Republicans Want A 30% National Sales Tax???

BarryLaverty

6 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Dead on arrival, I would say. It would shift the tax burden down onto the rest of us, while you millionaires would pay less of your income. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/democrats-revel-in-the-gops-doozy-of-an-idea-for-a-national-sales-tax-210400152.html

Last I heard it was 23%. It would also have done away with the IRS, if I'm understanding right.

It's DOA anyway, because McCarthy won't send it to the floor for a vote, from what I understand. And even if he did, it would never make it past the Senate, and Biden would veto it anyway.

9 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Dead on arrival, I would say. It would shift the tax burden down onto the rest of us, while you millionaires would pay less of your income. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/democrats-revel-in-the-gops-doozy-of-an-idea-for-a-national-sales-tax-210400152.html

The tax burden is already on us.  Billionaires don't really pay taxes anyway.  They pass the tax expense onto the consumer as has always been the case.  Sales tax would just make things much simpler. 

Edited by ObiOne

I think a national sales tax is a good idea, not 30%, more like 9-11%-not on food, and do away with income taxes, SS taxes, and inheritance taxes. I mean while you complain about the tax burden shift, it would actually have more people in the game, because as of right now--47-53% of the people don't pay income taxes at all, and they get more money back from the government at tax season than what they pay in. Honestly, if you have a national sales tax, you get a choice if you purchase something. As we speak, if you work, the government takes a very good percentage of your money before you even get to spend it. That is government overreach at its best. But keep believing that millionaires get all the benefits of tax breaks.....🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

I think a national sales tax is a good idea, not 30%, more like 9-11%-not on food, and do away with income taxes, SS taxes, and inheritance taxes. I mean while you complain about the tax burden shift, it would actually have more people in the game, because as of right now--47-53% of the people don't pay income taxes at all, and they get more money back from the government at tax season than what they pay in. Honestly, if you have a national sales tax, you get a choice if you purchase something. As we speak, if you work, the government takes a very good percentage of your money before you even get to spend it. That is government overreach at its best. But keep believing that millionaires get all the benefits of tax breaks.....🤦‍♂️

Agree.  Let's do away with property taxes too.  

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

increasing the sales tax would be nothing but regressive on the vast amount of the American people. This is one more approach to benefit the rich whom the 'conservatives' are controlled by and worship. 

You can't think past a CNN sound bite.  People have posted their ideas on your thread and instead of debating with your great ideas.....you are your normal parrot self.  Not surprised.

10 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Sales tax.  In a free country, I believe people should have control of how much they spend/are taxed.  

We are 8.25% already in Texas for sales tax, at least in my county, which you would have to bump up tremendously to make up the difference in lost revenue. You throw in a 30% national sales tax, and you are now talking about something like 50% of your income. That's my ballpark guess. You up for that? Or more. 

This article is from 1998! This idea has been kicking around for a long time. It's not 'fair' to anyone but the richest among us. 

https://www.brookings.edu/research/dont-buy-the-sales-tax/

Edited by BarryLaverty

14 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

talking about something like 50% of your income.

How much of your income, in total, is ALREADY being taken in taxes, Barry? All your utilities have taxes associated with them. Your mortgage (I'm assuming you have a mortgage) has your property taxes attached to it. Almost anything you buy has a tax attached to it. AND you're paying (or, more correctly they're taking) taxes every time you get paid.

20 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

We are 8.25% already in Texas for sales tax, at least in my county, which you would have to bump up tremendously to make up the difference in lost revenue. You throw in a 30% national sales tax, and you are now talking about something like 50% of your income. That's my ballpark guess. You up for that? Or more. 

This article is from 1998! This idea has been kicking around for a long time. It's not 'fair' to anyone but the richest among us. 

As much as it takes to run our wonderful govt.  That is how much I'm up for. 

I just want to be in control of how much I pay.  If I want a new car I get to choose to buy a new car and pay more taxes. If I want to sit in my house and shoot deer and eat from my garden and pay virtually no taxes...that is my choice.  How was the govt funded before 1913?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

increasing the sales tax would be nothing but regressive on the vast amount of the American people. This is one more approach to benefit the rich whom the 'conservatives' are controlled by and worship. 

Is there a national sales tax at this moment? But there is an income tax, a tax that is taken prior to you or anyone being able to spend or save that money. If a student, such as your daughter or mine were making $1000 a month, they would pay $205.43 a month in taxes--as shown below. That is 20% of their money gone, prior to spending it. They don't even get to spend that money--because they have just funded the government instead of themselves. 

So if we did away with all those Federal Taxes--as proposed, at the bills current "tax rate of 30%", they'd pay less than 10% more. Of course, I would never vote for a single lawmaker that proposed that much in sales taxes. But I would consider 9-11% as I have stated above. I that instance, depending upon their spending, they would save 10% or more. And there could NEVER be a take on FOOD!!!!! That is another deal breaker for me. 

image.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

Rich people buy more goods than poor people, they would pay more in taxes. And they actually couldn’t cheat this way. Win win. 

To be fair, lower income spend more of their income so it can be argued that the tax is regressive.  My understanding is there will be rebates for income levels keeping the burden pretty much where it currently is.  Squarely on the backs of the middle class.

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

I agree that the state sales tax is high enough.....what I hate in Austin is that ALL revenue goes into the GENERAL FUND.....to be spent how a bunch of politicians with their "buddies" hands in their pockets. And the actual state sales tax is 6.25% and counties/cities can add 2% for their areas. 

I would love to see the state adopt a policy of allocating the money for specific areas, such as 1 cent of each purchase to education, 1 cent of each purchase to roads/highways, 1 cent to Parks & Wildlife, and the rest could be placed in the general fund. That is because those are 3 things that I actually believe that the state should be supporting. 

Then the same with the state gas tax, the state lottery money, etc.... on state generated revenues. 

But that is just me. And then there is the budget....the money that has been placed in the account is how much there is too spend. 

35 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Is there a national sales tax at this moment? But there is an income tax, a tax that is taken prior to you or anyone being able to spend or save that money. If a student, such as your daughter or mine were making $1000 a month, they would pay $205.43 a month in taxes--as shown below. That is 20% of their money gone, prior to spending it. They don't even get to spend that money--because they have just funded the government instead of themselves. 

So if we did away with all those Federal Taxes--as proposed, at the bills current "tax rate of 30%", they'd pay less than 10% more. Of course, I would never vote for a single lawmaker that proposed that much in sales taxes. But I would consider 9-11% as I have stated above. I that instance, depending upon their spending, they would save 10% or more. And there could NEVER be a take on FOOD!!!!! That is another deal breaker for me. 

image.png

That also doesn't take into account any additional taxes paid through utilities, gasoline, etc.

5 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Last I heard it was 23%. It would also have done away with the IRS, if I'm understanding right.

It's DOA anyway, because McCarthy won't send it to the floor for a vote, from what I understand. And even if he did, it would never make it past the Senate, and Biden would veto it anyway.

23% is too much

id say 

$0-$49,999 pays 10%
$50k-$149,999 pays 12%
$150k-$249,999 pays 14%
$250k-$499,999 pays 16%
$$500k-$999,999 pays 18%
$1million plus pays 20%

no write offs 

that’s it.  If they can’t run a govt on that, cut spending. 

5 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I would never side with a sales tax.  A flat tax is best, but won’t ever happen.  My suggestion of a tiered tax bracket above would prolly work, as long as there’s no write offs.  If you gross in that bracket, you pay that percentage.  You can have your employer withhold a set amount each check or pay it all at the end of the year, your choice