💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You're a college recruiter and your staff puts three prospects in front of you. You haven't had a chance to watch their film yet, so this is all you have to go on...  who do you like? 

QB "A"
passing=3500yds 45td 5int 
rushing=900yds, 20tds
Team went 10-0

QB "B"
passing=3000yds 35tds 3int
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

QB "C"
passing=2000yds 25tds 2ints
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

Just on paper, who do you like? 

A  - rushing stats show he is an athlete.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mr. P said:

You're a college recruiter and your staff puts three prospects in front of you. You haven't had a chance to watch their film yet, so this is all you have to go on...  who do you like? 

QB "A"
rushing=900yds, 20tds
Team went 10-0

QB "B"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

QB "C"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

Depending on what my Qb room needs, offer all 3 and take the first to commit. They all seem like good decision makers and they lead winning teams. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:51 PM, Mr. P said:

QB "A"
rushing=900yds, 20tds
Team went 10-0

QB "B"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

QB "C"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

A = Jackson Arnold

B = Malachi Nelson

C = Arch Manning

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 2:51 PM, Mr. P said:

QB "A"
rushing=900yds, 20tds
Team went 10-0

QB "B"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

QB "C"
rushing=200yds 2tds
Team went 8-2

A- Give me Lamar Jackson/Jalen Hurts... (this is just for college right?)

• LOL! 1

34 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

A- Give me Lamar Jackson/Jalen Hurts... (this is just for college right?)

Lol, I'm just trying to cut through the "hype" and see where the numbers lead you.  :woot:

6 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Lol, I'm just trying to cut through the "hype" and see where the numbers lead you.  :woot:

Well if you don't like Arch's numbers then I certainly wouldn't suggest looking at his competition level.

Edited by Valhalla
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Well if you don't like Arch's numbers then I certainly wouldn't suggest looking at his competition level.

Gotta admit, I was disappointed he didn't play in the All-American game. I was looking forward to seeing him compete with/against his fellow elite recruits. 

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Gotta admit, I was disappointed he didn't play in the All-American game. I was looking forward to seeing him compete with/against his fellow elite recruits. 

What is the chance Arch is more like Eli and less like Payton?

Or (C) More like Cooper?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

What is the chance Arch is more like Eli and less like Payton?

Or (C) More like Cooper?

TBH, I really have no idea. I'm serious. I know it seems like I'm down on the kid, but I'm really not. I just don't have enough quality film to make an accurate assessment.

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm just not impressed with someone who rolls up big numbers against private schools in Louisiana. He's got great mechanics and footwork, I'll give him that. But everyone's got a plan until they're hit in the mouth. 

Ewers scares me. Arch does not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr. P said:

He avoided all of the competition like it was a plague. 

Of course he was already anointed by all of the services since the day of his birth.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

TBH, I really have no idea. I'm serious. I know it seems like I'm down on the kid, but I'm really not. I just don't have enough quality film to make an accurate assessment.

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm just not impressed with someone who rolls up big numbers against private schools in Louisiana. He's got great mechanics and footwork, I'll give him that. But everyone's got a plan until they're hit in the mouth. 

Any QB that puts up those types of numbers in the playoffs and against pre conference competition is not a 5 star QB. Period. Arch is not a 5 star. He has a big name, but was scared of camps and competition, put up up just decent numbers against a terrible district, and got his butt handed to him every time he played a real team. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a more overrated prospect and I’ll be absolutely shocked if he ever starts a game for a power 5 team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr. P said:

There are only 4-5 private schools in Louisiana that even matter and they are or used to all be in separate classifications.

• Wow 1

13 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I think the plan for Manning is simple.  Ewers has a huge year and declares for the draft in the next 2 years then Manning takes over as a RS Fr or Sophomore to continue dominance.  This whole thing of getting Arch to Texas was so he can play in the SEC.  Ewers will take care of the B12.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

Any QB that puts up those types of numbers in the playoffs and against pre conference competition is not a 5 star QB. Period. Arch is not a 5 star. He has a big name, but was scared of camps and competition, put up up just decent numbers against a terrible district, and got his butt handed to him every time he played a real team. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a more overrated prospect and I’ll be absolutely shocked if he ever starts a game for a power 5 team. 

The irritating thing to me is that the recruiting services had preached for years that participating in their camps/competitions was vital for your ranking.

If Arch was Arch Johnson instead of Arch Manning there is no way in hell that Rivals and 247 would have him ranked so high with him avoiding all chances to be evaluated against his peers.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Isn't that after he signed the dotted line with Bama? After all, that's what the thread is about agreeing to sums before the step foot on campus.

I was just referring to his comments on “before they earn it.” He talks about Bryce Young and implies that the qb position at Bama is the million dollar position, not that the player earned it: 

Good read...

If you want to play for Alabama, you might not get your way when it comes to NIL money.

According to OutKick, Nick Saban had no problems letting a top recruit and one of his own players go recently after they asked for over $1 million combined from the school.

"Someone with one of the best corners in the nation (in high school) came to me and asked if we’d pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play," Saban said, according to Baker High School coach Steve Normand. "I’m not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

Normand added that Saban feels the NCAA "needs more ways and means to control it because it’s getting out of hand."

Saban later added that he lost 10 players, including a starter, to the portal already.

"One of them wanted $500,000 and for us to get his girlfriend into law school at Alabama and pay for it. I showed him the door," Saban reportedly said.

It's unknown who Saban was referring to. He did not mention names or schools, but it's possible he was talking about Javion Cohen, who transferred to Miami.

"I think a couple of things are of concern," Saban said in August. "We allow alumni through collectives to get involved in recruiting and other things. That’s always something we’ve always guarded against in college football. I think what kind of competitive balance are we able to create if we allow that to happen, which is not going to be great for fans.

"The best competitive balance you can have is like in the NFL. They have rules to create competitive balance. Whether it’s salary cap, difficulty of schedule, where you draft, where you pick relative to your won-loss record. Those things are important I think in the interest of creating a lot of good matchups on a national basis."

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..