Aeryn Hampton transfers to Carthage

ANTI

10 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I know Saban is very high on him. Thinks he's a 1st rounder if he works his A off and keeps his nose clean.

Rare level of talent for sure.

Then he's bringing that tough ( @Mr. P you know what word I want to put here lol) Longview kid mentality to the next level....

Will definitely be league bound in a few years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VonG said:

I'm a say this. I truly believe none of this movement by Aeryn would be going on had JT had a different coaching staff. The kid grew up in Tyler. It was well known his mother was not a fan of JT's coaching staff. That's the main reason he left. She didn't believe JT staff was capable of coaching her son to be the best athlete he could be. Even though Coach Holmes and company sent many players to the next level and some to the pros. The kid will be a beast wherever he goes.

💯 

Edited by KrookedWolfe

Does Argyle get more credit now since they moved up to 5A this past season and went deep in the playoffs only losing one game all season?  Wasn’t it to the eventual state champions as well?

Carthage would’ve done the same thing Argyle did or better with the same schedule.

Argyle could only win 2 titles in 4A.

We’ve won 9, knocking them out en route to one of those titles.

Argyle does not have the pure athletes we do, never have; think about it.

We had 7 football players sign LOI’s to play in college and that did NOT include Cuff (QB) and Paddie (WR) who went baseball rather than football, but legitimately could’ve been 9 players from one class go to the next level on scholarship. 

Longview had six football players sign LOI’s.

Just giving a few things for folks to ponder over.  

My last two posts are there to generate thought.  

Like @Sportsfanatic1 and I discussed yesterday, 5A and 6A undoubtedly provide a higher caliber of player on average across the board than 4A and below.  That does not mean there aren’t fantastic players in 4A and under. Bussey at Timpson would be just as dominant in 6A as he is in 2A, heck maybe even more so since he’d have more talented team mates at his disposal.

The final point is Carthage is not a normal 4A team as is evidenced by the signees.  

Everyone knows that, but still LOVE to put a little * by it and say, “Yeah, but it’s 4A.”, which is why I ask you how do feel about Argyle now that they went to the semifinals and their only loss was to the champions.

It was Argyle’s first year in 5A and rose right near the top, and they are not in the same galaxy as Carthage. 

You’ve seen Argyle ride roughshod in DFW 5A.  What would Carthage have done?

Everybody wants to get mad with these “hypothetical” comparisons, well, we just witnessed a real world example of a brand new 5A team, previously top notch 4A team do very well….and Argyle’s offense wasn’t as good this season as it has been in seasons past.

There’s no getting around it and Regal’s team could only muster two state championships in 4A.  

12 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We had 7 football players sign LOI’s to play in college and that did NOT include Cuff (QB) and Paddie (WR) who went baseball rather than football, but legitimately could’ve been 9 players from one class go to the next level on scholarship. 

Longview had six football players sign LOI’s.

Just giving a few things for folks to ponder over.  

My last two posts are there to generate thought.  

Like @Sportsfanatic1 and I discussed yesterday, 5A and 6A undoubtedly provide a higher caliber of player on average across the board than 4A and below.  That does not mean there aren’t fantastic players in 4A and under. Bussey at Timpson would be just as dominant in 6A as he is in 2A, heck maybe even more so since he’d have more talented team mates at his disposal.

The final point is Carthage is not a normal 4A team as is evidenced by the signees.  

Everyone knows that, but still LOVE to put a little * by it and say, “Yeah, but it’s 4A.”, which is why I ask you how do feel about Argyle now that they went to the semifinals and their only loss was to the champions.

It was Argyle’s first year in 5A and rose right near the top, and they are not in the same galaxy as Carthage. 

You’ve seen Argyle ride roughshod in DFW 5A.  What would Carthage have done?

Everybody wants to get mad with these “hypothetical” comparisons, well, we just witnessed a real world example of a brand new 5A team, previously top notch 4A team do very well….and Argyle’s offense wasn’t as good this season as it has been in seasons past.

There’s no getting around it and Regal’s team could only muster two state championships in 4A.  

Also, I think Marshall is a competitive 5A school? Seems like I can recall Marhsall getting a massive beating (worse than LV) at the hands of Carthage. It is reasonable to conclude that Carthage would have won 4AD1 and 5AD2. Dont think they would have been able to compete with Aledo in 5AD1 but they definitely would have made some prior. 

On topic, for someone in East Texas who wants to play in college, it is reasonable for them to want to play in Carthage which is the "top" college football preparatory. It is also the only school where you get an automatic 16 week season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Also, I think Marshall is a competitive 5A school? Seems like I can recall Marhsall getting a massive beating (worse than LV) at the hands of Carthage. It is reasonable to conclude that Carthage would have won 4AD1 and 5AD2. Dont think they would have been able to compete with Aledo in 5AD1 but they definitely would have made some prior. 

On topic, for someone in East Texas who wants to play in college, it is reasonable for them to want to play in Carthage which is the "top" college football preparatory. It is also the only school where you get an automatic 16 week season.

I understand what you're saying but the last paragraph would be for "athletic reasons."

32 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I understand what you're saying but the last paragraph would be for "athletic reasons."

