5 hours ago, Gametyme said:

This is what I love to see. Just from that offer you can tell what type of kid he is in the classroom and off the field. 

This is what folks fail to realize about Longview.

Yeah we love our athletics and band, but what happens in the classroom in Longview ISD is not mentioned enough

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/report-top-10-high-schools-in-east-texas/501-0ab119e1-69fd-4cd7-9218-ad5f282b9037

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, EastTexasKnowItAll said:

How does an offer from an Ivy League school work?

While the Ivies don't offer a conventional "athletic scholarship" they do arrange for "financial aid" to ensure tuition, fees, room and board are all covered. 

What's being "offered" is a place on the roster and admission into the college. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 7:32 PM, ANTI said:

Another Ivy League offer for Longview safety Buddha Garrett. 14th D1 offer overall 

I don't think Colgate is an Ivy league school, but its a very impressive school. Says alot about that kid to have an offer from them.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ANTI said:

This is what folks fail to realize about Longview.

Yeah we love our athletics and band, but what happens in the classroom in Longview ISD is not mentioned enough

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/local/report-top-10-high-schools-in-east-texas/501-0ab119e1-69fd-4cd7-9218-ad5f282b9037

I have pride for JT but bro....LOL...Longview ISD should add you to the public relations team.

• LOL! 1

47 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I don't think Colgate is an Ivy league school, but its a very impressive school. Says alot about that kid to have an offer from them.  

It's considered a "Little Ivy" because of the academic status and age: 

The Little Ivies are an unofficial group of small, academically competitive private liberal arts colleges in the Northeastern United States.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8] The term Little Ivy derives from these schools' small student bodies, standards of academic excellence, associated historic social prestige, and highly selective admissions comparable to the Ivy League. According to Bloomberg, the Little Ivies are also known for their large financial endowments, both absolutely and relative to their size.[9]

The term is generally and most associated with the colleges of the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC), with select schools from the Liberty League, Patriot League and the Centennial Conference. The term, however, was in active circulation to depict the original "Little Ivy" schools as schools and not merely athletic rivals at least as early as 1955. The New York Times quotes the President of Swarthmore College saying at the time, "We not only have the Ivy League, and the pretty clearly understood though seldom mentioned gradations within the Ivy League, but we have the Little Ivy League, and the jockeying for position within that."[10]

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

It's considered a "Little Ivy" because of the academic status and age: 

No doubt its a very prestigious school. I just figured he was confusing it with Cornell or Columbia.  Regardless, it says alot about a kid to get offers from an Ivy, Little Ivy, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, John's Hopkins...etc.

Edited by JTFAN99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

No doubt its a very prestigious school. I just figured he was confusing it with Cornell or Columbia.  Regardless, it says alot about a kid to get offers from an Ivy, Little Ivy, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, John's Hopkins...etc.

Yup, exactly.

And I don't think enough people understand the prestige of schools like Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Michigan. Their academics are all elite. A degree from there opens a LOT of doors. 

You might consider them "Ivies who actually spend money on sports."   😜

9 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Yup, exactly.

And I don't think enough people understand the prestige of schools like Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Michigan. Their academics are all elite. A degree from there opens a LOT of doors. 

You might consider them "Ivies who actually spend money on sports."   😜

Michigan....hmmmm...😀

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Lufkin '24 RB Kedren Young commits to Notre Dame. Recently had an official visit with the Fighting Irish last weekend.

@Gametyme Very happy for this young man. Incredible talent that hopefull will have some help this year. 

He is the #2 RB in our district in my opinion. I know we have some crazy talent at RB in the district, but think his ceiling is endless.

Edited by kingwolf

38 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

@Gametyme Very happy for this young man. Incredible talent that hopefull will have some help this year. 

He is the #2 RB in our district in my opinion. I know we have some crazy talent at RB in the district, but think his ceiling is endless.

District is loaded with talent period, but the RB position is just insane:

Lufkin has 4 star RB Kedren Young

Lancaster has 3 star RB Kewan Lacy (2nd most offers in the district behind Taylor Tatum) and Markel Porter (5 D1 offers)

Forney has Javian Osborne (7 D1 offers), top '26 RB in TX

McKinney North has Jayden Walker (6 D1 offers)

Tyler has D1 prospect Jamichael Cooper. Cadarius McMiller is an incoming Freshman with a D1 offer from Nebraska. Lucky for the rest of the district, they will not use McFall at his natural RB position

Longview has Taylor Tatum, #1 RB in Texas. He's not the only one in the backfield. The Washington's will also play next level.

Speaking of RBs, will there be a more prepared run defense than Longview?

They'll face 8 RBs (9 with McFall at RB) this year with D1 offers. 

Not to mention facing Taylor Tatum and the Washington's everyday in practice. If you saw Marshall's subvarsity last year, you should know what they have coming up in the backfield too...and in that Jack Alvarez system.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:51 PM, ANTI said:

If I haven't said it enough, this district is going to be really tough. 

Screenshot_20230601_145109_Twitter.jpg

5AD1 Starts at the 58 minute mark. And for those that dont know the guy at the bottom of the screen is Coach Todd from South Oak Cliff. 

Edited by AledoAlumni

Tyler will shock people, Lufkin will shock people...

Forney, McKinney North, Lancaster, Longview

North Mesquite with a D1 QB for the first time since....who knows. I'm sure West Mesquite is like, don't forget about us!

Only 4 slots!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

Tyler will shock people, Lufkin will shock people...

Forney, McKinney North, Lancaster, Longview

North Mesquite with a D1 QB for the first time since....who knows. I'm sure West Mesquite is like, don't forget about us!

Only 4 slots!