3 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

Its just a good match-up for Lufkin. They really should had beaten Lancaster last year and that was with a lot of 10th graders that are now a year older with even more moving up from the loaded 25 class. I expect the game to be similar to last year. Both defenses getting the better of the offenses for most of the game. 

That would be a heck of a win. I actually have Lancaster behind Aledo at 1 and 2 in preseason for 5AD1. I also give them the edge over LV in district. This should be the most complete Lancaster team we have ever played.

If Lufkin has gained consistency, this district is going to be murderers row.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

That would be a heck of a win. I actually have Lancaster behind Aledo at 1 and 2 in preseason for 5AD1. I also give them the edge over LV in district. This should be the most complete Lancaster team we have ever played.

I firmly believe Lufkin is going to take a leap forward this year and 2024/2025 could be big years for the Panthers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

And we may not beat them but I think it's definitely on the table.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I firmly believe Lufkin is going to take a leap forward this year and 2024/2025 could be big years for the Panthers

Lufkin will be better.

I believe that. I know what's in that '25 class.

But I also believe Longview, Lancaster, Forney, McNorth and Tyler will be better....and Lufkin went 1-4 vs those teams. Im not saying Lufkin cant beat those teams this year, but they will have to prove it. I flat out think Forney opens as a top 20-25 team in the polls. I've broken down the Lancaster offense, but even McNorth has D1 prospects at QB, RB, WR and TE 😳

If Lufkin is back, this is the toughest most competitive district in the state.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 3:41 PM, ANTI said:

Maybe.

Aledo was growing pretty good last I saw...could be moving up themselves. They're at 2,227 with another large 8th class coming in this fall. 

For Longview, 2,361. 2,170 at the HS, 191 at Lead but Lead calculations will probably keep us below the cutoff. There isnt a year coming up in the foreseeable future that I don't give the Lobos potential to be a final 4 team. That's how much talent is coming up the pipeline.

Any idea the best run of semifinal appearances in LV history? Have yall ever gone 3 in a row or 4 out of 5? Something like that? 

5 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Any idea the best run of semifinal appearances in LV history? Have yall ever gone 3 in a row or 4 out of 5? Something like that? 

2008-2010 comes to mind.

That was state appearance, state appearance and semifinal (led that semifinal game 17-0 at half). 

2007 went to quarters too.

2017-2019 could've been another run. Semis in 2017, state championship in 2018...but dropped the ball in 2019, Area round.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Lufkin will be better.

But I also believe Longview, Lancaster, Forney, McNorth and Tyler will be better....and Lufkin went 1-4 vs those teams. Im not saying Lufkin cant beat those teams this year, but they will have to prove it. I flat out think Forney opens as a top 20-25 team in the polls. I've broken down the Lancaster offense, but even McNorth has D1 prospects at QB, RB, WR and TE 😳

Get ready because Lufkin isn't taking a back seat this season. They should had won the McKinney North game last year you can't blow a 3 score 2nd half lead and now this game is at Abe. Then they had Lancaster in trouble most of the game. Another one they probably should had won. If Lufkin doesn't turn the ball over 4 or 5 times vs Forney I think that game could had gone different. The defense was keeping them in it and the offense was turning it over. Longview is the only team last year that made Lufkin look like they don't belong and I don't think that will be the case this year. I still favor Longview but it's not gonna be 49-7 or whatever it was. I expect a much better game.

Edited by Gametyme
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

2008-2010 comes to mind.

That was state appearance, state appearance and semifinal (led that semifinal game 17-0 at half). 

2007 went to quarters too.

2017-2019 could've been another run. Semis in 2017, state championship in 2018...but dropped the ball in 2019, Area round.

On the SETX site there is a thread about PNG beating Permian at State and it talked about the Permian vs LV semifinal game. 80's I think. 

1 hour ago, Gametyme said:

When is the Longview spring game? And will it be of GameDay?

Next Monday.

That 2nd part is a question for @Mr. P but I'd be surprised if they do it. Maybe the LISD stream will.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

Lufkin will be better.

