Coaching and years per school

GNR

Say a coach has been coaching 20 years, what do you think his average number of years per school be?

30 years-number of years per school?

Please consider a coach that is looking to move up and has a desire to be an AD/Head Football (not all coaches have this desire).

I will start with average of 4 years. At some schools a shorter time and at other school longer time. Also the situation at a school dictates how long an assistant may stay at a particular school. Have heard of coaches never unpacking their suitcase. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, GNR said:

Say a coach has been coaching 20 years, what do you think his average number of years per school be?

30 years-number of years per school?

Please consider a coach that is looking to move up and has a desire to be an AD/Head Football (not all coaches have this desire).

I would not bat an eye at 8 or more Schools. These can add up quick especially now a days, with the shortage allowing people to chase money and titles faster. Start at a middle school straight out of college, Move to a high school position at a school for 1-2 years, maybe a more prominent or better paying school for a few,  Oc job, better oc job, AD Change? Find another job. Knowing a coach is lucky to make it four years as an AD somewhere reality sets in you have to move to move up.

Only red flag would be a string of 1 and dones with no clear promotion. 

• Like 1

When I was AD it bothered me on resumes if coaches had multiple moves,  especially one and dones...was never as big of an issue if the moves were what I considered promotions-bigger schools or bigger responsiblities...multiple Lateral moves or moves that I considered demotions were red flags.  On the original question 20+ years coaching at same school (JH to Varsity Asst to head baseball to DC and then AD/HDF and was at the same district for 34

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darktower said:

When I was AD it bothered me on resumes if coaches had multiple moves,  especially one and dones...was never as big of an issue if the moves were what I considered promotions-bigger schools or bigger responsiblities...multiple Lateral moves or moves that I considered demotions were red flags.  On the original question 20+ years coaching at same school (JH to Varsity Asst to head baseball to DC and then AD/HDF and was at the same district for 34

This has definitely been a consideration in the past. In today's world there are many more factors in play. The degree to which coaches are underpaid, AD regime changes, general political climate/agendas in rural school districts. Most districts desire a degree of loyalty but do little to meet the needs of those whom they seek loyalty.  

Edited by 89Falcon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

This has definitely been a consideration in the past. In today's world there are many more factors in play. The degree to which coaches are underpaid, AD regime changes, general political climate/agendas in rural school districts. Most districts desire a degree of loyalty but do little to meet the needs of those whom they seek loyalty.  

True

• Like 1

This is why you check references and try to find common acquaintances to figure out why things were going on. People will put references down they have good relationships with. 

I’ve seen people start off rough in their careers and end up kicking butt and taking names and that could be the cause for change. If there are a lot of changes and the applicant has been in a larger school district, it could also point to bad administration or bad staffs that are getting reassigned. 

There are a lot of factors involved. Another BIG flag for me is when someone doesn’t send their references with their resume…that’s bigger to me than seeing someone job hop. 

• Like 1