💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

On 2/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, WETSU said:

I actually don’t think this a bad thing. Imagine these small town schools having the local car dealerships giving these kids a couple grand to do a commercial. Or maybe the seniors get a couple hundred bucks from the feed store for coming out to a meet the mascot night and shaking hands. 

This could be a good thing for everyone involved if it is handled correctly. Put a cap on it or something. The issue will be when you have big time programs using this as a way to recruit talent in some way or another. 

That aleady happens everyday with no consequence most of the time.

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That aleady happens everyday with no consequence most of the time.

Oh I know. And I know there is no way of really ending that because the haves will still always outspend the have nots. I’m strictly talking about allowing some high school kids to make a couple of thousand dollars using their talents. Set strict caps at like 2-5k and it could do something good for these kids. In a lot of towns high school football is life. I see no problem with that star QB of a school getting to cash in on his hard work his senior year by getting a couple grand for being a “hometown hero” type of thing. 

I get the negative side of this, but if you put strict limits in place it’s really not that big of deal imo. 

14 hours ago, WETSU said:

Oh I know. And I know there is no way of really ending that because the haves will still always outspend the have nots. I’m strictly talking about allowing some high school kids to make a couple of thousand dollars using their talents. Set strict caps at like 2-5k and it could do something good for these kids. In a lot of towns high school football is life. I see no problem with that star QB of a school getting to cash in on his hard work his senior year by getting a couple grand for being a “hometown hero” type of thing. 

I get the negative side of this, but if you put strict limits in place it’s really not that big of deal imo. 

You already have parents influencing coaching staffs as it is.  That would just make that even worse.  Everybody’s kid would be the best player on the team and need more touches.  

23 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

You already have parents influencing coaching staffs as it is.  That would just make that even worse.  Everybody’s kid would be the best player on the team and need more touches.  

Again, that stuff is already happening with or without the kids being able to earn a little side money. This is the world we live in.

I also think that you guys are misunderstanding what NIL is for. It’s not designed to be just a pay these kids to do nothing just because they are players. It’s designed to allow them to make money from the name image and likeness. If the local restaurant wants to put a teen model on their billboard and have them do an advertising commercial, they are going to pay them for their time filming and for their rights to use their NIL.  Why should the same rules not apply to athletes? If Bubbas beer and seafood wants to have the seniors from the state title football team do a few meet and greets to draw customers, what’s the harm in them each getting a couple hundred to sit there and sign autographs and shake hands? 

People don’t need to get caught up in the “well players are entitled” side of this. They are already entitled and the same parents will Still be griping about playing time regardless of if these kids get paid. This is something that could be a big deal to that hardworking kid that has earned the roll of being marketable just as much as it is deigned for the entitled problem kids. 

Edited by WETSU

On 2/5/2023 at 3:13 PM, WETSU said:

As far as the stipends and all that… I don’t care about that. These coaches are extended and fired on the backs of these players. I really don’t give a crap how much they make or if they are for or against it. Nobody is going to take that stance you have when a coach gets a raise after a deep playoff run on a team loaded with talent. It’s just the nature of this profession. 

I'm not talking about the head coaches that will get raises or extensions due to success. I'm talking about position coaches that also teach math, science, history, etc... Depending on the size of the school, their stipend for football could range from $2,000 - $10,000 with most around the the middle of those numbers. Coordinators and some staff usually get extra days to also help with their salary. For you to think they are extended and fired "on the backs of these players" seems to take away the value that good coaches can add to a team or program. 

As for the idea that this is the world we live in. It doesn't have to be. If Bubba's Beer and Seafood wants to have seniors do a meet and greet to draw customers, they can simply hire them and pay them pretty much whatever they want. I've worked with high school kids for 30+ years, and I'm telling you that when some kids get special treatment resentment builds in the program. The hometown hero at QB isn't going to do much unless the O-line blocks for him and the receivers catch the ball. Kids that shine are rewarded with opportunities to play at the next level. I'm not gullible enough to believe that this doesn't already happen to some degree in high school. I've had parents that donate large sums of money "hoping" their boy gets all the breaks or plays on the varsity when he should be JV. But it has not, and IMO does not need to be something similar to NCAA. 

