Tioga is OPEN

GNR

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 10:11 AM, sportsfan122316 said:

Pretty sure the school has some financial issues, might of got out before it was too late. 

Heard they have a lot of financial issues.  Hired too many teachers/coaches for expected growth that wasn’t there yet. Payed staff top dollar. Over estimated enrollment numbers, etc…

AD got 10% pay cut. 

https://www.kxii.com/2022/12/21/tioga-isd-set-terminate-20-employees-amid-financial-troubles/?outputType=amp

2AAschool I know has 9 men coaches and 3 women coaches. Probably the norm, I don’t know. Want to know where some money could be saved? Schools that size used to have 4 men and 1 or 2 women coaches. Most are whining that they need more coaches . No they don’t, they need all coaches to coach more than one or two sports!! Schools that size the adhc should teach 3-4 classes. Save some money. If they don’t want to coach, get another job!

• LOL! 1

37 minutes ago, Destry said:

2AAschool I know has 9 men coaches and 3 women coaches. Probably the norm, I don’t know. Want to know where some money could be saved? Schools that size used to have 4 men and 1 or 2 women coaches. Most are whining that they need more coaches . No they don’t, they need all coaches to coach more than one or two sports!! Schools that size the adhc should teach 3-4 classes. Save some money. If they don’t want to coach, get another job!

With the teacher shortage, those old ways no longer work.......teachers/coaches can basically pick where they want to go, and the higher paying schools get the pick of the litter.......schools that don't pay, get what's left over, if anyone at all........

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Destry said:

Come teach/coach in school Z inner city school for 75000 or come coach in rural school x for 65000, x for me every time. $$$ not everything 

Rural city BETTER be offering that much.....lol.....not the case usually though.......more like 35000.......

1 hour ago, TheGodfather said:

Teach and coach in a rural 2A: I have 5 classes (only 3 preps this year used to be 4). Coach 4 sports including 2 at the same time. In the 60s salary wise in my 10th year at the school. No plans to leave. 

That’s what I am talking about!!

12 hours ago, TheGodfather said:

Teach and coach in a rural 2A: I have 5 classes (only 3 preps this year used to be 4). Coach 4 sports including 2 at the same time. In the 60s salary wise in my 10th year at the school. No plans to leave. 

You the man. Appreciate coaches like you.

19 hours ago, Destry said:

I feel like ive said this to you before, but this is a gross misuse of information that isnt remotely true for majority of small schools.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that having 9 male coaches on a 2a staff is not the norm.  1 or 2 women coaches for 4 to 5 sports?  Really?  And then to say they make 65k is laughable.  You should be more informed before making your opinions known.

• Like 1

From my experience, its more like 6 boy coaches and 3-4 girl coaches in the 2a schools that I have been associated with.  3a we had 10-12 boy coaches and 6-7 girl coaches and 4a and 5a we had as many as 18-20 boy coaches and 10-12 girl coaches.

Just my experience  

16 minutes ago, GNR said:

From my experience, its more like 6 boy coaches and 3-4 girl coaches in the 2a schools that I have been associated with.  3a we had 10-12 boy coaches and 6-7 girl coaches and 4a and 5a we had as many as 18-20 boy coaches and 10-12 girl coaches.

Just my experience  

This one has always been a bit much to me but they also have upwards of 300 kids on a football program and such.  6 boys and 3 girls with some of the outlier sports such as tennis getting a regular teacher to watch them is the norm at 2A.

3 hours ago, dogs3505 said:

I feel like ive said this to you before, but this is a gross misuse of information that isnt remotely true for majority of small schools.  I can tell you with absolute certainty that having 9 male coaches on a 2a staff is not the norm.  1 or 2 women coaches for 4 to 5 sports?  Really?  And then to say they make 65k is laughable.  You should be more informed before making your opinions known.

This depends on many factors. Location,community wishes, available funds, etc. 50 year old coach-27 year’s experience-$55000 for teaching( my wife has 22 years-salary at her school(rural 2AA)54000 just teaching.) Now, take that 54000, add 7000 for head coach of one sport, add 2000 for assistant in football.$63000. School probably pay 2-3000 year toward his insurance if he takes it. Oh my — that’s 65-66000 in rural 2AA. I am here drinking a Dr Pepper and looking at a school that does that. Granted not all does it but is reasonable when the school pays ad/hc 75-80000. Just saying. I sometimes have strong opinions but I don’t always agree with myself.Have a good day bro.

So, again, you're taking one situation and using it to blanket statement this whole situation.  A coach who has gone for 27 years doesnt deserve 65k?  If he still does his job he does, but most coaches havent done it that long and dont make that much.  Most coaches at these schools are coaching 3-4 sports, teaching (loose term) 4-5 classes, and may even have some sort of maintenance duty they keep up with.  I've been involved in a few of them myself, most coaches I had was 10 boys coaches at a 3A and we still all did 3 sports and made the golden 65k you speak of.  Never did at 2A, even though I did WAY more work.  You also have a good day bro.

Edited by dogs3505
  • Like 1

I know a 6 man guy head basketball, OC, Assistant Track and make they make 69K. they are out there. blanket statements don't work for all. I work for a rural 2A and I make 66+K , 3 sports. 

1 hour ago, Slickarick said:

I know a 6 man guy head basketball, OC, Assistant Track and make they make 69K. they are out there. blanket statements don't work for all. I work for a rural 2A and I make 66+K , 3 sports. 

Thank you slick!! Some of these youngsters couldn’t handle coaching all sports at a 2AA school and making a total $2000 stipend plus teaching 5 classes like some of us coaches used to have to do. Oh, by the way there were 3 male coaches and 1 female coach, if we were lucky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destry said:

Thank you slick!! Some of these youngsters couldn’t handle coaching all sports at a 2AA school and making a total $2000 stipend plus teaching 5 classes like some of us coaches used to have to do.

With the teacher shortage, they don't HAVE to........simple economics........

• Like 1