DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION II
Texas High
Marshall
Nacogdoches
Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant
Hallsville
Whitehouse

I'll get the 2023 schedules.....2022 recaps....and previews posted in the next days.

Spring ball is just around the corner!

Aug 18 (Scrimmages)
Texas High Vs. Longview
Marshall Vs. Tyler Legacy
Mount Pleasant Vs. Greenville
Chapel Hill Vs. Hallsville
Pine Tree Vs Gilmer
Nacogdoches Vs. Henderson
Whitehouse Vs. Lindale

Aug 25
Marshall Vs. Tyler
Nacogdoches Vs. Palestine

Whitehouse Vs. North Forney
Frisco Lone Star Vs. Texas High
Pine Tree Vs. Van
Terrell Vs. Hallsville

Mt Pleasant Vs. Pittsburgh

Sep 01
Longview Vs Marshall
Lufkin Vs. Nacogdoches
Jacksonville Vs. Whitehouse
Colleyville Heritage Vs. Texas High (Neutral Location)
Lindale Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Henderson

Sulphur Springs Vs. Mount Pleasant

Sep 08
Marshall Vs. Henderson
Benton (La) Vs. Texas High
Lumberton Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse Vs. Corsicana
Kilgore Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville Vs. Sulphur Springs 
Mt Pleasant Vs. Liberty Eylau

Sep 15
Marshall Vs. Carthage
Texas High Vs. Tyler Legacy
Nacogdoches Vs. Chapel Hill
Henderson Vs. Whitehouse
Pine Tree Vs. Jacksonville
Kilgore Vs. Hallsville

Frisco Emerson Vs. Mount Pleasant

Sep 22
Marshall Vs. Pine Tree
Texas High Vs. Hallsville
Nacogdoches Vs. Whitehouse
Mt Pleasant- Bye

Sep 29
Hallsville Vs. Marshall
Mt Pleasant Vs. Texas High
Pine Tree Vs. Nacogdoches
Whitehouse- Bye

Oct 06
Marshall Vs. Mount Pleasant
Whitehouse Vs. Pine Tree
Nacogdoches Vs. Hallsville
Texas High- Bye

Oct 13
Texas High Vs. Marshall
Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse
Mount Pleasant Vs. Nacogdoches
Pine Tree- Bye

Oct 20
Nacogdoches Vs. Texas High
Whitehouse Vs. Mount Pleasant
Pine Tree Vs. Hallsville 
Marshall- Bye

Oct 27
Marshall Vs. Nacogdoches
Texas High Vs. Whitehouse
Mt Pleasant Vs. Pine Tree
Hallsville- Bye

Nov 03
Pine Tree Vs. Texas High
Whitehouse Vs. Marshall
Hallsville Vs. Mount Pleasant
Nacogdoches- Bye

November 10- BI-DISTRICT PLAYOFF
November 17- AREA
November 24- REGION SEMIFINALS
December 01- Quarterfinals
December 08- Semi-Finals
December 13-16 State Championships

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RKS21 said:

Timeline on Nac

Sneaking up on March...if they don't get someone in quick...they may not get spring ball done.  Hard to do that when a coach is still building his staff.  Most of those guys have to finish out their contract where they are.

And TBH...I don't even know that Nac does Spring ball Vs. getting the extra scrimmage in August.

Every single school in the district has a coach that has been there less than 3 seasons with the exception of Texas High.  He's the most tenured coach in 8-5A entering his 7th season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, Mavchamp said:

Sneaking up on March...if they don't get someone in quick...they may not get spring ball done.  Hard to do that when a coach is still building his staff.  Most of those guys have to finish out their contract where they are.

And TBH...I don't even know that Nac does Spring ball Vs. getting the extra scrimmage in August.

Every single school in the district has a coach that has been there less than 3 seasons with the exception of Texas High.  He's the most tenured coach in 8-5A entering his 7th season.

Nac is on schedule to do spring ball this year under the interim coach. 

47 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Nac is on schedule to do spring ball this year under the interim coach. 

Unless they are planning on hiring the interim for the 23 season doing spring ball under an interim IMO would be a major mistake

Edited by MattStepp
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Unless they are planning on hiring the interim for the 23 season doing spring ball under an interim IMO would be a major mistake

My thoughts exactly.  If the interim doesn’t practice the systems the incoming coach is bringing… it’s wasted time. Let the incoming coach have the extra time in August to install his program.

Either way…. Sounds like Nac is going to start 2023 behind the 8-ball 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

My thoughts exactly.  If the interim doesn’t practice the systems the incoming coach is bringing… it’s wasted time. Let the incoming coach have the extra time in August to install his program.

Either way…. Sounds like Nac is going to start 2023 behind the 8-ball 

I’m not a fan either but at this point it is what it is hopefully by April we will have someone in place.

With less than 30 kids in the Varsity-JV off season program, Nac is already behind the 8 ball. The next 3 years will be bleak at Nacogdoches High in football. Someone is going to have to come in and start recruiting at the Jr. High and get the kids to play football and not go straight baseball, basketball, and soccer. Nac cannot survive if kids are not playing multiple sports. Individual sport recruiting has taken over the last 3-4 years. It is a shame but this is what is happening. When the cats away, the mice will play. You need an AD- Head Football coach that is involved and present at all times. 

Good luck to the new staff, they will need it. If they can get the kids out, they can compete, eventually.

Unless someone just makes a crazy turnaround from last season....it looks like Texas High, Marshall, and Whitehouse will be the top dogs again in 2023.

Does Texas High bounce back from a poor second half of the season?
Does Marshall continue its upward trajectory under Alvarez & the Wing-T which took off last season?
Does WH match/better their 8-2 mark from last season?
Does Hallsville fill the void left by Mosely who was Mr. Everything for the Bobcats in 2022?
Does Pine Tree bounce back after back to back disappointing seasons?
Does MP finally get things on track?
Does Nac overcome a tumultuous winter after a wildly disappointing '22 season?  

Can any of them get a playoff win in 2023?

With spring drills still pending...there could be a lot of changes between now and what we could see come August when Marshall opens against Tyler.

I compiled a list of returning varsity players...and possible up-and-coming underclassmen that could contribute this fall...... this isn't counting any transfers, which I've heard of a couple that could add to the roster.

Uriel Coronado- K Soph
Collier Slone- QB- Senior 
Raijon Sims- WR/DB- Junior
Isaiah Bush- RB- Junior
Jaylin Brown- WR/DB- Junior
Alton Henderson- RB- Soph
Judson Illingsworth- TE/LB
Dallan Shaw- WR/DB- Senior
Jordan Williams- OLB- Senior
Michael Holmes- TE/DL- Senior
Semaj Gatson- RB/DB- Junior
Kenneth Villereal- RB/OLB- Senior
Joseph Bracey- OL/DL- Senior
Dameon Smith- DB- Junior
Kaiden Rodgers- OLB- Junior
Keyunta Lias- RB- Junior
Caleb Hygh- RB/LB- Junior
Javonta Robertsen- LB- Junior
Landon Jones- LB/TE- Soph
Eli Emery- LB/TE- Soph
Dayne Fergeson- QB- Junior
David Carlisle- OL- Junior
Jayden Singleton- OL- Junior
Hudson Hammell- OL- Junior
Jaden Reaves- OL- Junior
Clay Pena- OL Junior
Charles Morrison- OL/DL- Junior
Eric Perkins- OL- Soph
De'Treyvon Goudeau- DB- Junior
Mon'ta Haynes- WR- Soph
Jeremiah McGowan- WR- Junior
Russell Crawford- TE/OLB- Soph
Modesto Serrato- K- Senior
Tre'von Tucker DL/TE- Junior

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Unless someone just makes a crazy turnaround from last season....it looks like Texas High, Marshall, and Whitehouse will be the top dogs again in 2023.

Does Marshall continue its upward trajectory under Alvarez & the Wing-T which took off last season?
Does WH match/better their 8-2 mark from last season?
Does Hallsville fill the void left by Mosely who was Mr. Everything for the Bobcats in 2022?

Can any of them get a playoff win in 2023?

Yes, they will be better. 

Yes, he is a good coach and established a better than expected foundation year one. Not sure they can beat Texas High to win district but will be great game. 

Does WH match/better their 8-2 mark from last season? No, they can't sustain this. 
This is my sleeper upset team for the district top 2. Could see a sneaky win over Marshall or Texas High to cause chaos. 

