🟠 Aledo Bearcats football 2023

Sportsfanatic1

51 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Don't think you will find many realistic options for Carthage to play in higher classifications.  Whether it be logistics with distance and travel and/or a "legit" team in a higher classification not really having much to gain and having a lot to to lose by playing Carthage. I'd say nice try, but it wasn't.  

The only that within reason is Texas High and yall already play Marshall. Longview and lufkin are too large and gain nothing. The rest of East Texas 5a is meh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

The only that within reason is Texas High and yall already play Marshall. Longview and lufkin are too large and gain nothing. The rest of East Texas 5a is meh.

I personally don’t want the Dawgs to play the Lobos. They would have to play early in the season and the game would be so dang physical. There would be a lot of walking wounded. Longview would overwhelm the Dawgs with depth. It dang sure wouldn’t be no blowout. But both sides would be beat up. It would not be worth it before district games. 
Again my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

3 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Just a reminder Eagleborn, the Dawgs did play and beat the 5 A DII team that played for the state championship in 2021. Crosby

Cool. Look at where Crosby is on the list compared to the others previously mentioned. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Cool. Look at where Crosby is on the list compared to the others previously mentioned. 

It doesn’t matter where Crosby is on the list. My point was the Dawgs have played a championship caliber team two divisions higher and beat them. 
I personally hope the Dawgs don’t do that very often because of the physicality and depth of the larger classification schools ranked in the top ten. Especially two divisions higher. To win state championships in any division you have to play good teams to get better but you have to stay healthy as you can also. 

42 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

It doesn’t matter where Crosby is on the list. My point was the Dawgs have played a championship caliber team two divisions higher and beat them. 
I personally hope the Dawgs don’t do that very often because of the physicality and depth of the larger classification schools ranked in the top ten. Especially two divisions higher. To win state championships in any division you have to play good teams to get better but you have to stay healthy as you can also. 

But thats not correct. Crosby was not state championship caliber when yall played them. You cant count the year before. That was a different team! Thats like Gladewater, Gilmer, Henderson, Kilgore, or El Campo bragging about beating 2013 Carthage lmao. Different team than the one all those teams beat. 

Edited by AledoAlumni
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

But thats not correct. Crosby was not state championship caliber when yall played them. You cant count the year before. That was a different team! Thats like Gladewater, Gilmer, Henderson, Kilgore, or El Campo bragging about beating 2013 Carthage lmao. Different team than the one all those teams beat. 

Crosby played Liberty Hill in the semifinals in 2021 and got beat. So you’re saying a team that makes it to the semifinals is not a championship caliber team. 

24 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Crosby played Liberty Hill in the semifinals in 2021 and got beat. So you’re saying a team that makes it to the semifinals is not a championship caliber team. 

I'm saying that Crosby team was not state championship caliber like you were trying to make them out to be.  

1. Aledo

2. Carthage

End of story.  Dawgs still have a target no matter how many titles they’ve won to this point, and Aledo has been a moving target.

Though we don’t get to play each other we get to compete from a distance within the confines of our own classifications.

Aledo deserves all the admiration any program in the entire nation does.  I know I admire their prowess.

Those Bulldogs are working hard and we love them.

Go Dawgs!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

The dogs beat a semi finalist team two divisions higher. 

• Like 1

Team A goes 16 - 0 winning every game all year by at least 28 points, except in round 3 of the playoffs they beat Team B by one point on a last second FG(Team B finishes the year 12-1).  In the state finals, Team A beats Team C 49 - 0(Team C finishes the year 12-4).  
Did Team C have a better year than Team B ?

11 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I personally don’t want the Dawgs to play the Lobos. They would have to play early in the season and the game would be so dang physical. There would be a lot of walking wounded. Longview would overwhelm the Dawgs with depth. It dang sure wouldn’t be no blowout. But both sides would be beat up. It would not be worth it before district games. 
Again my opinion. 

By both sides you mean the carthage offense and defense right?

Aledo and Carthage both have great programs.  IMO Aledo plays up more in the pre-district games than Carthage does year over year, I didn't actually go back and look at schedules for the last six years, but knowing the list posted earlier in the thread it's fairly evident.

I think Carthage could easily compete with the 5A D2 schools in ET.  NAC, Lufkin, THigh, JT. Play one of those teams each year...idk

It's not necessarily the fact Aledo has played up, it's who they have played when they have played up...this was Aledos first year up in 5A D1 right? Pretty dang impressive.

Congrats to both programs!

14 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Team A goes 16 - 0 winning every game all year by at least 28 points, except in round 3 of the playoffs they beat Team B by one point on a last second FG(Team B finishes the year 12-1).  In the state finals, Team A beats Team C 49 - 0(Team C finishes the year 12-4).  
Did Team C have a better year than Team B ?

Yes. Any team that makes it to state has a better year than all the others that dont. However making it to state does not mean that you are the 2nd best team. '22 LV would have beat College Station, '18 Oak Cliff would have beat Fort Bend Marshall, '13 Ennis would have beat Brenham. But all those teams lost before state and did not have as good a year as those that made it. 

6 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Since Aledo is #1 here's look at just one of their great backs. Also I think he's a RB coach at Aledo. Also had a very good college career.

Statistically the best to ever come through this state. 

6 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Has nothing to do with this overall conversation, but I just ran across this Dwight Smith highlight reel on YouTube and had never seen it until today.

This dude was so good and just physically amazing to watch in person.

It’s a shame his grades didn’t carry over from California. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VonG said:

JT and Lufkin are not 5a d2 teams. Lol. 

No, but In recent years they compete at that level and Carthage could hold their own against them. Am I wrong?

If you drop Carthage into 5a D1 district 7 this year and they likely finish 3rd or 4th depending primarily on depth. I’m  talking about playing one pre-district game a year against one of those teams…

I’m not a Carthage fan necessarily but in ET Carthage would be a playoff team if not a district champion every year in those 5a D2 districts. 5a D2 in the two ET districts aren’t loaded with powerhouse teams. 

They would’ve likely beaten JT handily this year.

idk, maybe I’m just underrating 5a D2 in ET, but there isn’t any other competition in 4a D1 or D2 that can challenge them in ET…nothing wrong with trying to play up once a year IMO.

Edited by dfwfootballfan
  • Like 1

I never said Carthage couldn't hold their own. JT and Lufkin would never schedule Carthage and Carthage would never schedule them. You labeled JT and Lufkin as being 5a d2 and I just corrected it. Nothing more than that.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic