'Astonishingly Strong' Jobs Report Is Released

BarryLaverty

I personally hope that more people going back to work means that less people are still living off the governments that have provided a living means for many in other states. IF people are working, they might have a stake in the economy and their neighborhoods. 

And as I have said in another thread, the only true unemployment number is the number of people working subtracted from the total population, every other unemployment number is a politically motivated number to make someone look good.

54 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

What's the OVERALL gain, though? You have to get back to zero first.

I keep reading about how millions of people of prime working age have "disappeared" from the workforce. How is that possible? How do they survive?  Hasn't the elevated level of govt support during the pandemic pretty much ended?

50 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I keep reading about how millions of people of prime working age have "disappeared" from the workforce. How is that possible? How do they survive?  Hasn't the elevated level of govt support during the pandemic pretty much ended?

Mr question too!!!

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Boomers retire, millineals and genZ aren’t filling the gaps.

3 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

How about the tens of thousands who have been laid off recently, too?

Just now, Monte1076 said:

How about the tens of thousands who have been laid off recently, too?

Yeah...tough times in the "big tech" industry. In the 80s and 90s it was blue collar workers getting crushed...now it is white collar folks. My son in law does pipeline work and he has been working from can to cant. I hope all the laid off land on their feet.

14 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Yeah...tough times in the "big tech" industry. In the 80s and 90s it was blue collar workers getting crushed...now it is white collar folks. My son in law does pipeline work and he has been working from can to cant. I hope all the laid off land on their feet.

I hope they land on their feet, too.

My broader point is if you have 10,000 jobs, and those 10,000 people get laid off, to get "back to zero", those 10,000 people have to find new jobs. Zero doesn't move. When those 10,000 find new jobs, it's not (IMHO) a "gain" of 10,000. It's a "net" of 0.

Edited by Monte1076
  • Thanks 1