They will struggle. Mosely was a star and did everything. They have size but have lacked skill and speed in years past and they will return to earth next year. 

They are in the same boat as Mount Pleasant. They make too many mistakes and cost themselves on both sides of the ball. They will battle MP and Hallsville for four spot. 

Possibly because of the drop-off from top 3 to 4th spot. Too many self-inflicted penalties and lack of discipline. 

Nac is a dumpster fire because of their district leadership. Half-woke and half-asleep at the same time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomlandry said:

Yes, they will be better. 

Yes, he is a good coach and established a better than expected foundation year one. Not sure they can beat Texas High to win district but will be great game. 

Does WH match/better their 8-2 mark from last season? No, they can't sustain this. 
This is my sleeper upset team for the district top 2. Could see a sneaky win over Marshall or Texas High to cause chaos. 

They will struggle. Mosely was a star and did everything. They have size but have lacked skill and speed in years past and they will return to earth next year. 

They are in the same boat as Mount Pleasant. They make too many mistakes and cost themselves on both sides of the ball. They will battle MP and Hallsville for four spot. 

Possibly because of the drop-off from top 3 to 4th spot. Too many self-inflicted penalties and lack of discipline. 

Nac is a dumpster fire because of their district leadership. Half-woke and half-asleep at the same time. 

Hard to argue against any of your points.

I agree with you that THS will bounce back.  They inexplicably struggled at the end of the season.  Nearly lost to Marshall...did lose to Whitehouse....and I still can't wrap my brain around them losing to Terrell...who backed into the playoffs almost by accident.  But the fact remains... they have been the top of the district ever since they dropped down to Div II.  Hard to bet against them.

I do agree things gelled together offensively for Marshall much quicker than anyone expected.  No one in the district stopped us offensively.... Mavs averaged 39.1 PPG in district play.  BUT..... we have a LOT to replace....especially on the OL.  We will be rebuilding the defense this season too....but our defense really struggled at times last year against the run... particularly Vs. Hallsville and Texas High.  The system will be more familiar this season, but we will be very young on the OL and DL.  Coaches will have to grow up this talent in a hurry. 

Whitehouse will cruise again with their cupcake non-district schedule.  Offensively it looks like they will be very good again this season..... question for them always seems to come down to defense...which hasn't been their strong point for the last several years.  If they can get a decent defense.... their offense can get some wins.  It would be wise for Texarkana and Marshall to not overlook them.

I have a hard time believing Hallsville will pick up where they left off with Mosley gone.  He was literally their ATL.  He passed and ran like mad all season.  He was no doubt the district offensive MVP.  Guys like him are generational and rarely are they replaced.  Even with their success though, Hallsville's defense was giving up something like 45 PPG.  All this is adding up to me that the Bobcats will come back to Earth this season.  But they will still challenge for a playoff.  I just don't see them upsetting THS, Marshall, or Whitehouse.

Pine Tree...... their upward trend that brought them their first playoff win since Jesus was a child in 2020 looked like the Pirates were going to become a top contender in the district.  But 2021 and 2022 were both complete disasters.  PT is loaded with athletes....they just can't seem to get it to all come together.  They have a talented RB coming back....but not sure about any other studs.  Defense is always an issue for them.   They should challenge for the #4 slot.... maybe a loss to Hallsville in OT won't keep them out this season like it did last year.

Mount Pleasant always seems like a broken record to me.  Lack of depth and turnovers just kill what generally appears to be a good offensive team.  Penalties at the most inopportune times were a huge issue last season too.  But the turnovers are what really killed them.  In the spring and early fall it looked like their depth issues were resolved with higher numbers...but i heard it reared its head again late in the season.  Wlll it be an issue again in 2023?  Get the turnover issue resolved and MP is a contender.

Nac.....I don't even know where to begin.  Most felt the Dragons were going to become district title contenders after the success of the 2020 season.  But 2021 was ugly and they backed into the playoffs.  Then last season was a complete disaster.  Not only did they only win 1 game... they had all sorts of issues ranging from multiple QB's to multiple offensive schemes to perhaps one of the worst defenses in school history.  Numbers became an issue too.... as they had to cancel JV games because they were moving players up to varsity... and there was no freshman B team by seasons end.  Now they are coachless headed into March.  Hearing the interim will hold spring ball instead giving an extra week in August to whoever gets the job.  What a mess.

