Aeryn Hampton transfers to Carthage

ANTI

26 minutes ago, DeBerryJacket said:

He was killing it in their workouts. He was going to be starting. No one was going to be able to cover him in that class either. Like others have said, he left because of UIL, not because he wasn't good enough. 

Exactly! People should remember Alabama offered him for a reason. He's a big-time player whether at DF, Carthage or North Shore as a hypothetical school.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

So he was denied?  Does anyone know details? 

It never went to a SEC hearing..my guess here is the PAPF had some boxes checked and the DEC either had a hearing and said he wasn't eligible or based on the factors at hand someone advised him if he did go to a hearing he'd have very little chance of winning

Edited by MattStepp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, neveragain said:

I've never understood how a player who moves for athletic purposes is denied eligibility then moves back to their previous school and is eligible.  Surely if the first move was for athletic reasons the return was also.

Exactly. How do you enroll somewhere else, get denied, and move back so you can play and you’re eligible to play? If when players moved back and were ineligible, there would likely be a little less moving around for athletic reasons. 

35 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Exactly. How do you enroll somewhere else, get denied, and move back so you can play and you’re eligible to play? If when players moved back and were ineligible, there would likely be a little less moving around for athletic reasons. 

Because you have to be eligible at one school, unless you move from out of state and are ruled ineligible everyone is eligible at one school

If I was on the DEC of the district to which an athlete was returning I'd ask two questions:  Why did you leave in the first place? and Why are you returning?  I think there is room in the UIL rules for an athlete to be ineligible for other reasons than residency.

30 minutes ago, neveragain said:

If I was on the DEC of the district to which an athlete was returning I'd ask two questions:  Why did you leave in the first place? and Why are you returning?  I think there is room in the UIL rules for an athlete to be ineligible for other reasons than residency.

They are still kids. No harm to anyone if the kid returns. I dont think the UIL needs to institute "gotcha" to take SR seasons away from kids when no harm has been done. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, neveragain said:

And there are

11 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

They are still kids. No harm to anyone if the kid returns. I dont think the UIL needs to institute "gotcha" to take SR seasons away from kids when no harm has been done. 

I agree...a kid has to be eligible somewhere it makes sense he'd be eligible at the school where he was last eligible at.....talk about a lawsuit the UIL would lose

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Agreed.

If you move out of district, you can return back to your home district with I think a 2 week "ban", but it will be a calendar year ban if you return to a district where you are not in district. Ex. If I live in Whitehouse and go to school there, but I transfer to legacy I will have to sit out a calendar year (varsity sports). If I go to Legacy for a day then move back I will be eligible because of living in the district. That is why a lot of ppl move during middle school years to avoid the ban.

• Like 1

That is the difference in a transfer and a move in student.  Transfers (students not living in the new schools attendance zone) typically come with a one year non-varsity period, unless the student has some extenuating circumstance...bullying at old school, mental health issues, etc.  Students establishing residence in a district will have a brief period of varsity ineligibility and once the PAPF form is approved by the district executive committee they become eligible.

I don't know how you can establish residence in one district and a few weeks later  establish residence in another without drawing at least a look from the DEC.

Edited by neveragain

On 4/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, BlackShirtD said:

Ummm, yes it does.   Why would a player transfer to Carthage and then leave a few weeks later to go back to where he came from?    And don’t give me that BS about he just didn’t like it there.   He went to win and left because……..

Because it could of been shady stuff and it didn’t want to have to miss sr year?

1 hour ago, neveragain said:

That is the difference in a transfer and a move in student.  Transfers (students not living in the new schools attendance zone) typically come with a one year non-varsity period, unless the student has some extenuating circumstance...bullying at old school, mental health issues, etc.  Students establishing residence in a district will have a brief period of varsity ineligibility and once the PAPF form is approved by the district executive committee they become eligible.

I don't know how you can establish residence in one district and a few weeks later  establish residence in another without drawing at least a look from the DEC.

If he was cleared by a DEC in Carthage there might be a case for the DEC to hold a hearing if he went back because technically his eligibility switched from one school to another...in this case it never was heard or went to a hearing so he's eligible at Daingerfield...if he's not eligible at Daingerfield where is he eligible? Carthage? Well Carthage's DEC may have something to say about it since they never heard the case....so what happens if they say he's ineligible?? You can see where this is going

5 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

If he was cleared by a DEC in Carthage there might be a case for the DEC to hold a hearing if he went back because technically his eligibility switched from one school to another...in this case it never was heard or went to a hearing so he's eligible at Daingerfield...if he's not eligible at Daingerfield where is he eligible? Carthage? Well Carthage's DEC may have something to say about it since they never heard the case....so what happens if they say he's ineligible?? You can see where this is going

Avoid the headache and reclassify and enroll at Texas? Could this be a possibility? 

4 minutes ago, DogNation said:

Avoid the headache and reclassify and enroll at Texas? Could this be a possibility? 

Texas would have to accept his commitment, but thats a possibility....but doesnt change the fact he's eligible somewhere...every student is

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 6:08 PM, neveragain said:

The DEC looks at one thing and one thing only.  That is the PAPF.  If it is signed off by the kids former AD then they ask nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyClydePuckett said:

The DEC votes on EVERY Transfer no matter what the circumstances.

A lot of districts have it in their minutes to not hold a vote if the PAPF is clean, they file it but no actual vote is taken...just depends on the DEC 

23 hours ago, MattStepp said:

A lot of districts have it in their minutes to not hold a vote if the PAPF is clean, they file it but no actual vote is taken...just depends on the DEC 

so if you transfer because your parents move to a new city and the uil says its a move for athletic reasons, how is the player elgible in his old town if his legal guardians don't live there anymore?

4 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

so if you transfer because your parents move to a new city and the uil says its a move for athletic reasons, how is the player elgible in his old town if his legal guardians don't live there anymore?

Key words here are “transfer” and “move”.  They are not the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

He's established residency at his previous school therefore he's still eligible there

• Like 2