College Football Teams that waste the most Talent..

Sportsfanatic1

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to College Football Teams that waste the most Talent..
On 2/25/2023 at 12:52 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

The problem with lists like this is that it's easy enough to pull the recruiting/talent rankings and compare that to wins over certain time periods. It's not a subjective metric. Utah on that list kinda destroys any credibility it might have. 

Yep, and Nebraska hasn’t had a lot of elite talent in the past 10-12 years

49 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

2022- 41st
2021- 20th
2020- 20th
2019- 17th
2018- 23rd
2017- 23rd
2016- 26th
2015- 30th
2014- 35th
2013- 22nd
2012- 32nd

Not that great....

That is good for the Big 10 West. They have 5 out of their last 6 classes in the top 25 and can't win 6 games.

That is pretty wasteful.

41 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Wisconsin: 38, 46, 30, 27, 16, 41

Minnesota: 60, 38, 49, 39, 39, 52

Iowa: 41, 40, 46, 35, 27, 39

Those are the rankings of the other top Big 10 West teams from 2017-2022. Nebraska is at least the same and better most years.

Your point doesn't move the dial for me.  There are other teams worthy of being on this list over Nebraska's duds.  UCLA, Mississippi St, Miami, Florida St.  They all have had WAY better recruiting years than Nebraska but have accomplished about the same as the Huskers.

21 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Let's turn this topic on its head a bit...

Which Schools have done More With Less:  Let's keep it to top 10.

5.) Oklahoma State. I like to rip on them, but the truth is that Mike Gundy is much better at X's and O's than he is at finding the Jimmy's and Joe's. Their recruiting seldom ranks high, but dang if they don't win more than they lose.   

4.) Wisconsin. Between their academics and antiquated system, it's hard to build an elite roster outside of the occasional piledriving RB. But Wisky hardly ever stinks. 

3.) Pittsburgh. They rarely pull top talent, and yet they seldom have losing season. Seems like they play a lot better-talented teams pretty close. 

2.) Cincinnati. They seem to go through coaches fairly often, and yet they're always solid. Not great, but always competitive. 

1.) Tulane. I've actually ordered a t-shirt. That's right. I'm a t-shirt fan for Tulane. Come at me. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Let's turn this topic on its head a bit...

Which Schools have done More With Less:  Let's keep it to top 10.

You will notice with my rankings, P5 schools will get less credit mainly because their recruiting classes are generally higher.

10. Oklahoma St.
9. Kentucky
8. Iowa St.
7. Utah
6. Baylor
5. Cincinatti
4. Appalachian St
3. UTSA
2. Houston
1. Central Florida (UCF) - Fake championship or not, they came out of nowhere and sustained successful seasons much in the same way Boise St has after shocking OU all those years ago in Arizona.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

5.) Oklahoma State. I like to rip on them, but the truth is that Mike Gundy is much better at X's and O's than he is at finding the Jimmy's and Joe's. Their recruiting seldom ranks high, but dang if they don't win more than they lose.   

4.) Wisconsin. Between their academics and antiquated system, it's hard to build an elite roster outside of the occasional piledriving RB. But Wisky hardly ever stinks. 

3.) Pittsburgh. They rarely pull top talent, and yet they seldom have losing season. Seems like they play a lot better-talented teams pretty close. 

2.) Cincinnati. They seem to go through coaches fairly often, and yet they're always solid. Not great, but always competitive. 

1.) Tulane. I've actually ordered a t-shirt. That's right. I'm a t-shirt fan for Tulane. Come at me. 

Tulane had a 2 win season just a few years ago if i remember correctly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coach Rab said:

Tulane had a 2 win season just a few years ago if i remember correctly.

2022    12-2
2021    2-10
2020    6-6
2019    7-6
2018    7-6
2017    5-7
2016    4-8
2015    3-9
2014    3-9
2013    7-6
2012    2-10

In their "good" years they hover right around .500 but they usually stay below sea level. Wink wink, nudge nudge. 

There's really no reason for them to even be passable. They "compete" with LSU (and most of the SEC) for all the elite in-state talent, which means they have to make do with the scraps of a mediocre schoolboy football state (overall). 

But they won me over this season.

I really think they've got a chance to turn it around and become a reasonably solid .750 program in a lower-tier conference. Remarkable, considering everything they've got going against them. 

16 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Tulane?  They were 2-10 last season