I definitely trust your insight on them. I know you have our defense over their offense. It will definitely be something to watch.

If Lufkin is back as you and Stepp think, this could be the strongest district in almost any classification.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I definitely trust your insight on them. I know you have our defense over their offense. It will definitely be something to watch.

If Lufkin is back as you and Stepp think, this could be the strongest district in almost any classification.

I have our offense over their defense.

Our defense vs their offense is going to be a battle. Both are probably top 3-4 units on their side of the ball in 5A D1.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

I have our offense over their defense.

Our defense vs their offense is going to be a battle. Both are probably top 3-4 units on their side of the ball in 5A D1.

Man...you definitely know something I don't. I feel we lost too much and are unproven at QB. If that is the case, then we would be the better team.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Man...you definitely know something I don't. I feel we lost too much and are unproven at QB. If that is the case, then we would be the better team.

We lost Jalen and Jordan. I'll address the Alijah thing in a sec....

But everything else came back + additions.

The OL has been a bright spot in the spring, those 5 up front (Longoria, Watts, Morgan, George and Murray) have looked great and for a change, a Lobo OL will look the part too. Some big boys.

Those big boys will be blocking for the #1 rated back in Texas, and Boosie Washington is his own type of beast.

No secret that Alijah was one of my favs. I think only Jessie Anderson and Chris Ivory blocked better than he did from the FB position and his running ability was under appreciated. But the move may have forced us into a personnel set (12) that benefits us most. Not only that, it opened more carry opportunities for Mason Washington, Kason Brooks (could be involved on both sides of the ball)....and most importantly...Brenden Reese (who will be involved on both sides of the ball). My goodness.

Jalen is at Bama but the WRs still look great. His absence may force us to spread it around more. We forget that DK Reese is a FBS stud himself and he has been a human highlight reel this spring. Lengthy Ethan Harrison has had a strong spring too. But this is also a WR group that features that loaded '25 room of Mekhi Stewert, Jailynn Taylor, Keiffer Doxey and Tyler Brown. 

QB...I'm just letting that take care of itself. I will say that spring games have revealed who QB1 will/should be in the long run.

Lancaster will be good defensively but they were also replacing 6-7 starters on defense at the beginning of spring. We returned 7 offensively.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gametyme said:

When is the Longview spring game? And will it be of GameDay?

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

That 2nd part is a question for @Mr. P but I'd be surprised if they do it. Maybe the LISD stream will.

Not sure about Gameday streaming it, but they'll certainly be there recording it... probably highlights after. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

We lost Jalen and Jordan. I'll address the Alijah thing in a sec....

But everything else came back + additions.

The OL has been a bright spot in the spring, those 5 up front (Longoria, Watts, Morgan, George and Murray) have looked great and for a change, a Lobo OL will look the part too. Some big boys.

Those big boys will be blocking for the #1 rated back in Texas, and Boosie Washington is his own type of beast.

No secret that Alijah was one of my favs. I think only Jessie Anderson and Chris Ivory blocked better than he did from the FB position and his running ability was under appreciated. But the move may have forced us into a personnel set (12) that benefits us most. Not only that, it opened more carry opportunities for Mason Washington, Kason Brooks (could be involved on both sides of the ball)....and most importantly...Brenden Reese (who will be involved on both sides of the ball). My goodness.

Jalen is at Bama but the WRs still look great. His absence may force us to spread it around more. We forget that DK Reese is a FBS stud himself and he has been a human highlight reel this spring. Lengthy Ethan Harrison has had a strong spring too. But this is also a WR group that features that loaded '25 room of Mekhi Stewert, Jailynn Taylor, Keiffer Doxey and Tyler Brown. 

QB...I'm just letting that take care of itself. I will say that spring games have revealed who QB1 will/should be in the long run.

Lancaster will be good defensively but they were also replacing 6-7 starters on defense at the beginning of spring. We returned 7 offensively.

Reese running at you on defense and offense damn ouch 😳 lol