My early predictions:

1.  Texas High
2.  Marshall
3.  Whitehouse
4.  Pine Tree/Hallsville/Mount Pleasant
7.  Nacogdoches

Taking THS for the district title again.  I think Marshall or WH could be long-shots for the top spot if the Tigers struggle again this season.....but history says they will be fine.  They have the most tenured and stable coaching staff in the district....and it's not even close.

WH Vs. Marshall game in the season finale could very well be for the 2/3 spot.  Huge for Home/Away for the playoffs.   Going to see how good that Wing-T looks in year #2 for Marshall. Defense, anyone?

Any order of finish between PT, Hallsville, and MP would be appropriate IMHO.  I think PT has the most athletes of the three.....but I think Hallsville has better coaching of the three......and MP is the most "unknown" of the three.  They want to run a NASCAR type offense....but do they have the personnel to run it?

I hate to call Nac a cluster..... because I know there are some fantastic athletes on their roster....but with dwindling numbers, a lack of excitement/urgency from the community, and a whole lot of negativity surrounding the program....how do you bounce back from all that?  Gonna be an uphill battle for the Dragons in 2023 it appears.  

• Like 2

Offensive leaders from each team that are returning

Texas High
(Jr) David Potter- QB was 88-158 for 1515 yards passing with 15 TD's and 5 INT's
(Jr) Javari Johnson- RB had 1070 yards rushing on 159 carries with 12 TD's
(So) Tradarien Ball- RB had 739 yards rushing on 128 carries with 11 TD's also 221 receiving & 2 TD's
(Sr) Tristan Powell- RB had 267 yards rushing on 46 carries with 2 TD's|
(Sr) Brandon Halls- WR had 641 yards receiving on 41 catches for 7 TD's
(Sr) TJ Gray- WR had 731 yards receiving on 37 catches and 7 TD's

Can we say loaded? 

It come down to their OL it seems.  QB isn't very mobile...but with RB's like he's got and a stellar WR corps he doesn't need to be mobile.  If the OL can hold the pocket and open some holes.... the Tigers look loaded to the teeth on offense.

Marshall
(Sr) Collier Slone- QB was 101-181 for 1035 yards passing with 7 TD's and 5 INT's
(Jr) Semaj Gatson- RB had 492 yards rushing on 55 carries with 5 TD's 
(So) LJ Jones- RB played on Freshman team all season.  Played varsity Vs. Crandall in playoff
(Jr) Judson Illingsworth- WR had 33y yards receiving on 35 catches and 5 TD's
(Jr) Rajon Sims- WR- played on JV most of the season

The Mavs lose the rushing yards of JQ Davis (1,935) and Bird Robinson's (870) and their 25 and 11 scores respectively.  Gatson looked great in limited action as the #3 man in 2022...but can he be THE GUY?  There was some promise at RB on both the Freshman and JV teams, so I'm thinking Marshall will be running back by committee.  The WR corps will almost be a total rebuild.  But none of this matters unless the staff can pull together an OL that was senior-laden last year.

Whitehouse
(Sr) Josh Green- QB was 165-261 for 2500 yards with 23 TD's and 7 INT's.  Also had 837 yards rushing with an additional 17 scores.
(Sr) Iven Lacy- RB had 580 yards on 97 carries for 9 scores  He also had 151 yards receiving
(Sr) Braylen Jackson- WR had 568 yards receiving on 35 catches and 4 TD's

Mr. Green makes WH go. 3,300+ all purpose yards and 40 TD's is eye-popping.  He is the leading passer and rusher.  The Wildcats will miss WR's Jermod McCoy and Decarton Wilson who combined for over 1700 yards and 19 scores for WH.  And of course.... the OL will determine the success of Green and Co in the backfield.

Hallsville
(Sr)  Kendavian Johnson- RB had 103 yards on 19 carries 
(Sr) Ethan Miller- WR had 669 yards on 38 catches for 9 TD's
(Sr) Sawyer Dunagan- WR had 73 yards on 6 catches

Losing QB Jace Mosley is huge for the Bobcats.  He accounted for 2171 of their 2202 passing yards (98.5%) and 1463 of their 2165 rushing yards (67.5%).... he accounted for 83.2% of Hallsville's total offense.  Only 2 other Bobcats had over 100 yards rushing.... Johnson who had 103 will return.  The other graduated with Mosley.  Three of the top 4 WR's also graduated... leaving only Miller returning.  All other WR's had less than 100 yards on the season.  Questions are....who will be the QB and RB to replace Mosley?

