State bill could separate urban/rural schools in 6A playoffs

Mr. P

Playoff Reform Bill could change high school football post-season
https://www.cbs7.com/2023/03/06/landgrafs-playoff-reform-bill-could-change-high-school-football-post-season/

AUSTIN — According to the office of State Rep. Brooks Landgraf, Landgraf has filed House Bill 3349 with the goal to modernize the University Interscholastic League (UIL) playoff divisions and restore fairness in Class 6A football competition.

Currently, the UIL divides Class 6A teams into two playoff divisions based only on school enrollments. The representative’s office says HB 3349 would direct the UIL to better balance the two playoff divisions in Class 6A by basing those divisions on county population, rather than enrollment data. Under Landgraf’s proposal, 6A teams from counties with a population exceeding 500,000 would be in one division, and 6A teams from counties with a population under 500,000 would be in a separate division.

“This proposal is designed to level the playing field in high school football,” Landgraf said. “It’s not a coincidence that 6A schools all across Texas have been shut out of late-round playoff competition under the current, broken system. Community size is a bigger factor than enrollment within the 6A classification, and I believe UIL’s system should reflect that reality.”

Since the inception of the UIL’s 6A classification in 2014, with one exception, every state champion in both 6A playoff divisions has hailed from a county with more than 1.1 million people. Longview High School is the only team from rural Texas to win a 6A state championship in football.

“Student athletes should be able to compete on a level playing field,” the bill’s author noted. “I’m not filing this bill to make anything easy for anyone, but I am fighting to make this system fair for everyone,” Landgraf concluded.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

As if there aren't more IMPORTANT things that need to be done this session .........

We need to separate D1-D2 in all sports in my opinion. we have 3a schools playing other 3a schools with 300 more kids. That's just my thoughts 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

As if there aren't more IMPORTANT things that need to be done this session .........

I feel fairly certain they will work on other items as well. They usually work on many bills in a session. 

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

The number for these teachers raises keep dropping...Started at $15,000 and the last number I had heard was $5,000. I knew $15,000 wasn't going to happen, but geez...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TIMRIGGINS said:

We need to separate D1-D2 in all sports in my opinion. we have 3a schools playing other 3a schools with 300 more kids. That's just my thoughts 

Agreed, it’s tough on the schools in basketball and baseball playing schools twice their size in district sometimes and often in playoffs.  

Interesting idea, but I think this is most logical at lower classifications. Nothing like the 3A state basketball game being Dallas Madison vs San Antonio Cole. 4A small towns competing against Faith Family who's district lines span Avalon ISD, Cedar Hill ISD, Dallas ISD, DeSoto ISD, Duncanville ISD, Ennis ISD, Ferris ISD, Grand Prairie ISD, Italy ISD, Lancaster ISD, Maypearl ISD,  Midlothian ISD, Milford ISD, Palmer ISD, Red Oak ISD, Waxahachie ISD. 

Putting a town of 4000 against a city of 1.3 Million seems a little ignorant. 

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

The number for these teachers raises keep dropping...Started at $15,000 and the last number I had heard was $5,000. I knew $15,000 wasn't going to happen, but geez...

I'm more interested in a COLA.......lol

Rules in Texas HS football have been changed over the years to benefit the bigger more athletics players.  These new rules have taken the ave size player out of the game.  No more blocking below the waist, total change on how we are suppose to tackle.  The guys that are 5'10" 190-200lbs on the Oline/Dline can not have the same effect blocking as they did 20 years ago.  I remember how we were taught, for some reason that is now dangerous to HS players.

So in other words, if you have bigger and faster athletes you more than likely win (because of rule changes).  No more of the MORE PHYSICAL teams winning. 

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNR said:

Rules in Texas HS football have been changed over the years to benefit the bigger more athletics players.  These new rules have taken the ave size player out of the game.  No more blocking below the waist, total change on how we are suppose to tackle.  The guys that are 5'10" 190-200lbs on the Oline/Dline can not have the same effect blocking as they did 20 years ago.  I remember how we were taught, for some reason that is now dangerous to HS players.

So in other words, if you have bigger and faster athletes you more than likely win (because of rule changes).  No more of the MORE PHYSICAL teams winning. 

Just my 2 cents

You mean rules implemented to improve player safety? The bigger, stronger, faster teams have always been the ones who win. Now its just less likely little johnny doesn't get killed attempting to throw a bad cut block on a bigger kid. The game is still violent and physical. We just teach improved techniques to keep kids healthy. If you don't think the teams winning state are physical go and visit Shiner, Mart, SOC or any other winning program. They are physical and impose their will on who they play.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beastx89 said:

You mean rules implemented to improve player safety? The bigger, stronger, faster teams have always been the ones who win. Now its just less likely little johnny doesn't get killed attempting to throw a bad cut block on a bigger kid. The game is still violent and physical. We just teach improved techniques to keep kids healthy. If you don't think the teams winning state are physical go and visit Shiner, Mart, SOC or any other winning program. They are physical and impose their will on who they play.

No, I have never seen those schools play

4 hours ago, GNR said:

Just my 2 cents

I agree but the other guy might not. Physics could be used back then but now just stronger is better .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beastx89 said:

You mean rules implemented to improve player safety? The bigger, stronger, faster teams have always been the ones who win. Now it’s just less likely little johnny doesn't get killed attempting to throw a bad cut block on a bigger kid. The game is still violent and physical. We just teach improved techniques to keep kids healthy. If you don't think the teams winning state are physical go and visit Shiner, Mart, SOC or any other winning program. They are physical and impose their will on who they play.

Hasn’t always been bigger , faster, stronger winning. The ability of a 170 lb.kid with quickness— I’ll take any day. And as far as safety goes , in the spread 2 kids going full speed and colliding is much more dangerous than kids blocking below the waist from 2-3 yards away.Think of it this way— which is more deadly- 2 vehicles going 60 mph hitting head on - or a vehicle going 60mph hitting a still object. Corny but true.😎

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dogs3505 said:

explain

"Creating 7A" is based solely upon "enrollment". It does nothing to alter the circumstances for schools in rural counties that have similar "7A enrollment" numbers.

The proposal on the table is to separate high enrollment schools in rural counties that do not have access to the same socio-logistical advantages that schools in metropolitan counties have. 

**it is worthy of note that a potential 7A would likely be comprised primarily of schools in metropolitan counties (similar to current 6A).