💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

If anyone is derailing this thread it’s you (wet). The article was about a High School kid that has not even been to one practice or sign with the team wanting something. At least Young had been at practice and had played in games. Played in enough that someone was willing to bank on him being the starter the next 2 years. Saban apparently thinks there is a big difference.

28 minutes ago, 514 said:

If anyone is derailing this thread it’s you (wet). The article was about a High School kid that has not even been to one practice or sign with the team wanting something. At least Young had been at practice and had played in games. Played in enough that someone was willing to bank on him being the starter the next 2 years. Saban apparently thinks there is a big difference.

How is talking about Saban and his comments detailing the thread? If we aren’t going to talk about Saban and his prior comments regarding NIL is the only purpose of this thread to shine the holy light on Saint Nick for being the most perfect being to ever live? Yes let’s all worship Nick Saban because he made some comment regarding one kids NIL demands. Let’s ignore the fact that probably every other HC in America has also ignored some ridiculous teenage demands when it comes to recruiting. Nick is not the first person to turn a recruit away for asking for ridiculous promises nor will he be the last. Every other coach just didn’t feel the need to broadcast it out of some sort of self righteous ego trip. 

11 hours ago, 514 said:

There is a big difference.  And this story also proves what lots of pundits have been accusing some schools of doing. Kids know that some universities have paid for LOI’s, so why not try it themselves. 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:34 AM, WETSU said:

Look I’m all for the second stance. I do not think college players should be given this much before they even play a down. 

NILs should have some rules about them, such as graduating from the university to get their money....not sure how contracts are written, but if I owned a business and was paying a NIL, that would be written into the contract. 

But will definately agree with your statement above. 

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

NILs should have some rules about them, such as graduating from the university to get their money....not sure how contracts are written, but if I owned a business and was paying a NIL, that would be written into the contract. 

But will definately agree with your statement above. 

That’s the aspect of this that’s being overlooked. These deals are not between the school and the kids. They are between the kids and outside businesses and the school is just a middle man. Technically I could pay an lsu player nil money to do a commercial for my business and have him say gig em at the end. 

15 hours ago, WETSU said:

How is talking about Saban and his comments detailing the thread? If we aren’t going to talk about Saban and his prior comments regarding NIL is the only purpose of this thread to shine the holy light on Saint Nick for being the most perfect being to ever live? Yes let’s all worship Nick Saban because he made some comment regarding one kids NIL demands. Let’s ignore the fact that probably every other HC in America has also ignored some ridiculous teenage demands when it comes to recruiting. Nick is not the first person to turn a recruit away for asking for ridiculous promises nor will he be the last. Every other coach just didn’t feel the need to broadcast it out of some sort of self righteous ego trip. 

Saban said what he said about his QBs NIL deal because he was making a point about how stupid it was to give someone that has not even been named the starter yet that amount of money. Saban does not like NIL. That is why he made the comment about this last little thing that came up. It makes other teams with resources able to get better quicker. So of course he is not going to like it. I don't need anything to make me like or dislike Saban. I respect the job he has done but he can whine a lot to. I do not think he has said anything about NIL that most people don't agree with.

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Texas paid Ewers 25 million to come to Texas. I also saw Anthony Hill was given 25% of all ticket sales in order to sign. Prove it didn’t happen or it’s true. 

that’s how stupid you sound. Running with childish internet rumors from other morons like yourself with no evidence other than quoting some other moron before you. 

You must have read those on Texags. :woot:

6 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Then magically landed a bunch of linemen.

It’s just a conspiracy.

But it’s in the open. Openly telling players you will pay them to sign is completely different than message board rumors alleging payments with no proof. That’s the real scam apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Damn! I’ve been off Smoaky for a week and come back to find out it’s turned into middle school girl drama. 

Better watch out, you'll lose your invitation to the annual Smoaky.com Sadie Hawkins Dance for talking like that. 

• LOL! 1

35 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Damn! I’ve been off Smoaky for a week and come back to find out it’s turned into middle school girl drama. 

I know I shouldn’t let it get to me, but I’m pretty fed up with the blatant lies about this stuff. If people want to run with the ridiculous 40mil in money for the class that’s one thing, but to bold face lie about statements from recruits that were never said is a completely different manner all together. 

