San Fran Considers $5M Reparations

ObiOne

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Well, the real life example I gave where a man enriched he and his family’s lives by taking full advantage of our system, which caters to minorities.

The only way people do not accept that minorities are given special privileges white people are not is because they don’t want to.

I am not griping about it either.  Telecom Electric Supply having an advantage competing distributors do not has not hurt me, and Affirmative Action hasn’t hurt me.  AA did keep my father-in-law from getting a job years ago, but it didn’t deter his success in life either just moved on to the next opportunity.

Just be objective, look at the world for what it is.

The only reason blacks have problems with cops is because they’re doing stuff they shouldn’t and then resisting, I mean, act right and if you’re caught don’t try to flee from or fight the cops, it’s ignorant.

Just telling the truth.  We have to be brave enough to speak the truth or else we’ll just keep going around in this stupid circle.

It is still much easier to be white in this country than to be a POC in every aspect of our society.

There are still overt acts of racism every single day in our country.

There are people who are black who interact with cops and end up being injured or even killed who haven't done anything to deserve the outcome.

Those are true statements. Your view is an optimistic one and probably sadly not a purposefully oblivious one but a naive one. 

• SMH 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

5 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

It is still much easier to be white in this country than to be a POC in every aspect of our society.

There are people who are black who interact with cops and end up being injured or even killed who haven't done anything to deserve the outcome.

Those are true statements. Your view is an optimistic one and probably sadly not a purposefully oblivious one but a naive one. 

I can accept that my view is an optimistic one.  I am an optimistic person by nature.

I want what’s best for everyone of all colors.

I also want all of us to be responsible and accountable for our actions.

I do believe there have been blacks who’ve been injured and even killed by cop totally unwarranted.

We also know many, many times these things happen there’s a lot of resisting or running.

We need to have an honest assessment of where we’re at.

Are there bad cops, YES.

Are there good cops, YES.

I say any policeman who has done wrong should be given the heaviest of penalties possible within the law, because they are supposed to be examples for everyone in the community of how a person is to behave.

I think we want the same results, which is everyone being treated fairly and for bad cops to be expelled and punished.  I am all for every bit of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BarryLaverty said:

Looks like people of color do better than whites in the US, financially.  

In 2021, median household income varied considerably by race and ethnicity
Race/Ethnicity of Household Head 2020 Median Household Income (2021 dollars) 2021 Median Household Income
Asian $99,622 $101,418
White, not Hispanic $78,912 $77,999
Hispanic (any race) $58,015 $57,981
Black $48,175 $48,297
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Fixed it big time for you. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

What benefits do Asian Americans receive that other races in America do not?

I
On 3/16/2023 at 9:14 AM, EnjoyLife said:

If I identify as a black person can I get a cut?????

Just kidding.

Black Americans have not received fair and equitable treatment in this country and no doubt that has harmed them financially...but I do not think handing someone $5,000,000 because of the color of their skin is the answer to closing the wealth gap either. I am not sure what the answer is. 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:38 AM, ObiOne said:

Have Asian Americans received fair and equitable treatment in this country?  Has this treatment harmed them financially?  What different treatment do Asian Americans receive that African Americans do not?

2 hours ago, ObiOne said:
I

Basically what you are asking is...why have Asian Americans been able to become so successful (highest earning ethnic group in the country) while black Americans (generally speaking) lag behind. I would say that the reason Asians tend to be successful is because they have a culture that emphasizes education and long term success and they have stable families. I dont think I have ever even seen a statistic showing the percentage of Asian out of wedlock births. In the past black Americans were handicapped by unfair laws (from slavery to Jim Crow) and that prevented many of them from being able to build the kind of generational wealth that many whites were able to build...but in 2023 I would say that the biggest obstacle for many black Americans is cultural. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Basically what you are asking is...why have Asian Americans been able to become so successful (highest earning ethnic group in the country) while black Americans (generally speaking) lag behind. I would say that the reason Asians tend to be successful is because they have a culture that emphasizes education and long term success and they have stable families. I dont think I have ever even seen a statistic showing the percentage of Asian out of wedlock births. In the past black Americans were handicapped by unfair laws (from slavery to Jim Crow) and that prevented many of them from being able to build the kind of generational wealth that many whites were able to build...but in 2023 I would say that the biggest obstacle for many black Americans is cultural. 

I concur. Being successful has very little, if any to do with the color of one's skin.  Now if we could only move on to more important issues.  But gov and media can't have that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Apparently one of the proposals was also for $1 houses. Seriously. I hope all the proposals pass. See how fast people leave San Francisco.

It would be a good case study. I'd like to see how it turns out lol

6 hours ago, ObiOne said:

The smoaky brain trust must still be thinking on what benefits some people of color have over other people of color.  

No, Barry just worried about the blacks because he thinks they’re stupid, as he has already labeled them that over voter IDs

On 3/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, BarryLaverty said:

Always the victim right.