Question for coaches.........

GNR

Does your school district rob you of your athletes during athletic period?  Or during practice time?

Our admin. has always worked together on this, no kids are takin out of athletic period for another teacher's class.  They are to use the 25min. tutorial period to make up test, finish homework, etc. and or, have HS athletes come in before school (not to interfere with HS practice times) and JH kids come in before school (not to interfere with JH practice times).  

We understand the importance of education, we really do!  But many of our athletes would not come to school if it wasn't for athletics.

Please give some insight as to what your school does.

42 minutes ago, GNR said:

Does your school district rob you of your athletes during athletic period?  Or during practice time?

Our admin. has always worked together on this, no kids are takin out of athletic period for another teacher's class.  They are to use the 25min. tutorial period to make up test, finish homework, etc. and or, have HS athletes come in before school (not to interfere with HS practice times) and JH kids come in before school (not to interfere with JH practice times).  

We understand the importance of education, we really do!  But many of our athletes would not come to school if it wasn't for athletics.

Never been at a district that removes kids from athletic period for academic purposes.

This would be my question. Why would the kid need to be taken during the athletic period. If the kid doesn't do the work or can't comprehend the work during the actual class period or during the tutorial period, is that extra time in the classroom gonna close the gap? If I don't understand what you are asking, just ignore and move on to the next reply lol.

• Like 1

I have been at schools that have pulled students out of athletics, in turn, it was not a pleasant place to work. My current school does not do this at the HS level. It will happen occasionally at the JH level, but still very rare. We have a built in tutorial period in the middle of the day for teachers to pull kids for extra work/makeup work.

• Like 2

We will pull high school kids if they are in offseason. Never while they are currently participating in a season that is going on right then. We will pull JH kids whenever. They need to learn how to be student athletes

We also have a school district wide tutorial period built in before lunch and before school starts. 

Only had one district that allowed kids to be pulled out of athletics and not surprisingly it was a huge dumpster fire... and still is!! The kids caught on pretty quickly that all they had to do was get a note from their favorite teacher to allow them to come to their classroom during athletics and they didn't have to run or lift that day. We weren't allowed to make them do make up work for the workouts they missed. Several of the teachers hated athletics and loved getting the kids out of working out and admin backed the teachers!! Like I said...dumpster fire and very few wins for most of the sports!! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, GNR said:

I had this problem with one teacher really bad years ago. 

One day I just went to her class and pull some kids out to do push ups in the hall. She got my point after that lol.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • LOL! 2

As a Coach, have you ever taken a kid out of English class to lift weights? Why should athletics be any different? If we believe Athletics is important enough to be a class period (duh...it is what makes our state the best HS football in America) then we should treat the athletic period no differently than any other class. That is why teachers have scheduled tutorial times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

As a Coach, have you ever taken a kid out of English class to lift weights? Why should athletics be any different? If we believe Athletics is important enough to be a class period (duh...it is what makes our state the best HS football in America) then we should treat the athletic period no differently than any other class. That is why teachers have scheduled tutorial times.

100% the athletic period is our classroom! 

• Like 2

I've been in districts that did, and as you would think, we were bad. The best way I've seen it done is to either have the tutorial period built into the schedule, or if a kid was struggling/failing a class we would send them to tutorials for 30 min after school. This way they typically missed the special teams and warm up portion of practice and not offense/defense. 

When I was in the coaching business I would send kids to teachers during athletic period in classes they were struggling to get their crap straight.  It helps no one if a kid is ineligible and after all they are student/athletes 100% of the time and never athlete/students.  I would sacrifice every win to get every kid excelling in the classroom.  If that is not your goal then you are doing it wrong in my opinion.  

Kids get work hard if they risk losing what they want.  Missing athletic period always got the point across.  

25 minutes ago, CrankyOldMan said:

When I was in the coaching business I would send kids to teachers during athletic period in classes they were struggling to get their crap straight.  It helps no one if a kid is ineligible and after all they are student/athletes 100% of the time and never athlete/students.  I would sacrifice every win to get every kid excelling in the classroom.  If that is not your goal then you are doing it wrong in my opinion.  

Kids get work hard if they risk losing what they want.  Missing athletic period always got the point across.  

My experience is the opposite of that. Kids try to find way to miss because they are lazy.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

My experience is the opposite of that. Kids try to find way to miss because they are lazy.

My goal was to get the kids to do what they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it. When it's time for class, it's time to be a student. When it's time for athletics, be an athlete. Take care of your business. I'm not saying there aren't special circumstances because I think there are, but this has been my approach. I think if you leave this situation fluid and sometimes the kid goes to athletics and sometimes he goes to the classroom, I don't think you're teaching that kid responsibility. Getting out of one thing to do another doesn't make you a student athlete. It you makes you a student. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

If that is your mindset you need to change occupations.  Jeez what a terrible generalization.  For that low % of kids that are lazy its pretty simple.  No practice, no play.  If you have to beg them to practice you are gonna have to beg them to play hard.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I've experienced the same thing.  kids go looking for a note from a teacher so they can skip athletic period.  Makes it tough when you only have 50 or so kids.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrankyOldMan said:

If that is your mindset you need to change occupations.  Jeez what a terrible generalization.  For that low % of kids that are lazy its pretty simple.  No practice, no play.  If you have to beg them to practice you are gonna have to beg them to play hard.   

You sound like you have been out of the profession for a minute.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GNR said:

I've experienced the same thing.  kids go looking for a note from a teacher so they can skip athletic period.  Makes it tough when you only have 50 or so kids.

Exactly! We even had some teachers that gave the kids notes to get out of athletics to "study" but actually sent them to go get them something to eat from the local cafe so they wouldn't have to go during their lunch period!!! Brought this to the admins attention and nothing was done...and people wonder why some programs struggle year after year!!!

• Like 2