Agreed. There is no player where a move would have nothing to do with "athletic reasons". Especially, since the individual in question has his future based on "athletic reasons". The only way "athletic reasons" can be removed from the equation would be to move to a school without football. 

The "presence of athletic reasons" is not the issue but if the move is "solely for athletic reasons". "Solely for athletic reasons" is a tougher standard to prove and will likely not be proved in the case.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Does Argyle get more credit now since they moved up to 5A this past season and went deep in the playoffs only losing one game all season?  Wasn’t it to the eventual state champions as well?

Carthage would’ve done the same thing Argyle did or better with the same schedule.

Argyle could only win 2 titles in 4A.

We’ve won 9, knocking them out en route to one of those titles.

Argyle does not have the pure athletes we do, never have; think about it.

What schools like Argyle and Liberty Hill did in 5A D2 doesnt really shock people like me much because I've always considered 5A D2 to have a lot of 4A D1 characteristics anyway. But sure I guess.

5A D2 is far from the level of comp that you'll see on the 5A D1 and 6A levels (ask Crosby), mainly because this is where you truly start seeing the effects of the burbs. This is also where all of your nationally ranked TXHSFB teams are yearly safe for maybe a team or two and one of those teams was usually Aledo who is no longer in 5A D2.

When 7A is created, a lot of these 5A D2 and 4A D1 schools will end up in the same classification for a reason.

Aledo was the only program that I knew could play up and win not only because they'd done it already (before the presplit era), but because I knew their enrollment growth would help accommodate the football program as well. Liberty Hill ISD (expected to have over 18,000 kids by 2031) and Argyle ISD (expected to have 12,000 kids in 10 years) have the growth as you can see. So I'm sure the transitions up for them won't be too bad when the time comes.

For now, those two programs would have to focus on establishing dominance on the D2 level, like Aledo did.

Edited by ANTI

26 minutes ago, ANTI said:

What schools like Argyle and Liberty Hill did in 5A D2 doesnt really shock people like me much because I've always considered 5A D2 to have a lot of 4A D1 characteristics anyway. But sure I guess.

5A D2 is far from the level of comp that you'll see on the 5A D1 and 6A levels (ask Crosby), mainly because this is where you truly start seeing the effects of the burbs. This is also where all of your nationally ranked TXHSFB teams are yearly safe for maybe a team or two and one of those teams was usually Aledo who is no longer in 5A D2.

When 7A is created, a lot of these 5A D2 and 4A D1 schools will end up in the same classification for a reason.

Aledo was the only program that I knew could play up and win not only because they'd done it already (before the presplit era), but because I knew their enrollment growth would help accommodate the football program as well. Liberty Hill ISD (expected to have over 18,000 kids by 2031) and Argyle ISD (expected to have 12,000 kids in 10 years) have the growth as you can see. So I'm sure the transitions up for them won't be too bad when the time comes.

For now, those two programs would have to focus on establishing dominance on the D2 level, like Aledo did.

Fair.

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Automatic 16 week season, yep.

Carthage being THE top college football preparatory of East Texas, I'm not following.

One of the top, sure. How successful are Carthage players on the next level? 

From the 2010 class - present....

Longview had 13 classes (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) produce at least one D1 player.

Now this is important because it starts to showcase what the players are actually doing once they reach said college/university. Of those classes, 9 of them (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020) produced starters on the D1 level.

Marcus Williams (2019 class) has a chance to start at tackle for TCU next season but I'm not counting him since it hasn't actually happened yet. '21-'23 classes are still writing their stories as well.

Finally, 5 classes produced at least 1 NFL guy (2011, 2012, 2013, *2014, *2015) with 2014 and 2015 producing multiple.

If that isn't prepping for the next level, what is?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Carthage being THE top college football preparatory of East Texas, I'm not following.

Longview had 13 classes (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023) produce at least one D1 player.

Now this is important because it starts to showcase what the players are actually doing once they reach said college/university. Of those classes, 9 of them (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020) produced starters on the D1 level.

Marcus Williams (2019 class) has a chance to start at tackle for TCU next season but I'm not counting him since it hasn't actually happened yet. '21-'23 classes are still writing their stories as well.

Finally, 5 classes produced at least 1 NFL guy (2011, 2012, 2013, *2014, *2015) with 2014 and 2015 producing multiple.

That is impressive 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Very impressive.  Lobos produce players, no doubt.

Since 2010, Carthage has had a lot of players go D1 and only Keaontay Ingram make it to the NFL.

Ingram was a rookie this past season for the Cardinals and played in relief of the starter just to get him a breather periodically.  Did get to get a touchdown or maybe two his first year.

• Like 1

Great response about Longview.  I was writing something up like that for Daingerfield but couldn't find the data I wanted to back it up.  I was trying to see a comparison of D1 starters and NFL players.  Carthage has been on a great ride.  But I would bet they haven't had the success at the next levels as Daingerfield has.  Wish the kid good luck.  A lot can happen the next few years for him.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VerumDixit said:

I’m surprised the D1 kid at Beckville hasn’t found his way further down the road yet.

If he was going to transfer, he would have gone as an 8th grader, maybe even as a freshman.  Very few reasons will hold up for immediate eligibility when you are talking the next district over.