UPDATE: Mount Vernon hires Clayton George

MattStepp

6 hours ago, Bclove05 said:

I’m not on top of school bonds, but I was under the impression you have to wait 2 years if a bond failed. Someone lied to me. 🤣

Yes they did.. And….

I don’t think this hire is gonna be a splash.  More like ripple…

Edited by BringBacktheVEER

12 hours ago, VonG said:

That's the same 💩 he sold to Tisd. If his family doesn't join him you can believe he will be one and done.

His wife is from Sulphur Springs so I'm guessing they'll move back to the area.

"It’s exciting for my family and I to join a great school district and community," he said. "It’s a chance to be back home and close to family. My wife is from Sulphur Springs, so its very close to where she’s from. We are ready to add a lot of purple to our wardrobe."

He is from Athens. That's what he told Tisd. It didn't work out for Lee.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://tylerpaper.com/sports/george-is-new-robert-e-lee-football-coach/article_e9c08d92-f205-55bc-bb92-2641cc3313ea.amp.html&ved=2ahUKEwjey9-PkNL9AhU0k2oFHQuPDUsQFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1HMDg5NkcqT7o5AqRhPGY7

Same thing different day. Good luck and congratulations Mt. Vernon. 

Edited by VonG

11 hours ago, bootleg11 said:

Is the community support bad in Mount Vernon?  

I’m excited about this hire- look, I see the track record of him not staying places long (MV has a history of coaches not sticking around long anyway - 6 since 2010) as far as a losing UNT staff, that doesn’t bother me, look what that staff did and is doing in the HS ranks - I’m guessing most of the MV staff from the last few years will be gone- but I doubt MV goes back to the Slot T now- He certainly comes from a fantastic coaching tree- The MV community is supportive of their students and student athletes . Just my read. MV will be in good shape - The Defense will be stout - Offense has great weapons returning as well- We are a QB away from being right in the mix again- “something” tells me that QB will not be an issue . Looking forward to another good season in Tiger Country 

Edited by mvtigerbacker
  • Like 1

I’ve never seen community support as an issue at MV, born and raised here. We always had lots of support and still do. My biggest hope is that they build the program, work with the JH and JV more. There hasn’t been much focus on the younger groups in the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Mike2171 said:

I’ve never seen community support as an issue at MV, born and raised here. We always had lots of support and still do. My biggest hope is that they build the program, work with the JH and JV more. There hasn’t been much focus on the younger groups in the last few years. 

Probably hasn't been to much player development with sub varsity teams since Finny left. When Briles showed up been more about winning, same goes with the past HC, imo. Which I get it is the purpose. JV and JH teams didn't look to good last season, imo. 

18 hours ago, blackngoldtiger said:

Probably hasn't been to much player development with sub varsity teams since Finny left. When Briles showed up been more about winning, same goes with the past HC, imo. Which I get it is the purpose. JV and JH teams didn't look to good last season, imo. 

If I have any complaint around the last 4 years of the program this would be it- but keep in mind MV has played their really good underclassman on Varsity the last 4 years - move them back to JV and those records for the underclass squads are a different story 

Edited by mvtigerbacker

2 hours ago, mvtigerbacker said:

If I have any complaint around the last 4 years of the program this would be it- but keep in mind MV has played their really good underclassman on Varsity the last 4 years - move them back to JV and those records for the underclass squads are a different story 

I get that but so have other programs/schools and they still have good sub varsity programs. Hope it all works out with the new AD/HC. 

20 hours ago, sportsfan122316 said:

I think MV has faired just fine the past 4 years. Lower levels are not about wins, and when they have got to varsity level, they sure have won. MV needs to pass a bond, kids deserve it. Good luck to Coach George.

Certainly the kids deserve it as they always do in these situations. Unfortunately, i see ZERO chance that it passes this year or anytime soon. I could be proven wrong but i am just basing it off of last year as it was not necessarily that close plus turnout was low. Add in the fact that they added $11.6 million to the total, i just dont see it being successful a year later. 

The bond will not pass, it’s part A (school needs) and Part B (sports). The sports part is turf on football field, making visitors stands into home stands and enlarging plus new press boxes. Also new baseball and softball fields with turf and new tennis courts. The sports part will not pass and I don’t expect the other part to pass. We can hope though. Total is like $63 million both parts together 

Edited by Mike2171