I would like to take the time to thank our new College Thread sponsors Midol and Vagisil. Don’t let your downstairs discomfort make you a grumpy gus in the threads. Pop a pill and take a little squirt and you will be as right as a field full of daisy’s after a Summer’s Eve rain storm. 

• LOL! 1

Somebody posts A&M paid $30m for their class and everyone runs with it. Florida doesn’t have the money to pay a QB $7M ($13m if Miami had sued), kid gets out of his signed NLI and commits to his first choice school of Arizona State and it’s crickets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

I know I shouldn’t let it get to me, but I’m pretty fed up with the blatant lies about this stuff. If people want to run with the ridiculous 40mil in money for the class that’s one thing, but to bold face lie about statements from recruits that were never said is a completely different manner all together. 

Always consider the source. 

I actually don’t think this a bad thing. Imagine these small town schools having the local car dealerships giving these kids a couple grand to do a commercial. Or maybe the seniors get a couple hundred bucks from the feed store for coming out to a meet the mascot night and shaking hands. 

This could be a good thing for everyone involved if it is handled correctly. Put a cap on it or something. The issue will be when you have big time programs using this as a way to recruit talent in some way or another. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

I actually don’t think this a bad thing. Imagine these small town schools having the local car dealerships giving these kids a couple grand to do a commercial. Or maybe the seniors get a couple hundred bucks from the feed store for coming out to a meet the mascot night and shaking hands. 

This could be a good thing for everyone involved if it is handled correctly. Put a cap on it or something. The issue will be when you have big time programs using this as a way to recruit talent in some way or another. 

I think they’re trying to fix it so kids won’t do as Ewers did and leave early. Out of HS may come at 16 or 17 for some.  I believe this law may be intended to force HS kids to stay in HS

21 hours ago, WETSU said:

I disagree. Many programs already do this type of thing to help their programs. Appear in a local tv commercial for a car dealership, and the dealership pays for some team dinners or donates money to the activity account, new scoreboard, etc... If a feed store is going to pay some athletes, it needs to be because they worked there loading feed, stocking, etc...

All this will do if it passes is allow the talented to further themselves from the core of the team. Those players are already going to be rewarded - heavily now with the NIL in college. I can assure you that the majority of Texas high school coaches are heavily against this. You bring up a dealership giving a couple grand to a kid for appearing in a commercial. Did you know that many stipends for junior high football coaches are from $2500-4500 at those small towns your referring to? 

Kids are already more difficult to deal with today because of entitlement issues that I feel falls mostly on the 24/7 availability of social media. I feel like this will only compound the problem. 

PS - the title of the thread should be edited to "Proposed Change..."

Edited by Lhornfan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I disagree. Many programs already do this type of thing to help their programs. Appear in a local tv commercial for a car dealership, and the dealership pays for some team dinners or donates money to the activity account, new scoreboard, etc... If a feed store is going to pay some athletes, it needs to be because they worked there loading feed, stocking, etc...

All this will do if it passes is allow the talented to further themselves from the core of the team. Those players are already going to be rewarded - heavily now with the NIL in college. I can assure you that the majority of Texas high school coaches are heavily against this. You bring up a dealership giving a couple grand to a kid for appearing in a commercial. Did you know that many stipends for junior high football coaches are from $2500-4500 at those small towns your referring to? 

Kids are already more difficult to deal with today because of entitlement issues that I feel falls mostly on the 24/7 availability of social media. I feel like this will only compound the problem. 

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

I think you’re assuming I want this. I don’t. I don’t even want the college kids getting paid. But it’s going to happen eventually whether we like it or not. 

As far as the stipends and all that… I don’t care about that. These coaches are extended and fired on the backs of these players. I really don’t give a crap how much they make or if they are for or against it. Nobody is going to take that stance you have when a coach gets a raise after a deep playoff run on a team loaded with talent. It’s just the nature of this profession. 

• Thumbs Down 1

I also believe entitlement is an issue because of parents and how these kids are raised. Then getting paid is not going to magically start ruining them. the issue is already there now. 

But like I said I know it seems like I’m for paying these kids. I’m not. I just want a better system in place at the high school level that is regulated and capped which will make it easier than what the college game is going through. 

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..