize the talent is not there.  Either way, why put rules on other teams or make them responsible for the lopsided outcome of games?

I don’t necessarily agree with this especially concerning baseball. Baseball/ softball is a sport that requires development of skills from a young age. If a program is trying to develop kids into top notch baseball players beginning in junior high, they will never be competitive. Look at Carthage. Most, if not all of the kids that start for them play at least some travel and tournament ball from the age of 8 on up. It shows up in teams that are consistently good year in year out. Basketball and football rely more on athletic ability than does baseball. Girls basketball tends to rely more on great coaching than many sports. A great girls coach will consistently put a good team on the floor regardless of talent level. 

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this especially concerning baseball. Baseball/ softball is a sport that requires development of skills from a young age. If a program is trying to develop kids into top notch baseball players beginning in junior high, they will never be competitive. Look at Carthage. Most, if not all of the kids that start for them play at least some travel and tournament ball from the age of 8 on up. It shows up in teams that are consistently good year in year out. Basketball and football rely more on athletic ability than does baseball. Girls basketball tends to rely more on great coaching than many sports. A great girls coach will consistently put a good team on the floor regardless of talent level. 

True, good philosophy. Got to find a way to solve the burnout problem that occurs about high school level. Percentage of kids that play high school ball that started as 5-6 year olds is a lot less than most people think. Let’s say 100 play the little ball but only 25 play high school— figure it out. Just my guess. Keep running the slot!

9 hours ago, Destry said:

True, good philosophy. Got to find a way to solve the burnout problem that occurs about high school level. Percentage of kids that play high school ball that started as 5-6 year olds is a lot less than most people think. Let’s say 100 play the little ball but only 25 play high school— figure it out. Just my guess. Keep running the slot!

If you’re speaking about baseball you can only put 9 on the field. In a competitive game, you’re only going to have 10-12 kids at the most seeing the field. Depth is definitely a much bigger deal in football.