Aeryn Hampton transfers to Carthage

ANTI

36 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

He's established residency at his previous school therefore he's still eligible there

What if his parents no longer live there and he had no one to live with at his previous school? Does the UIL take that into consideration? ...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

What if his parents no longer live there and he had no one to live with at his previous school? Does the UIL take that into consideration? ...

Every SEC hearing I've attended or watched online the committee takes everything into consdideration and the point stands...every student is eligible at one school...if a student-athlete is ruled ineligible at a school he transferred to then he's still eligible at his previous school where he established residency. 

• Like 2

Listen up parents across the USA.

If you want your star middle school athlete to play for an elite program in Texas, just move to that school district their 9th grade year in August. Get a 1 month lease, then enroll that student in that school.  After your lease is up, you can then move back to the city or state you previously lived. Don't worry, you only have to fake it for one month and  now have established residency for your kid, so they are good for the next 4 yrs.  

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Grumpy 1

7 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Listen up parents across the USA.

If you want your star middle school athlete to play for an elite program in Texas, just move to that school district their 9th grade year in August. Get a 1 month lease, then enroll that student in that school.  After your lease is up, you can then move back to the city or state you previously lived. Don't worry, you only have to fake it for one month and  now have established residency for your kid, so they are good for the next 4 yrs.  

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/constitution/uil-ccr-subchapter-m.pdf

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

I get it Stepp. I know the UIL has a tough job. They are trying to police the system to make sure people aren't moving for athletic reasons. But sometimes their rulings seems inconsistent. 

Of course rulings are inconsistent there are lots of judgement calls going on and the SEC has different people on it.....so yes there will be inconsistencies when it comes to something subjective like "transferring for athletic purposes"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

Of course rulings are inconsistent there are lots of judgement calls going on and the SEC has different people on it.....so yes there will be inconsistencies when it comes to something subjective like "transferring for athletic purposes"

I think it is time for the UIL to get out of the "transferring for athletic purposes" business.  If a family is willing to move into a district (without having dual residency) and not just transfer then I don't think the reason should matter.  

The same coaches who are checking "moving for athletic purposes" on the PAPF have often moved their own families to a new school because it is best for their family.  Athlete's families should be able to do the same without penalty in my opinion.

Will the rich get richer?  Most likely but I think establishing residency (and I'm not talking about just moving in with someone else) by uprooting your family to move into a better situation shouldn't be penalized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

I think it is time for the UIL to get out of the "transferring for athletic purposes" business.  If a family is willing to move into a district (without having dual residency) and not just transfer then I don't think the reason should matter.  

The same coaches who are checking "moving for athletic purposes" on the PAPF have often moved their own families to a new school because it is best for their family.  Athlete's families should be able to do the same without penalty in my opinion.

Will the rich get richer?  Most likely but I think establishing residency (and I'm not talking about just moving in with someone else) by uprooting your family to move into a better situation shouldn't be penalized.

Agree 100%.

If the parents are willing to move to a new town the ultimate reason for the move if even it really is for athletic purposes shouldn’t matter.

If they moved into the district they moved, period.

What’s the problem?

14 minutes ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

The UIL will not get out of that business...the schools don't want that, it's held up in court literally hundreds of times....its not perfect but its a system the schools on the whole are happy with

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agree 100%.

If the parents are willing to move to a new town the ultimate reason for the move if even it really is for athletic purposes shouldn’t matter.

If they moved into the district they moved, period.

What’s the problem?

People move all the time for athletic purposes. The best way to do it is when they are in junior high or 9th grade. The majority are not playing varsity sports as a 9th grader. Red flags will always go up when kids move their junior year to a neighboring school.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swaha said:

People move all the time for athletic purposes. The best way to do it is when they are in junior high or 9th grade. The majority are not playing varsity sports as a 9th grader. Red flags will always go up when kids move their junior year to a neighboring school.

Yep. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 9:04 AM, Sportsjunkiee said:

Nope.  The system has made Texas HS Sports the best in the nation for a reason.   It is not perfect but it is as close as it can be.  

On 4/7/2023 at 9:21 AM, MattStepp said:

The UIL will not get out of that business...the schools don't want that, it's held up in court literally hundreds of times....its not perfect but its a system the schools on the whole are happy with

Exactly.  It is not perfect.   But for a government agency the UIL comes about as close as you can get.  And I am a huge critic of the UIL.  But not on the transfer issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...