Bonham AD/HFC

OleCoachB

On 2/25/2023 at 4:53 PM, Stickstick said:

2-8, 0-6 in district and you promote from within. Interesting strategy

People jump straight to the coaching record. They have a guy on staff that has a ring or two. Did he forget how to coach when he left that staff? Or was it the kids he had that made the difference? Probably same issue here. It isn't just coaching responsible for that record. Is coaching a part of it, of course it is. Plus, how do you know new coach won't have a different offensive philosophy or an improved culture that might help keep games closer or at least close enough to be competitive. If you are at least competitive, that builds momentum to give you a chance during the season as opposed to getting beat by 50 every game. I think judging a coach purely on record is lazy. He may not be the right guy, but I think it will have more to do with his philosophy, relationships with kids, the culture he builds, support from the community, caliber of kids he has, and a lot of luck more so than his ability as a coach. I hope it works out for them. Either way, the district they play in is really good. I don't know if any coach could come in there and they be super successful over night. It is going to take stability to get that program headed in the right direction.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

People jump straight to the coaching record. They have a guy on staff that has a ring or two. Did he forget how to coach when he left that staff? Or was it the kids he had that made the difference? Probably same issue here. It isn't just coaching responsible for that record. Is coaching a part of it, of course it is. Plus, how do you know new coach won't have a different offensive philosophy or an improved culture that might help keep games closer or at least close enough to be competitive. If you are at least competitive, that builds momentum to give you a chance during the season as opposed to getting beat by 50 every game. I think judging a coach purely on record is lazy. He may not be the right guy, but I think it will have more to do with his philosophy, relationships with kids, the culture he builds, support from the community, caliber of kids he has, and a lot of luck more so than his ability as a coach. I hope it works out for them. Either way, the district they play in is really good. I don't know if any coach could come in there and they be super successful over night. It is going to take stability to get that program headed in the right direction.  

But are we sure the coach on staff with rings is getting the job?

20 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

I don't care enough about this job to read this whole reply. Promoting from within when you have been bad has never made sense to me.

7 minutes ago, Stickstick said:

I don't care enough about this job to read this whole reply. Promoting from within when you have been bad has never made sense to me.

I get that. I don't know what that situation is there which is why I'm not gonna knock that decision.

13 minutes ago, dogs3505 said:

They split the position i am told.  principals husband is now the girls ad.  no idea on the boys side.

Pretty sure it's the SUPT's husband that got that job...not the principal.

Honestly, they probably should have stuck with the last guy. He got them in the playoffs with a big time win over Winnsboro in 2021 and in my opinion overachieved at Bonham. Talent pool isn't great and constantly losing kids to other school districts. 

Previous guy should have taken a better job after the 2021 season when he led them to the playoffs despite inheriting a very bad culture and a team that was used to losing. He chose to be loyal to those kids and the school district did not have his back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoodOleBoy73 said:

Pretty sure it's the SUPT's husband that got that job...not the principal.

Honestly, they probably should have stuck with the last guy. He got them in the playoffs with a big time win over Winnsboro in 2021 and in my opinion overachieved at Bonham. Talent pool isn't great and constantly losing kids to other school districts. 

Previous guy should have taken a better job after the 2021 season when he led them to the playoffs despite inheriting a very bad culture and a team that was used to losing. He chose to be loyal to those kids and the school district did not have his back.

Hope he ends up somewhere good!

1 hour ago, GraysonFan said:

They are hiring their current baseball coach as the new boys AD and HFC.  Not sure what football experience he has.

Could go 2 ways. But from what I have observed over the years—— big mistake. Should of hired the ag teacher from North Podunk.

I think it was when they hired John Fish on the search before the one when they hired Dezern a few years ago.  I can’t remember the guy’s name but yeah he apparently brought his wife and kids to the school board meeting expecting to get the job and it turned in to a big fiasco.  His wife went scorched earth on social media too.  I think he may have been out of Oklahoma.

• LOL! 1