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I'm not talking about the head coaches that will get raises or extensions due to success. I'm talking about position coaches that also teach math, science, history, etc... Depending on the size of the school, their stipend for football could range from $2,000 - $10,000 with most around the the middle of those numbers. Coordinators and some staff usually get extra days to also help with their salary. For you to think they are extended and fired "on the backs of these players" seems to take away the value that good coaches can add to a team or program. 

As for the idea that this is the world we live in. It doesn't have to be. If Bubba's Beer and Seafood wants to have seniors do a meet and greet to draw customers, they can simply hire them and pay them pretty much whatever they want. I've worked with high school kids for 30+ years, and I'm telling you that when some kids get special treatment resentment builds in the program. The hometown hero at QB isn't going to do much unless the O-line blocks for him and the receivers catch the ball. Kids that shine are rewarded with opportunities to play at the next level. I'm not gullible enough to believe that this doesn't already happen to some degree in high school. I've had parents that donate large sums of money "hoping" their boy gets all the breaks or plays on the varsity when he should be JV. But it has not, and IMO does not need to be something similar to NCAA. 

I hear what you are saying, just respectfully disagree with most of it. I’ve been around plenty of coaches that are extremely talented from an Xs and Os standpoint but do not have talent in the program and get fired because of it. I’ve also experienced the exact opposite to be true where a program is littered with talent and a mediocre staff made then champions.  Is there value in good coaches, absolutely. But your statement about the stipend was ridiculous. For starters it has nothing to do with kids and getting paid it’s a totally separate issue. Secondly it’s irrelevant when their jobs are determined by success which largely is placed on the athletes natural ability not the coaches. How many normal teachers are struggling because they are excellent teachers but have a large portion of their class that just doesn’t care about school at all and therefore test scores are low. It’s not always the teachers fault. Coincidentally there are some very mediocre teachers out there lucky that they have inherited students with work ethic and desire to be Intelligent and they thrive in spite of the teacher not because of them. 

Your statements just don’t hold much water with me because this entire profession is built on results driven by the success of players/students. Nobody keeps staff members or losing coaches because they are good guys or they are smart and hardworking but the team just isn’t ever athletic enough…

Like I’ve said I’m not saying I want it to be high school players getting paid crazy amounts of money. I just disagree with your stance on entitlement and/or coaches salaries being motivating factors. Those are problems on their own that have nothing to do with NIL. 

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

3...2...1 He calls you a punk on the internet..

I was actually just wondering how a group of grown men would be so willing to believe an internet rumor despite no evidence to back it up and tons of evidence disputing it. I don’t have to call anyone a punk. Everyone here knows you three are like a woman scorned when it comes to A&M/Jimbo. I get why you’re that way, just wondering why the other two. Could be similar reasons? 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, WETSU said:

So there aren’t any Aggies from a class that allegedly was paid 30-40 mil? 

And just to provide more insight to the NIL situation, I thought that the class that was suppose to have gotten that much money would have been in the class of '22--is that not correct? 

Well here are your top 10 NIL earners in 2022  and OMG--not a single Aggie on the list.......Facts before fiction......

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-10-nil-deals-in-2022/

1) Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

2) C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

3) Caleb Williams, QB, USC

4) Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina

5) Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

6) Will Anderson Jr., OLB, Alabama

7) Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

😎 Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas

9) Jordan Addison, WR, USC

10) Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

And just to provide more insight to the NIL situation, I thought that the class that was suppose to have gotten that much money would have been in the class of '22--is that not correct? 

Well here are your top 10 NIL earners in 2022  and OMG--not a single Aggie on the list.......Facts before fiction......

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-10-nil-deals-in-2022/

1) Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

2) C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

3) Caleb Williams, QB, USC

4) Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina

5) Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

6) Will Anderson Jr., OLB, Alabama

7) Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

😎 Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas

9) Jordan Addison, WR, USC

10) Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU

It hurts everyone’s feelings that Jimbo channeled his inner Mack brown and won the trail. He would have also had an elite class this past year had it not been for the slander and a 5-7 season. Losing and the other coaches/media telling lies about NIL convinced a whole bunch of kids that A&M was getting paid. When they weren’t offered stupid amounts of money they were turned off. 

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..