Waskom ISD In The News for Coach TikToking Response To Shooting Threat

BarryLaverty

• BarryLaverty changed the title to Waskom ISD In The News for Coach TikToking Response To Shooting Threat

I work in Waskom with several people who live there.  This was not handled correctly.  There are excuses being made by the district as to why nothing was done.  This is not the first time this district has had threats by students against staff or students that have not had any action taken and excuses made for the students who made threats.

Nobody wants kids to get hurt at schools.  When we have a threat made by a student, it has to be taken seriously.  It's illegal and should be treated as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad situation all around, the young man has ADHD which is not a good situation for Waskom helping the young man, he has been a problem for a long time and he is only in the 6th grade. According to the rules he can only be put into sac for 10 straight days and then has to be put back into the class room. I could be wrong on that but that was what I was told. The young fellow is also a transfer student and lives out of district. His grandparents have pulled him from the school and he is now being homed schooled. 

3 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

Sad situation all around, the young man has ADHD which is not a good situation for Waskom helping the young man, he has been a problem for a long time and he is only in the 6th grade. According to the rules he can only be put into sac for 10 straight days and then has to be put back into the class room. I could be wrong on that but that was what I was told. The young fellow is also a transfer student and lives out of district. His grandparents have pulled him from the school and he is now being homed schooled. 

It is a sad situation, and I don't have the answer.  I know the answer does not mean dismissing threats against others.  In this day and age, those can't go unchecked.  I really hope they get the kid the help that is needed.  I don't at all want this kid thrown out and disenfranchised with society.  The district should have the ability to get resources to assist in getting these kids the help they need.

2 hours ago, Wild74 said:

You said the problem without realizing it

1 hour ago, BlahBlah said:

So why was the teacher put on leave for if he told the truth ?

I'm not sure he told the whole truth, but in his post he made reference to the Superintendent & Middle School Principle even though he didn't name them everyone who lives in Waskom knows who they are. I am not sure but I believe that teachers at Waskom sign something about making statements on social media most people know that going on social media to vent about your place of employment is not a good thing unless your planning on moving on down the line and of course this follows you wherever you go.  

This story is going national.

Texas middle school teacher says he was placed on administrative leave after reporting student's threat (msn.com)

Zwerner now plans on suing the school district, according to her attorney, who said that other teachers and employees warned administrators multiple times that the boy had a gun on him, "but the administration could not be bothered."

If this is true, people need to lose their jobs.  

11 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

This story is going national.

Texas middle school teacher says he was placed on administrative leave after reporting student's threat (msn.com)

Zwerner now plans on suing the school district, according to her attorney, who said that other teachers and employees warned administrators multiple times that the boy had a gun on him, "but the administration could not be bothered."

If this is true, people need to lose their jobs.  

I think Patrick jump the gun so to speak a little bit, the boy had no gun and the state police and local police was at the school to confirm this, now why the boy wasn't put into sac before going to weight lifting I don't know. Patrick would be there today if he hadn't ran to tic tok and posted his one sided story for all to see violating his contract. Also Patrick was not renewed long before this so he was getting to leave a little early. 

I do have hope, I hope the kid can get the help he needs to straighten his life up, he hasn't got off to a good start and has been a long standing problem for a while and a major problem for the grandparents because the mom and dad is no where around. I hope the coach gets the justice he deserves with pay. I hope the school administration can work out what needs to be done in future situations and not gloss over the threat when one is made. Maybe a little more training would help. I also hope the school board makes the right decisions if they are indeed asked to make a decision. I do have hope and making this story go national might help that along.  

58 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

I think Patrick jump the gun so to speak a little bit, the boy had no gun and the state police and local police was at the school to confirm this, now why the boy wasn't put into sac before going to weight lifting I don't know. Patrick would be there today if he hadn't ran to tic tok and posted his one sided story for all to see violating his contract. Also Patrick was not renewed long before this so he was getting to leave a little early. 

Well, at least the school can use the "disgruntled employee" defense.

I am sure the school had plenty of opportunity to talk with him before he made the video to explain their actions.  I'm not saying he was right, as I don't have the info, but it seems like the district dropped the ball on this.

The 6 year old that shot the teacher in Virginia was not searched for a gun even though the school was alerted more than once.

Threats have to be taken seriously.  Threatening to shoot someone is more than a trip to SAC.  That's a suspension.  You can be arrested for that.

11 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Well, at least the school can use the "disgruntled employee" defense.

I am sure the school had plenty of opportunity to talk with him before he made the video to explain their actions.  I'm not saying he was right, as I don't have the info, but it seems like the district dropped the ball on this.

The 6 year old that shot the teacher in Virginia was not searched for a gun even though the school was alerted more than once.

Threats have to be taken seriously.  Threatening to shoot someone is more than a trip to SAC.  That's a suspension.  You can be arrested for that.

As I learn more I would not disagree

2 hours ago, Wild74 said:

As I learn more I would not disagree

And let me be clear, I am not blaming anyone in particular.  I think our districts have a lot of training to do on how to handle situations.  I understand there is also fear involved of questioning students and it being blamed on something like race, gender, orientation, insert any other reason....

• Like 1