Florida's Stop W.O.K.E. Act leads textbook company to strip mentions of race out of Rosa Parks story

BarryLaverty

15 hours ago, ctown81 said:

At no point did I say the dems weren't racist. Never tried to make that argument. Like I said , the racist southern voters switched sides and Republicans changed to cater to them. Never did I say politicians switched sides. 

🤔

6 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Just like i said the last time his name was mentioned on this this thread, I never said the democratic party wasn't racist. Also, MULTIPLE times, i said THE RACIST WHITE VOTERS left the party and both dems and rep had to adjust. Why do I have to keep saying the same thing over again. Also, the ideology is NOT racism, it's conservative vs liberal. Let me help you.

How do conservatives feel about deregulation?

How do conservatives feel about social programs? 

How do conservatives feel about state rights?

What's racist about any of that?

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Can you give another explanation for the Democrats never winning the white southern vote after 1968?

If I hate black people and my party signs a bill to end Jim Crow. I would be upset at that point ANYTHING was better than the dems to them. In 72 Nixon got the ones who voted for Wallace in 68.

Democrats did, and I showed that they have with Carter, partially Clinton, and Obama.  The main turning point on why you saw southern states go red was because of Carter's economic policies.  Take a look at it, the only states that Carter won in 1980 was Georgia (his home state), Minnesota, Maryland, Minnesota (been a blue state for a long time for some odd reason), Rhode Island, and West Virginia.  Why ?  People were hurting bad because of Carter.  Reagan brought us out of that mess, and why he won in a landslide in 1984.  Last night, I saw this clip, and I thought who will be the next Reagan to lead U.S. out of Government dependence ?  Is it Trump, well I was doing a lot better under him until the stupid Wuhan.  Is it Desantis ?  I don't know.  Today Biden rejected the GOP budget, because he said too many American lives are on the line.  Why are so many people dependent on the Government ?

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Can you give another explanation for the Democrats never winning the white southern vote after 1968?

If I hate black people and my party signs a bill to end Jim Crow. I would be upset at that point ANYTHING was better than the dems to them. In 72 Nixon got the ones who voted for Wallace in 68.

CRA 64 south votes for a segregationist in 68, literally the whole country votes for Nixon in 72. 76 next election the south is all democrat again for Carter. There is no switch man, it’s not there no matter how bad you want it to be.

3 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Those whites in 68 that left were the racist ones.i said NOTHING about now. That's when Republicans became super conservative. This convo was about con vs lib. YOU asked me when the switch happened. Racism played a part in 1968. Whether or not you agree, it's not hard to understand what I'm saying.

You literally have zero proof racism played a part in 68. I understand what you’re saying, it just isn’t logical to add the motives you do when the voting records say otherwise. Were they not still Republican racist when carter won the south?

2C648462-D47F-469D-87D8-C70772FFB14F.png

Edited by Youngcoach123

10 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

You literally have zero proof racism played a part in 68. I understand what you’re saying, it just isn’t logical to add the motives you do when the voting records say otherwise. Were they not still Republican racist when carter won the south?

When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail. 

21 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

He does, because they voted for Wallace in the heart of the South : Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.  Wallace remained a Democrat however and was Governor of Alabama until 1987 with a couple of hiatuses.  Texas while voting red in some Presidential elections was still a blue state on the inside.  From 1874 - 1978 Texas was run by only Democrat Governors.  What changed that James Earl Carter.  Bill Clements was elected lost re-election to Mark White, won it back in 1986, and then in 1990 Ann Richards became Governor.  Texans realize the Republican policies work where Democrats don't.  We did have to switch overs from the Democrat Party to the Republican Party with Ralph Hall and Phil Gramm, both in the 80's because of Reagan.  

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I'm confused. Are you saying race should be taken out of history books? 

No, I’m saying use common sense. Race is a part of our history. It isn’t the history. I’ve studied history for many years. There are different cultures, ethnicities, characteristics, etc…. Always has been and always will be.  Some people had it worse than others. Teach that and move on to something positive. To dwell on the negative past to keep people distracted and divided does not seem constructive to me. Maybe I have it all wrong and you can explain it to me better. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

No, I’m saying use common sense. Race is a part of our history. It isn’t the history. I’ve studied history for many years. There are different cultures, ethnicities, characteristics, etc…. Always has been and always will be.  Some people had it worse than others. Teach that and move on to something positive. To dwell on the negative past to keep people distracted and divided does not seem constructive to me. Maybe I have it all wrong and you can explain it to me better. 

The article wasn't dwelling on the past, it just pointed out the erasure of histoy by removing her race. 

As far as us moving forward, I'll put it this way. Understanding why someone may think a certain way is the best place to start. It doesn't mean you agree with them, but you can see why they think that way and that's my issue here.

For example, if you say affirmative action should have never existed, I totally understand why you think that way. May not agree but understand.

But, if I say I don't trust police officers as a black man, everyone acts as if there is no possible way or reason to think like that, which is crazy not to understand where I'm coming from as if it came out of thin air, which is an insult which starts arguments. Like I said, understanding where someone comes from does not mean you agree.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ctown81 said:

The article wasn't dwelling on the past, it just pointed out the erasure of histoy by removing her race. 

As far as us moving forward, I'll put it this way. Understanding why someone may think a certain way is the best place to start. It doesn't mean you agree with them, but you can see why they think that way and that's my issue here.

For example, if you say affirmative action should have never existed, I totally understand why you think that way. May not agree but understand.

But, if I say I don't trust police officers as a black man, everyone acts as if there is no possible way or reason to think like that, which is crazy not to understand where I'm coming from as if it came out of thin air, which is an insult which starts arguments. Like I said, understanding where someone comes from does not mean you agree.

You make some good points.  I don't believe affirmative action is needed today.  For what it is worth, I don't trust the police. More so the power hungry, win at all costs, DA's. 

But if race is still such a big issue in the US, why does the left have to fabricate racism ?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ObiOne said:

You make some good points.  I don't believe affirmative action is needed today.  For what it is worth, I don't trust the police. More so the power hungry, win at all costs, DA's. 

I agree 100%

5 hours ago, ObiOne said:

But if race is still such a big issue in the US, why does the left have to fabricate racism ?

the left fabricates SOME which I hate b/c it makes the real stuff easy to dismiss while the right claims it's ALL fabricated. 

33 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I agree 100%

the left fabricates SOME which I hate b/c it makes the real stuff easy to dismiss

This is a good point. But "some"? I'd say a little more than "some". It also is a good reason why people shouldn't say every little thing is "racist" or "rooted in white supremacy" or "rooted in whiteness" or whatever. "Math" is not racist. "Schedules" are not racist. "Science" is not racist. "Time" is not racist.

For examples, see here: https://notthebee.com/article/thread-things-that-are-now-racist). See how many you agree with.

I would imagine you would agree with very few of them. I'm pretty sure you don't think an "organized pantry" in your house is racist. I'm pretty sure you'd be glad it was, so you could find what you were looking for easily.

Edited by Monte1076

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

The left fabricates SOME which I hate b/c it makes the real stuff easy to dismiss while the right claims it's ALL fabricated. 

I don't think the right believes that all racism is fabricated.  I think most conservatives are against racism.  There are obviously outliers on both sides.  I can't think of the last high profile, TRUE, racist story.  But there have been several fabricated ones.  If it was so common, doesn't seem like you would need to make it up. You would just shine the light on the real racist and that would be sufficient.  

Edited by ObiOne