Texas and OU to SEC!

Lobo97

I suspect when Texas & OU negotiated the plan to go to the SEC, it was agreed by the conference they would be together. The fact that apparently A&M was excluded from the discussions makes them more likely to excluded from the same division or pod. That said, I expect the three schools to be groups together. Hopefully, they can rectify some of the mistakes the conference made when A&M and Missouri were added. Schools should be grouped together 1) geographically and 2) by nature rivalries (either existing or logically possible).

Now that Texas and OU will be joining next year, A&M should have to the right thing and be the bigger person and give them, especially Texas, a huge welcome to the SEC event. If they snub our noses and then turn around and lose our first game against them, it will be catastrophic. I have my doubts .

58 minutes ago, Mojo1000 said:

Now that Texas and OU will be joining next year, A&M should have to the right thing and be the bigger person and give them, especially Texas, a huge welcome to the SEC event. If they snub our noses and then turn around and lose our first game against them, it will be catastrophic. I have my doubts .

I don’t expect the pettiness from A&M or Texas to end…

4 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

It will intensify. What was once a “friendly” rivalry will likely be much more intense. The way things were handled when A&M left show we’ve come a long way from the days when these two were more like a sibling rivalry than a cross town rivalry. This will likely be a much more petty event moving forward. 

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Me too. I also like the idea of a mini sec playoff for the sec title. 4 pods of 4. Each pod sends their winner to a semi final game. 

I would think the SEC wouldn't employ it in a 12 team playoff. Too much risk to have a team drop out of the picture with a pre-CCG loss.

As the Southeastern Conference expands to 16 teams beginning in 2024, Texas A&M will profit in the short term. 

According to SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Texas A&M, along with the 13 other current SEC programs, received roughly $49.9 million each in revenue distribution from the league. The news was made public after Texas and Oklahoma announced they would join the SEC beginning in 2024. 

The total distribution revenue comes from television agreements, post-season bowl games, the College Football Playoff, the SEC Football Championship Game, the SEC Men's Basketball Tournament, NCAA Championships and a “supplemental surplus distribution,” according to the conference's statement. 

"The Southeastern Conference learned today of the decision by the Big 12 Conference to alter the membership exit date for the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas," Sankey said in a prepared statement. "We are continuing our preparation for this membership transition, and we look forward to welcoming the Conference's new members and moving into our future as a 16-team league."

Texas and Oklahoma had been in talks of departing the Big 12 for several year in advance of the July 1, 2025 deadline. After further discussion with both the broadcast companies and new Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark, both schools agreed to pay a combined $100 million to leave the conference following the end of all sporting events in 2023-24.

As always, it's all about the 💵

Edited by Sportsfanatic1

15 hours ago, Coach Rab said:

This will ramp up to levels of pettiness on par with a ex girlfriend who would slice your tires, egg your car and stand outside your work with a boombox blaring “In Your Eyes” with a little dash of “I wish I knew how to quit you” thrown in for some spice. 

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

So, did the sec put this out Lion or was this a grab off the internet?

I believe this is in the discussion. We won’t find out officially till the spring. Like I said I find it difficult to believe that Lsu and Alabama wouldn’t be permanent rivals.

2 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

So, did the sec put this out Lion or was this a grab off the internet?

Also saw this It's been confirmed that the SEC will be moving to a 9-game conference schedule starting in 2024 (3-6-6 model). This will completely eliminate divisions and also eliminate the pods idea. Texas will be a permanent opponent , with them coming to Kyle Field in 2024 for the  first meeting in the SEC. The other two permanent opponents are unknown, but I assume they'll be LSU and Arkansas. Fun to talk about during the offseason.

6 minutes ago, bordertown said:

IF…. Arkansas is a permanent rival for Texas and not A&M, how much will Jerry pay for Texas to play annually at AT&T?

He would do it and highly doubt that Texas would want to play two neutral site games. I like campus games way better atmosphere.