UPDATE: Henderson hires Clay Baker (Price-Carlisle)

bradbankman

Well now my sources are saying that several of the candidates that were targeted have all backed out and now there's some scrambling going on....not sure how accurate it is but I know they wanted to try and get a board meeting called this week and its starting to look unlikely that happens

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

Well now my sources are saying that several of the candidates that were targeted have all backed out and now there's some scrambling going on....not sure how accurate it is but I know they wanted to try and get a board meeting called this week and its starting to look unlikely that happens

They might as well go hunt a young gun who wants his first head gig.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

This should be a pretty coveted job...but maybe not.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

This should be a pretty coveted job...but maybe not.

Yes should be but due to admin over head and the issues they have had  since the new sup and company came in drove a lot of people away from this one. More to this one than the kids and football. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Wow if true. Like I said, it's hard to get an AD/HFC to take a non AD job (one classification up). It's not the end of the world if they have to go back to the drawing board as long as they end up with the right person to lead the program. This will be a big challenge, to walk into a place where you are not the AD and try and change the culture of the program. I wonder how their offseason works and who/how the kids are split? Never mind, getting a headache just thinking about it. I hope they get this squared away soon for the kids. This job used to be a dang good one and still has the potential to be that.  

Edited by BigWhoop

7 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The board had a meeting set for noon Thursday but the supt. cancelled it Monday morning.

8 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

They had 3. So now do you call 4-10, or do you start over? Looks bad from a district standpoint in unable to reach negotiations or compromise to get a guy in. 

You're right. It always looks bad to get turned down, no matter what the situation. But making the right hire is the focus. So you didn't get the guy that you initially "thought" would be the right fit. Maybe the right fit is in that 4-10 range. I believe we have a ton of great coaches in Texas and there are coaches in that pile that you left that can do a great job. The question is, can they pull the right resume and get that coach in there for an interview. Scour through the list and find the best leader, that will be your best candidate. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

You're right. It always looks bad to get turned down, no matter what the situation. But making the right hire is the focus. So you didn't get the guy that you initially "thought" would be the right fit. Maybe the right fit is in that 4-10 range. I believe we have a ton of great coaches in Texas and there are coaches in that pile that you left that can do a great job. The question is, can they pull the right resume and get that coach in there for an interview. Scour through the list and find the best leader, that will be your best candidate. 

True but as 4-10 you know you weren't their first choice do you turn it down due to that or do you take is as its business and take your opportunity.  Hopefully they get this right and not just right now

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

True but as 4-10 you know you weren't their first choice do you turn it down due to that or do you take is as its business and take your opportunity.  Hopefully they get this right and not just right now

You right again Slick. I know people that use that logic during the interview process. If the situation is one I think I can turn around, I'd consider it if it improved my employment situation, but that's me. I do think Henderson overshot their expectations considering the condition of the program and not being able to offer the AD title. I could be wrong, but I think not being able to offer that position and the authority that comes with it is a heavy, heavy burden.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BigWhoop said:

You right again Slick. I know people that use that logic during the interview process. If the situation is one I think I can turn around, I'd consider it if it improved my employment situation, but that's me. I do think Henderson overshot their expectations considering the condition of the program and not being able to offer the AD title. I could be wrong, but I think not being able to offer that position and the authority that comes with it is a heavy, heavy burden.

Facts..I know serval great coaches who would have done a phenomenal job there not put in for it. For one, knowing the current situation and two not have the AD title and be able to hire and bring in who you feel is best.  A guy needs to come in knowing all the variables right now work his butt of and show he's deserving and maybe they eventually let him have the position. Its not gonna be the cream of the crop right now, they are gonna have to get the best of what's left and willing to have an open mind, give the guy time and resources to be successful.  

• Like 1

Their first mistake was in over valuing their worth 👀..Obviously you have a burning dumpster fire of a program at the present time,you would possibly think they would have an original thought that they were gonna need someone young enough to get the kids to buy in to his program and bring the youngsters down out of the hallways and onto the field/court /track. Chances are if they bring a crusty ol codger with the flattop haircut in,and a 1980's mindset,it would backfire and status quo would continue.personaly I think if they get this wrong this time,the school board will suffer at the next elections.one would believe that these people should honestly know they weren't going to bring in the big names without the AD tag to go with it,with the shape the program is in at present..Forgoing the conclusion that common sense is abundant at least entertain the idea to involve the general electorate and explain that they wish to install a younger up and coming HC and give him time to rebuild the respect of the program...just my thoughts on the situ.

But if past decisions are the judge,they'll probly smoke this one too ✌️chain out....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

Yep

I'm a total Henderson outsider at this point (though I still have friends and relatives there) so I really don't understand what HISD is trying to do here. As far removed as I am from the situation, even I can think of about a dozen or so guys with the skills and bona fides to get that program back on track. 

By all accounts they seem to have bungled this process thus far.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I'm a total Henderson outsider at this point (though I still have friends and relatives there) so I really don't understand what HISD is trying to do here. As far removed as I am from the situation, even I can think of about a dozen or so guys with the skills and bona fides to get that program back on track. 

By all accounts they seem to have bungled this process thus far.

From my understanding the admin (that's including the board) put a committee together (none who have ever sported a jock strap) to get them a coach. Well, we see the results.

But I'm like you I don't live there anymore I just pay taxes there. 🤮

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

From my understanding the admin (that's including the board) put a committee together (none who have ever sported a jock strap) to get them a coach. Well, we see the results.

But I'm like you I don't live there anymore I just pay taxes there. 🤮

Did they put a committee together to determine who should be on the committee to choose a coach. That used to be the superintendent’s job to choose coach then bring him to the board. After all, that is part of why he makes 150-200 thousand dollars a year while he has teachers making 35-45000 a year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, upullinmychain said:

Their first mistake was in over valuing their worth 👀..Obviously you have a burning dumpster fire of a program at the present time,you would possibly think they would have an original thought that they were gonna need someone young enough to get the kids to buy in to his program and bring the youngsters down out of the hallways and onto the field/court /track. Chances are if they bring a crusty ol codger with the flattop haircut in,and a 1980's mindset,it would backfire and status quo would continue.personaly I think if they get this wrong this time,the school board will suffer at the next elections.one would believe that these people should honestly know they weren't going to bring in the big names without the AD tag to go with it,with the shape the program is in at present..Forgoing the conclusion that common sense is abundant at least entertain the idea to involve the general electorate and explain that they wish to install a younger up and coming HC and give him time to rebuild the respect of the program...just my thoughts on the situ.

But if past decisions are the judge,they'll probly smoke this one too ✌️chain out....

So are you saying this job needs to go to a flat bill or visor guy? lol

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, BigWhoop said:

.....not being able to offer the AD title. I could be wrong, but I think not being able to offer that position and the authority that comes with it is a heavy, heavy burden.

You hit the nail on the head .... they need to rethink that one ....

• Like 2