'Greater Idaho' movement to absorb conservative rural counties from liberal Oregon gains momentum

Monte1076

23 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

This is the way.

I'm still not sure it'll go anywhere. I could see Idaho's legislature voting for it, but I really don't see Oregon's. Portland, and the Portland area, have too much influence in the Oregon legislature. Both legislatures would need to OK it. Oregon would lose House seats that Idaho would likely gain.

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm still not sure it'll go anywhere. I could see Idaho's legislature voting for it, but I really don't see Oregon's. Portland, and the Portland area, have too much influence in the Oregon legislature. Both legislatures would need to OK it. Oregon would lose House seats that Idaho would likely gain.

Yea it’s dumb to need the approval of the captures. Plus the Congress has to approve, that won’t happen. The only hope of getting out of trash blue states is to move.

5 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

I'd love to see it play out......

I know Constitutionally that a state cannot form within another state (i.e. Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin, Ellis, and Johnson counties couldn't form their own state), but what would happen, out of curiosity, if the Texas Legislature simply voted that Texas was again the Republic of Texas? What do you think the U.S. could/would do?

6 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I know Constitutionally that a state cannot form within another state (i.e. Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin, Ellis, and Johnson counties couldn't form their own state), but what would happen, out of curiosity, if the Texas Legislature simply voted that Texas was again the Republic of Texas? What do you think the U.S. could/would do?

WHERE in The Constitution does it say any of that at all???

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

WHERE in The Constitution does it say any of that at all???

Article 4, Section 3.

https://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_A4Sec3.html

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

in bold.

2 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Not relevant in this case .....they ain't trying to form a new state .....

True, but the other part may be relevant:

nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Although I think that might be more relevant to that "state of Jefferson" thing.

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

So how would that work, though? These counties just all take a vote and say "We're part of Idaho now"? I'd think that would complicate not only the state, but the Federal legislatures.

Up to them......free me don't ask permission.....

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’d love to see it, especially if the elector votes increase for Idaho, and decrease for Oregon, due to the population transfer.

The most it would likely change by, I think, would be one electoral vote.

23 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

The statement on house seats is the reason Oregon will oppose it