Pine Tree
(Jr) MJ Cates- QB was 24-46 for 496 yards with 4 TD's and 4 INT's
(Jr) Keveun Palmer- QB/RB
(Sr) Tre Brown- RB
(Jr) L’marion Hunter- RB- 445 yards and 7 touchdowns

WR Jonathan Fuller was their go-to man and he graduated.  Scrappy RB Jaylynn Robinson also graduated.  PT had a three man rotation at QB most of the season...but it appears that Cates finally won the spot late in the season.  Hunter will return to the backfield with his 445 yards and Tre Brown.... stats?  Not a lot coming back for PT on offense....but defense might be their strength in 2023.

Mount Pleasant
(Sr) Mason McMinn- QB
I literally can't find anything on MP.....  anyone's guess.  Hard to find a full roster.  No stats to be found. 

Nacogdoches
Makail Lockett- QB- was 61-139 for 889 yards with 6 TD' and 6 INT's
Quincharvis Calhoun- RB had 181 yards on 41 carries
Jakiron Pruitt- RB had 180 yards on 38 carries 
Lajarion Leadon- WR had 245 yards on 18 catches for 1 TD
Jaylon Brown- WR had 201 yards on 11 catches for 2 TD's

Nac used a three-man rotation at QB last season and two of them will be gone, leaving only Lockett as the heir apparent.  The Dragons used a stable of 14 RB's over the season as well.  Three of the top four RB's will be gone.  Calhoun and Pruitt were the only ones to have more than 100 yards on the season retutning.  2 of the top 4 WR's will be back, while two will graduate.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Hard to argue against any of your points.

I agree with you that THS will bounce back.  They inexplicably struggled at the end of the season.  Nearly lost to Marshall...did lose to Whitehouse....and I still can't wrap my brain around them losing to Terrell...who backed into the playoffs almost by accident.  But the fact remains... they have been the top of the district ever since they dropped down to Div II.  Hard to bet against them.

I do agree things gelled together offensively for Marshall much quicker than anyone expected.  No one in the district stopped us offensively.... Mavs averaged 39.1 PPG in district play.  BUT..... we have a LOT to replace....especially on the OL.  We will be rebuilding the defense this season too....but our defense really struggled at times last year against the run... particularly Vs. Hallsville and Texas High.  The system will be more familiar this season, but we will be very young on the OL and DL.  Coaches will have to grow up this talent in a hurry. 

Whitehouse will cruise again with their cupcake non-district schedule.  Offensively it looks like they will be very good again this season..... question for them always seems to come down to defense...which hasn't been their strong point for the last several years.  If they can get a decent defense.... their offense can get some wins.  It would be wise for Texarkana and Marshall to not overlook them.

I have a hard time believing Hallsville will pick up where they left off with Mosley gone.  He was literally their ATL.  He passed and ran like mad all season.  He was no doubt the district offensive MVP.  Guys like him are generational and rarely are they replaced.  Even with their success though, Hallsville's defense was giving up something like 45 PPG.  All this is adding up to me that the Bobcats will come back to Earth this season.  But they will still challenge for a playoff.  I just don't see them upsetting THS, Marshall, or Whitehouse.

Pine Tree...... their upward trend that brought them their first playoff win since Jesus was a child in 2020 looked like the Pirates were going to become a top contender in the district.  But 2021 and 2022 were both complete disasters.  PT is loaded with athletes....they just can't seem to get it to all come together.  They have a talented RB coming back....but not sure about any other studs.  Defense is always an issue for them.   They should challenge for the #4 slot.... maybe a loss to Hallsville in OT won't keep them out this season like it did last year.

Mount Pleasant always seems like a broken record to me.  Lack of depth and turnovers just kill what generally appears to be a good offensive team.  Penalties at the most inopportune times were a huge issue last season too.  But the turnovers are what really killed them.  In the spring and early fall it looked like their depth issues were resolved with higher numbers...but i heard it reared its head again late in the season.  Wlll it be an issue again in 2023?  Get the turnover issue resolved and MP is a contender.

Nac.....I don't even know where to begin.  Most felt the Dragons were going to become district title contenders after the success of the 2020 season.  But 2021 was ugly and they backed into the playoffs.  Then last season was a complete disaster.  Not only did they only win 1 game... they had all sorts of issues ranging from multiple QB's to multiple offensive schemes to perhaps one of the worst defenses in school history.  Numbers became an issue too.... as they had to cancel JV games because they were moving players up to varsity... and there was no freshman B team by seasons end.  Now they are coachless headed into March.  Hearing the interim will hold spring ball instead giving an extra week in August to whoever gets the job.  What a mess.

My early predictions:

1.  Texas High
2.  Marshall
3.  Whitehouse
4.  Pine Tree/Hallsville/Mount Pleasant
7.  Nacogdoches

Taking THS for the district title again.  I think Marshall or WH could be long-shots for the top spot if the Tigers struggle again this season.....but history says they will be fine.  They have the most tenured and stable coaching staff in the district....and it's not even close.

WH Vs. Marshall game in the season finale could very well be for the 2/3 spot.  Huge for Home/Away for the playoffs.   Going to see how good that Wing-T looks in year #2 for Marshall. Defense, anyone?

Any order of finish between PT, Hallsville, and MP would be appropriate IMHO.  I think PT has the most athletes of the three.....but I think Hallsville has better coaching of the three......and MP is the most "unknown" of the three.  They want to run a NASCAR type offense....but do they have the personnel to run it?

I hate to call Nac a cluster..... because I know there are some fantastic athletes on their roster....but with dwindling numbers, a lack of excitement/urgency from the community, and a whole lot of negativity surrounding the program....how do you bounce back from all that?  Gonna be an uphill battle for the Dragons in 2023 it appears.  

Nac is a cluster at no fault of their fans or kids. I don't take your view as anything but factual. For years I have seen their mismanagement cost kids. WOKE and asleep at the same time.

Agree with your points above. Can't wait until spring! 

47 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Nac is a cluster at no fault of their fans or kids. I don't take your view as anything but factual. For years I have seen their mismanagement cost kids. WOKE and asleep at the same time.

Agree with your points above. Can't wait until spring! 

Nac’s support of the football team has always been lackluster to me.  Even when they’ve had pretty good teams.  I’ve NEVER seen Dragon Stadium more than half full on the home side.  And it generally empties out after halftime.  I’ve been to two of their playoff games and neither were exceptional in attendance.  One of the last schools to get turf.  Never seen them travel well… even for big games. 

Imho athletes pick up on all this lackadaisical attitude from the community and it trickles down. 

Just my perception through the decades of me watching Nac from the outside looking in.  

Nac’s support of the football team has always been lackluster to me.  Even when they’ve had pretty good teams.  I’ve NEVER seen Dragon Stadium more than half full on the home side.  And it generally empties out after halftime.  I’ve been to two of their playoff games and neither were exceptional in attendance.  One of the last schools to get turf.  Never seen them travel well… even for big games. 

Imho athletes pick up on all this lackadaisical attitude from the community and it trickles down. 

Just my perception through the decades of me watching Nac from the outside looking in.  

The band rules the town. Football doesn’t get the help that it needs.

1 hour ago, nacdragon07 said:

The band rules the town. Football doesn’t get the help that it needs.

In fairness.... I think Nac consistently has the best military band in East Texas.  JMHO.  I know some will disagree.....but I've been to MOST of the region marching contests the last 20 years and Nac is nothing but consistent.  I've never once thought they were a borderline 1st/2nd division.  Always a solid 1.  Not a single other 5A/6A school in ETX can say that IMHO.

I've seen Nac go wild over baseball more than once.....and a couple of times with basketball.  Soccer as well.  I remember a fantastic soccer game between Nac and Marshall (2016 ish?) that probably had 1500 fans.  Never seen anything else like it in ETX aside from the LP/MP soccer game at Rose a few years back.

But even in (2006?) there wasn't a frenzy over football.  I was at the playoff game in Tyler Vs. Texas High.  Wasn't the first playoff game in like 14 years?  I was shocked how poorly it was attended by Nac......  

Perception is reality....and my perception is that the community doesn't support football.  I realize admin has made some atrocious decisions to make things worse...but at the end of the day...if the community support isn't there..... IMHO it affects participation, work ethic, and expectations for the athletes and the staff.  

2 hours ago, RKS21 said:

Population almost 32K, how much of that is SFA? 

33 % Poverty , 14K Unemployed in 2020. 

Could be some of the issues 

I wasn't aware that college students counted in the town's population..... if that's so....WOW for Nac.  SFA has an enrollment of just under 12,0000.  If only half of them live on campus that drops Nac's population to about 26K...... which is about the size of Marshall (24K).  Depending on the residency rate of their students that could possibly drop Nac's population to the low 20's.

Nac's 33% poverty seems REALLY high for ETX.   Is that correct?  Yikes..... that puts them 11% higher than anyone else in 9-5A.  

Hallsville (7.4%)
Whitehouse (8.6%)
Tyler (12.6%)
Longview (19.3%)
Marshall (20.2%)
Lufkin (20.9%)
Mount Pleasant (22.8%)
Jacksonville (23.2%)
Texarkana (24.0%)

No doubt it plays a part if that's correct.

Poor admin decisions, poor community support, poor economics....... that's a lot to overcome.  BUT... there have been schools with weaker demographics than Nac succeed at football.  It's not an excuse....but should be a reason to work harder.  Just going to take some time and dedication....which either the admin or the staff has been unwilling to stand pat long enough to build anything.  

• Like 1

In fairness.... I think Nac consistently has the best military band in East Texas.  JMHO.  I know some will disagree.....but I've been to MOST of the region marching contests the last 20 years and Nac is nothing but consistent.  I've never once thought they were a borderline 1st/2nd division.  Always a solid 1.  Not a single other 5A/6A school in ETX can say that IMHO.

I've seen Nac go wild over baseball more than once.....and a couple of times with basketball.  Soccer as well.  I remember a fantastic soccer game between Nac and Marshall (2016 ish?) that probably had 1500 fans.  Never seen anything else like it in ETX aside from the LP/MP soccer game at Rose a few years back.

But even in (2006?) there wasn't a frenzy over football.  I was at the playoff game in Tyler Vs. Texas High.  Wasn't the first playoff game in like 14 years?  I was shocked how poorly it was attended by Nac......  

Perception is reality....and my perception is that the community doesn't support football.  I realize admin has made some atrocious decisions to make things worse...but at the end of the day...if the community support isn't there..... IMHO it affects participation, work ethic, and expectations for the athletes and the staff.  

That playoff Crowd in 06 if I remember was larger then the ones in 13 14 and 16. As big as rose is we weren’t going to sell it out. The other sports draw well. The fans travel well. Football sadly it’s a lot of band parents and they leave after halftime. The biggest crowd we draw is the Lufkin game.

4 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

That playoff Crowd in 06 if I remember was larger then the ones in 13 14 and 16. As big as rose is we weren’t going to sell it out. The other sports draw well. The fans travel well. Football sadly it’s a lot of band parents and they leave after halftime. The biggest crowd we draw is the Lufkin game.

That 2014 playoff game Vs Marshall was brutally cold.  There wasn’t a huge crowd for either team that night…. But I do remember being shocked at the tiny Nac crowd.  And they had beat LP that season IIRC.  

That was a fun season because all the south district folks predicted a sweep, but the North district won 3 of the 4 playoff games. 

Fun times.  Fun times.  

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

That 2014 playoff game Vs Marshall was brutally cold.  There wasn’t a huge crowd for either team that night…. But I do remember being shocked at the tiny Nac crowd.  And they had beat LP that season IIRC.  

That was a fun season because all the south district folks predicted a sweep, but the North district won 3 of the 4 playoff games. 

Fun times.  Fun times.  

Yeah Nac should have won at least one of those playoff games but we didn’t. Then we ran into Huntsville twice and Montgomery. We are still looking for our first playoff win since 92.

19 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah Nac should have won at least one of those playoff games but we didn’t. Then we ran into Huntsville twice and Montgomery. We are still looking for our first playoff win since 92.

I've been pulling to see Nac and PT to become contenders for years.

I'd much rather meaningful games be against them than Hallsville and Whitehouse....JMHO.

• Mavchamp changed the title to District 8-5A D-II Game one predictions